Help with Sony 2400ES Amp and Jamo A102 speakers - Sky HD and PS3 improving things

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello folks just wondering if i can get some help setting up or improving my latest purchase of a sony 2400ES amp and jamo a102 speakers.

Now connected Sky HD HDMI and optical and PS3 to amp which feeds a panasonic 46pz85 . Bought it from richer
sounds whose customer service said the stock the store had recieved was
updated, but no blue dot on box or paper sheet. The SKY HD input says audio is Sat OPT and do get the blue multichannel light on DD sources im hoping it
works and not using HDMI.

I recorded the bbc preview that contained the 5.1 test tone and the old
school test card ( brings back memories ) looks like it is working as
surround and sub are outputting sound.

I really could do with some help with settings to improve the sound.
Things like EQ settings, should i be using D range compression and
things like esurround and prologic settings. My jamo speakers may be
the weak link- they are set to small.

I did a second calibration with a dead silent room at my head level.
only thing i have done is added couple of db onto the rear speakers and
center speaker and turned down the sub. there quite a few settings to
tweak and for someone with little av sound knowledge its not easy.

PS3 seems to work well watched a few movies and games and have got the
bd/dvd sound settings to linear pcm as im told is correct so ps3 does
the hard work decoding sound and sends it to the amp ( why cant i let
the amp do the work on a ps3) -

Seasons greetings
emotion-1.gif

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Raven8472: should i be using D range compression

If that's Dynamic Range Compression, no, not for normal use. Have a quick Google for a better explanation about range compression than I'd be able to give
emotion-1.gif

esurround and prologic settings.

Not sure about Esurround, hopefully someone with an amp from this range will chip in. Prologic is used either for decoding analogue soundtracks, or spreading stereo or surround sound around a wider range of speakers.

My jamo speakers may be the weak link- they are set to small.

As they should be. Nothing wrong with that, and not a sign of weakness
emotion-1.gif
They are most definitely small, and this setting ensures that the lower frequency stuff is sent to your sub. Even with large floorstanding speakers, 'small' is often the best option.

PS3 seems to work well watched a few movies and games and have got the bd/dvd sound settings to linear pcm as im told is correct so ps3 does the hard work decoding sound and sends it to the amp ( why cant i let the amp do the work on a ps3) -

Because the PS3 doesn't 'do' bitstream HD audio ouput as such, which your amp could decode. It sends the HD formats as uncompressed multi-channel LPCM. You're not really losing anything!

Seasons greetings
emotion-1.gif

And to you
emotion-1.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Raven8472:
Hello folks just wondering if i can get some help setting up or improving my latest purchase of a sony 2400ES amp and jamo a102 speakers.

Now connected Sky HD HDMI and optical and PS3 to amp which feeds a panasonic 46pz85 . Bought it from richer
sounds whose customer service said the stock the store had recieved was
updated, but no blue dot on box or paper sheet. The SKY HD input says audio is Sat OPT and do get the blue multichannel light on DD sources im hoping it
works and not using HDMI.

I recorded the bbc preview that contained the 5.1 test tone and the old
school test card ( brings back memories ) looks like it is working as
surround and sub are outputting sound.

I really could do with some help with settings to improve the sound.
Things like EQ settings, should i be using D range compression and
things like esurround and prologic settings. My jamo speakers may be
the weak link- they are set to small.

I did a second calibration with a dead silent room at my head level.
only thing i have done is added couple of db onto the rear speakers and
center speaker and turned down the sub. there quite a few settings to
tweak and for someone with little av sound knowledge its not easy.

PS3 seems to work well watched a few movies and games and have got the
bd/dvd sound settings to linear pcm as im told is correct so ps3 does
the hard work decoding sound and sends it to the amp ( why cant i let
the amp do the work on a ps3) -

Seasons greetings
emotion-1.gif

Right, well I've had your speakers and sub before and I now have the 3400es so I should be able to give you some pointers. The Jamo200 sub is quite powerful and for the price of the speaker package it's an excellent woofer. The best way to get it working with your receiver is to make sure that the receiver is controlling the crossover and not the subwoofer. You can go into the receiver's GUI and select small speakers (as you have already), it should also allow you to set the crossover. I would set it to 140khz. This will allow the sub to kick in and help the sats with bass immediately. Wait til you try it again with these new settings, you will be shocked! The dynamic range can be kept to auto.

As for Esurround. This is basically a choice given for surround sound when the source hasn't got a surround soundtrack. If you want to watch Eastenders or the news or whatever in surround sound, you can do that by clicking the AFD button on your remote until you see Esurround come up on the receiver. I was have mine set to AFD Auto but each to their own. In the GUI you can select Pro Logic, DTS Neo, and others as your default Esurround option. When you watch a film or dvd/BD that has a Dolby Digital, DTS or HD audio soundtrack, AFD Auto will show what the codec is. If you have it set to Esurround, I think you will still get the better option but it might just show that you are listening to Esurround.

I hope this helps. By the way, your Jamos can be improved - I went from them to traditional speakers and it was amazing. However for small, stylish sats, you would need to spend a lot more to get a dramatic improvement. I reckon your system will sound great when you have tweaked it a bit.

Have a good one!

A

Anonymous

Excellent reply gerrardasnail brilaint and thank bigblue . Pretty much the info i was looking for.

So i would prefer some surround sound for eastenders and 2 channel stuff BUT can i leave AFD on esurround prologic setting and it will not touch or change the DD or DTS stuff. or would i have to change it back to AFD auto.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts