Help with some Jargon, please?

On most of the decent recordings on my hi-fi it sounds sensational. Last night I put on 'Saving Private Ryan' and played it through my amp and speakers. Wow! It's sonic heaven. It almost sounds like surround sound even though it's traditional two-channel.

Distant gun fire and explosions sounded like they were coming from the back door in one direction, the bedroom in the other direction. You are totally enveloped with sound, although never over powering. This is at low volumns too (nine o clock on the control).

Is there a technical term for something (stereo) where sound hits you from all directions?

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
On most of the decent recordings on my hi-fi it sounds sensational. Last night I put on 'Saving Private Ryan' and played it through my amp and speakers. Wow! It's sonic heaven. It almost sounds like surround sound even though it's traditional two-channel.

Distant gun fire and explosions sounded like they were coming from the back door in one direction, the bedroom in the other direction. You are totally enveloped with sound, although never over powering. This is at low volumns too (nine o clock on the control).

Is there a technical term for something (stereo) where sound hits you from all directions?

"Virtual surround"? That's what it is often called.

If you want to test that, get a copy of Madonna's Vogue, because it was Q-encoded, which is probably the best thing to come to hi-fi mastering for many years, but never caught on. Basically, it produced surround effects from stereo on music. But it was seriously good and really worked unlike every other mock-surround systems today. Provided your speakers were set-up in the normal triangle, the results are scary! The other good thing? It doesn't affect the sound at all, because the processing is done when recording.

Hughes123:plastic penguin:

If you want to test that, get a copy of Madonna's Vogue, because it was Q-encoded, which is probably the best thing to come to hi-fi mastering for many years, but never caught on. Basically, it produced surround effects from stereo on music. But it was seriously good and really worked unlike every other mock-surround systems today. Provided your speakers were set-up in the normal triangle, the results are scary! The other good thing? It doesn't affect the sound at all, because the processing is done when recording.

Thanks Hughes. Another example. A little while ago, I had Midsomer Murders on - the OH was in the kitchen. On the telly, there was a scene where rain started to come down. The OH called out: "Get the washing in, it starting to rain."

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Hughes123:plastic penguin:

Thanks Hughes. Another example. A little while ago, I had Midsomer Murders on - the OH was in the kitchen. On the telly, there was a scene where rain started to come down. The OH called out: "Get the washing in, it starting to rain."

Ha ha ha! On my HT system (2 channels also) I was watching the Laserdisc of TopGun, and when one of the jets comes over, it was right above my head and moved diagonally from the front left to the rear right! I turned around and had to check I wasn't in a cinema or something! Naturally, Twister is the best movie to watch with a proper hi-fi! I got the DVD when I was four (don't tell anyone, but I knew all the sware-words by then!) when we first got a DVD player (it was a 1997 Pioneer one in gold) and I remember watching the scene where the tornado hits the cinema...that is a proper test for any system! That was on my grandad's JBL L100T and Yamaha Dolby Receiver and it was amazing!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
And the tall tales just keep on coming...

Next week, "I was there the first time Jolson sang on the screen. Well, I mean I wasn't there as such but one of the chromosomes that would one day go on to make me clearly remembers the thrill of hearing sound from a picture for the very first time..."

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
And the tall tales just keep on coming...

Next week, "I was there the first time Jolson sang on the screen. Well, I mean I wasn't there as such but one of the chromosomes that would one day go on to make me clearly remembers the thrill of hearing sound from a picture for the very first time..."

Come on Mr.E, as much as we all enjoy your j'accuses, it was hardly a shaggy dog tale, was it?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:It could have sold Dulux.

But it wouldn't have been acceptable for Donaldson's Dairy...

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Hughes123:
Andrew Everard:It could have sold Dulux.

But it wouldn't have been acceptable for Donaldson's Dairy...

Don't you go bringing that Hairy MacLary nonsense in here, ye wee scamp.

He he he!
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS