Help!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful - all of them. :) I've experimented with the V-DAC tonight and it just doesn't do anything for me in this context. It seems to rein in the soundstage and make everything sound very dry, also adding a splashiness to cymbals that isn't there without it. It also dampens the dynamism of the whole thing. The Crystal DAC in the 340C sounds better, and the experiment shows me that I really don't want to lose the clarity and openess that the 650A gives me. I've also experimented with speaker positioning and found that moving the speakers back only an inch or two has made a substantial difference. It has filled the sound out without losing the detail and fluidity. Listening to 'If Love Is King' by Barclay James Harvest now, I'm getting all the detail and spaciousness but properly underpinned, even at a relatively low volume level. What tonight has shown me is that the 650A is the right amp and that the 1030i are definitively the right speakers for me. The sound now just needs that lift that a better source will bring and as c.brown suggests I believe the 650C is the right player for the job. I am also going to buy some Chameleon Silver Plus (because it is a cable I know to be good from past experience) and investigate using the Chord Co. power cables. I am tempted to look out some of those Auioquest interconnects as well - if I prefer the CSP on the CD player I can utilise an Audioquest elsewhere. Will keep you posted.

I truly agree with this. I prefer the 340C's sound over the V-DAC. I had the 340C before (then went for the 640C V2, now running the 840C). The V-DAC doesn't sound very extended into the highs or the lows. It also sounds a bit slower, with details a bit more recessed. It does have a slightly deeper soundstage in my system, showing better layering.

Matthew, the 650C is a nice CDP. However, if you can go for the 740C or the 840C, they're a more refined listen. They reveal about the same level of detail as the 650, without any particular frequency sticking out.

Stagea:

matthewpiano:Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful - all of them. :) I've experimented with the V-DAC tonight and it just doesn't do anything for me in this context. It seems to rein in the soundstage and make everything sound very dry, also adding a splashiness to cymbals that isn't there without it. It also dampens the dynamism of the whole thing. The Crystal DAC in the 340C sounds better, and the experiment shows me that I really don't want to lose the clarity and openess that the 650A gives me. I've also experimented with speaker positioning and found that moving the speakers back only an inch or two has made a substantial difference. It has filled the sound out without losing the detail and fluidity. Listening to 'If Love Is King' by Barclay James Harvest now, I'm getting all the detail and spaciousness but properly underpinned, even at a relatively low volume level. What tonight has shown me is that the 650A is the right amp and that the 1030i are definitively the right speakers for me. The sound now just needs that lift that a better source will bring and as c.brown suggests I believe the 650C is the right player for the job. I am also going to buy some Chameleon Silver Plus (because it is a cable I know to be good from past experience) and investigate using the Chord Co. power cables. I am tempted to look out some of those Auioquest interconnects as well - if I prefer the CSP on the CD player I can utilise an Audioquest elsewhere. Will keep you posted.

I truly agree with this. I prefer the 340C's sound over the V-DAC. I had the 340C before (then went for the 640C V2, now running the 840C). The V-DAC doesn't sound very extended into the highs or the lows. It also sounds a bit slower, with details a bit more recessed. It does have a slightly deeper soundstage in my system, showing better layering.

Matthew, the 650C is a nice CDP. However, if you can go for the 740C or the 840C, they're a more refined listen. They reveal about the same level of detail as the 650, without any particular frequency sticking out.

Adding a Cambridge CDP still won't resolve the brightness. I suggest you look at Arcam 73T. You can pick'em up dirt cheap, it'll add warmth, detail and has a big grown-up sound - certainly outperform Cambridge C340 or other sub-£500 Cambridge machine imo.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Thank you stagea. It is reassuring that somebody else has found the same as me. It shows I'm not just being impossible!!

No problem. :) I've had a good number of Cambridge gear, and I agree that they're a bit bright. It takes some effort to match them with the right gear. They reveal a good lot for the price, however.

Arcams are really nice. The sound is lush yet detailed. I would've gotten them if I didn't get the 840C/E/W set.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Stagea:
matthewpiano:Thank you stagea. It is reassuring that somebody else has found the same as me. It shows I'm not just being impossible!!

No problem. :) I've had a good number of Cambridge gear, and I agree that they're a bit bright. It takes some effort to match them with the right gear. They reveal a good lot for the price, however.

Arcams are really nice. The sound is lush yet detailed. I would've gotten them if I didn't get the 840C/E/W set.

What speakers do you have with the 840s?

A

Anonymous

Matthew, I'm not a regular contributor, but I'm an avid reader of this forum, so don't take this the wrong way, but (here it comes): are you happy?

It seems that some people - and you at times - are viewing your quest for the best setup as a sort of ordeal, which it shouldn't be. You've obviously got the time, the resources and the experience to try and to rate all these different amps, speakers and cdp's. Isn't that search what makes this hobby of ours so much fun?

In the past year I changed my speakers, amp, cdp, amp again, tt, speakers again. It's all budget kit, but the improvements are really worth it. WHF and this forum - especially users like yourself - provide very useful guidelines, but not more than that. We're obviously all working with different budgets, room conditions, aesthetics, wives/girlfriends and what not. So I ended up with a 5 star amp nobody here seems to own, a 2 star cdp nobody mentions and, after a brief period with 5 star speakers, 3 star speakers nobody on this forum commented on. And very happy with it.

So my point is: don't forget to enjoy! You get to hear your favourite music through great kit, we get your thorough reviews and in the end, you'll find the sound you have been looking for all along. It might just be from a different system than you thought you were looking for! Because after all it's the sound that counts, not the box.
Again: I'm not being rude, actually just trying to cheer you up. Good luck!

Before splashing out on different equipment, wait until after Xmas and come down to my gaff for the day. Bring your Cambridge and fav music and let's see what difference it makes when connected to some of my gear.....the choice is yours
emotion-5.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Jack White:
... So my point is: don't forget to enjoy! ...

Wise words indeed.

I have a good friend which is a radiographer. Good job, good pay. He doesn't do hifi or even music but talk cars to him and you have his undivided attention ... for the rest of the day. A few years ago he started going to auctions and bought the odd banger to sell on. Soon thereafter he started to buy insurance write-offs, I think known as category C or D. He had them professionally and legally repaired and again, sold them initially to people he knew. It got 'bigger' and he spent most of his spare time sourcing, repairing and selling the things.

Today, after what must have been hundreds of cars, he has no savings, rents accomodation and drives an old carina despite now being the hospitals expert in nuclear radiography. What started as a hobby became an obsession (his own admission) and had he not spent his money that way he'd be driving a nice car ... and probably be much happier in the process, not necesseraly just because of the car either.

No lecture here, honestly MP and as Jack White, no insult intended whatsoever but you can only achieve so much with any hifi at lower prices. Whilst trowing cash at it is no guarantee for success it can get better and more importantly, widens choice with regards to different technologies.

You seem to be a thoroughly decent guy and I think you also have good ears and know what good sounds like but I somehow doubt you'll find it in the category you're continuesly keep dabbling in.

A

Anonymous

...this is why I suggested buying an iPod with really good headphones. A scarily talented system for little design and consideration.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:...this is why I suggested buying an iPod with really good headphones. A scarily talented system for little design and consideration.

My advice to Matthew has always been to look for older good gear ... problem is it all depends on what is available based on one's budget

buy a basic good system for cheap .... enjoy the music ... do your research save up and slowly upgrade 1 item at a time ... after 2 years, you should have a pretty good system ... seems to be working for me (so far) and will continue to upgrade in this manner

matthewpiano

igglebert:...this is why I suggested buying an iPod with really good headphones. A scarily talented system for little design and consideration.

I've got a Sony Walkman (sorry but I am loyal in that respecr) that I use with Beyer Dynamic DT770PRO headphones and it sounds awesome and I thoroughly enjoy it. I still love listening through speakers with my better half though so it doesn't negate the need for a really good system.

matthewpiano

Jack White and Drummerman -

Absolutely no offence taken whatsoever.

I'm listening again now and I really don't think I'm that far away. I'm contemplating the 650C still (I've achieved the best sound so far using the 340C straight to the amp), but I'm also wondering about investing in a Rega Apollo, especially at the current prices.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:...I'm also wondering about investing in a Rega Apollo, especially at the current prices.
...excellent idea! Lovely bit of kit. Not a warm sound but nice and clean.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts