Help with speaker choice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

I have a Cyrus 6vs2 and need to replace my aging Ruark Swordsman. I have a budget off £1000. My room is 4m x 8m with a pitched roof so it is quite a big space to fill.

I have demoed Monitor Audio RX6 and 8 and like the 8's a lot. I am demoing some NEAT motive 2 tomorrow, has anyone got any suggestions for other speakers that would work well with the Cyrus in this setup?

I am streaming music (mp3, aac and lossless) from a mac mini using a Squeezebox duet (wired via Devolo home plug) and a Dac Magic to the Cyrus...if that helps.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forums
emotion-5.gif

My parent-in-laws have the Cyrus 6vs2 amp with the Cyrus 6SE CDP matched with a pair of B&W CM7's and it's a superb sounding system

The M/A RX6 speakers are also very good and would be a better match than the RX8's as the RX6's are easier to drive

I've also heard the 6vs2 and 8vs2 with B&W CM5 speakers and that made for a superb combo as well

What would be handy to know is what music do you generally listen to?

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Dan's right here the RX'8 will need more power than the amp can give, basically the amp will clip before you get some half decent volumes. This will cause damage to the speaker by overheating. What happened to the Ruark's? I'm not up to scratch on Cyrus but the same principle applies, for good listening levels you need good power is it possible to add a power amp to the 6vs2 as well as a pair of speakers.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Agree with the above
emotion-1.gif

I also forgot to say that you could look to add a power amp OR a PSX-R dependant upon how much of your budget youve left once youve bougt speakers

A

Anonymous

[EDITED BY MODS - REFERS TO ANOTHER POSTER'S COMMENT THAT HAS BEEN DELETED]

Some 8 ohm loaed speakers with a sensitivity over about 88 would be the order of the day.

A

Anonymous

Hi Dan

musical taste is eclectic, ranges from Dreadzone (very heavy bass) to Van Morrison, Stones, faithless, william orbit, some folky stuff, 70s funk...erm I could go on.... but not classical! I like a bit of bass which is why the RX8 appealed. These were demoed using the new Cyrus 6XP amp, which maybe more powerful than the 6vs2.

A

Anonymous

The Swordsman sound fine with the 6vs2 but I have nothing to compare
it with so difficult to say how good they are together. I normally reach
about 2/3 total volume before Swordsman start sounding rubbish.

I have now bought a 6 power amp. Would this enable me to run the
RX8 speakers OK, I was going to bi amp and bi wire

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yes it would but I'd look at the M/A RX6's first as they are just as good but not overblown with bass as the RS8's can be.

At that price range deffo consider the B&W CM7's as well and even possibly the Dynaudio DM 2/7's

A

Anonymous

hi Ive got a cyrus 8vs2 with a psx-r and i use monitor audio br2s that i won on a bid on ebay they cost 137 your room doesnt seem that big to me only the roof height have you considered a bookshelf speaker the br2s are 90 decibels and 6ohms so very easy to drive and your 6vs2 would easly do it adding a psx-r doesnt provide extra power it only provides better sound quality.these speakers are the best ive ever had because ive not had a new pair for a while did have tannoy mercury m2s,the monitor audio br2s are very powerful and the bass is deep 30- and that is low maybe take you amp and cd player to a shop and listen to bookshelf ones and floorstanders thank you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts