Help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The Mad One said:
all cables checked and are correct

you have checked that the cables connect the right sockets.

there is the potential chance that one of the cables is incorrectly wired internally - is it possible for you to use any spare duplicate cables, to check if changing any of the cables, solves your problem?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I think you can set your Mac to upsample from 16/44.1 to higher, for example 24/192.

This is just an experiment to check if it's a firmware bug.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I think you can set your Mac to upsample from 16/44.1 to higher, for example 24/192.

This is just an experiment to check if it's a firmware bug.

Taken from the mojo FAQ

Q. Do I need a driver for Macs? (OSX)[/b]

No. OSX supports high-res PCM playback. You will want to match the output sample rate with the music sample rate. You can set this in Audio Midi Setup. Many "audiophile" players (Audirvana Plus, Amarra, VOX etc.) will auto-switch the sample rate to match the music. You don't want OSX re-sampling the music!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Alright, you guys sort it out. Too many chefs in the kitchen this way. Mike knows what he's doing.
thumbs_up.gif

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
If this is a problem with the mojo with changing adjusting sotware then im sorry id rather just stick with the arcam ir dac even though its clearly not as good.

but its its simlpy plug n play then so be it.

canot be bothered with this hype of a better sound if your prepared to fanny around for an age to get it just so,

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem with my irdac using Apple devices connected to it. I contacted Arcam and they were aware of the problem. They claimed Apple made some changes that led to the channels being reversed. I downloaded the latest firmware for the irdac and problem sorted.

I do not have this issue with the mojo. Do you have the latest firmware on the irdac. Maybe you've been listening to the irdac wrong way around all along which now makes the mojo seem wrong even though it may actually be right?

An Arcam iPod dock I use also has this problem but firmware can't be updated. Easy solution, swap the cables.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
I had this problem with my irdac using Apple devices connected to it. I contacted Arcam and they were aware of the problem. They claimed Apple made some changes that led to the channels being reversed. I downloaded the latest firmware for the irdac and problem sorted.

I do not have this issue with the mojo. Do you have the latest firmware on the irdac. Maybe you've been listening to the irdac wrong way around all along which now makes the mojo seem wrong even though it may actually be right?

An Arcam iPod dock I use also has this problem but firmware can't be updated. Easy solution, swap the cables.

Interesting

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Turns out it could be the irdac that was doing the channels in revers and the mojo was doing it right. :)

i think you should get a Mojo Vladimir. You always express a keen interest in it. Would be great for your new set up.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
Vladimir said:
Turns out it could be the irdac that was doing the channels in revers and the mojo was doing it right. :)

i think you should get a Mojo Vladimir. You always express a keen interest in it. Would be great for your new set up.

My active desktop speakers accept balanced connection via TRS or XLR. I'm sure you could see how a battery powered portable DAC with unbalanced 3.5mm output is not the ideal solution here.

Also I have no hi-res music, I just stream via Tidal (320AAC) and Youtube (192 MP3). I wouldn't use the Mojo even if I had it laying around. The Lexicon Alpha is much better suited in this application.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
ChrisIRL said:
Vladimir said:

My active desktop speakers accept balanced connection via TRS or XLR. I'm sure you could see how a battery powered portable DAC with unbalanced 3.5mm output is not the ideal solution here.

Also I have no hi-res music, I just stream via Tidal (320AAC) and Youtube (192 MP3). I wouldn't use the Mojo even if I had it laying around. The Lexicon Alpha is much better suited in this application.

You could get rca adapters maybe?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
3.5mm is a compromise in connectivity and too fragile. I prefer my hefty Neutrik TRS-XLR double shielded professional cables. Plus I get a balanced connection.

Ideally I would use a Benchmark DAC2 HGC.
heart.gif

e5569ce2_Pa4vJAM.jpeg

SN2uQRl.png

And it has a remote! :)

benchmark-media-systems-dac2-hgc-1280506.gif

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
OK

Ive just spent an hour pulling my hifi apart disconnecting all cables then one by one put it all back testing each bit of equipment as i go using the same track until finally ive found the culprit.

its the bloody QED J2P Cable it must be wired round the wrong way weird. *diablo*

But hey at least its not the mojo or Amp

Apologies for the rant yesterday but a few glasses of wine and i was beginning to wind myself up and couldn't se the wood through the trees as they say. all could think of its the Mojo thats at fault, so being sobered up its all sorted and now im well enjoying my music although im sick of listening to Early mornin'rain *wacko*

P.S

Anyone thinking of purchasing the chord mojo youll not regret it, its fab *good*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
The Mad One said:
OK?

Ive just spent an hour pulling my hifi apart disconnecting all cables then one by one put it all back testing each bit of equipment as i go using the same track until finally ive found the culprit.

its the bloody QED J2P Cable it must be wired round the wrong way weird. *diablo*

But hey at least its not the mojo or Amp

Apologies for the rant yesterday but a few glasses of wine and i was beginning to wind myself up and couldn't se the wood through the trees as they say. all could think of its the Mojo thats at fault, so being sobered up its all sorted and now im well enjoying my music although im sick of listening to Early mornin'rain *wacko*

P.S

Anyone thinking of purchasing the chord mojo youll not regret it, its fab *good*

Is all that matters enjoy

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The Mad One said:
Apologies for the rant yesterday but a few glasses of wine and i was beginning to wind myself up and couldn't se the wood through the trees as they say.

Sorry if it seemed that I was asking a never ending list of questions last night, but I was just trying to eliminate possible root causes of the problem - one by one. *biggrin*

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
3.5mm is a compromise in connectivity and too fragile. I prefer my hefty Neutrik TRS-XLR double shielded professional cables. Plus I get a balanced connection.

I'm pulling your leg sorry. To be fair you stayed calm!

Perhaps for balanced output you could sellotape two mojo's together, double the love!

That would be like a whathifi 10 star rated dac then, be quite expensive so obviously better than anything else you've suggested.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I use USB 1.1 isochronous interface at 16/44.1 for streaming lossy music online through a pair of cheap and plastic Chinese made JBL speakers, connected with microphone cable, sitting on improvized stands.

Unfortunately the amazing details, clarity and vividness coming out of the Mojo will get suffocated and lost on my low fidelity setup. But some day when I purchase high fidelity speakers and amplifier, I may get a Chord Mojo and run it only on battery so the sound is super super clean.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I use USB 1.1 isochronous interface at 16/44.1 for streaming lossy music online through a pair of cheap and plastic Chinese made JBL speakers, connected with microphone cable, sitting on improvized stands.

Unfortunately the amazing details, clarity and vividness coming out of the Mojo will get suffocated and lost on my low fidelity setup. But some day when I purchase high fidelity speakers and amplifier, I may get a Chord Mojo and run it only on battery so the sound is super super clean.

As said I was joking with you. I've no doubt your system could teach a few things about unesseccary hifi expense.

To be fair to Chord though what they charge for the Mojo vs what they could have charged is a very encouraging step in the right direction for a hifi manufacturer imo.

The unanimous positive press it's receiving is at least an indication it's doing nothing terribly wrong as a dac. Personally I can't agree with the "all dacs sound the same" mindset of some, they simply don't. I've been through a few, all well reviewed, some expensive etc and in the mojo I've found an excellent performer regardless of price or reviews. Neither high price nor reviews led to influence my mind, otherwise I'd be a delusional owner of a £1400 Chord Hugo or worse.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I want that Benchmark DAC despite it's price exceeding a Chord Hugo. It's well made, good features, can serve as a preamp and it has studio alure to me. The flat neutral colorless digital sound is not what creates majority of the appeal. I can get that from 10 or 20 times cheaper gear. It would be an irrational purchase as much as any in hi-fi.

People who like small pocket and portable DACs will like the Mojo, or Hugo, or Meridian Explorer, or Dragonfly etc. The battery has its extra practical use. It is a valid product, but not for everyone and every application. In this instance, not my application. I object its toyish looks but that has never stopped me at getting something I want.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts