help with nad

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
hi mart319, i dont have any nad products. But there is a possibility that your speakers were not suitable for your amplifier, or overdriven sound happened that might harm your speakers. Most modern amplifiers and receivers have this protection system to prevent over-driven sound that could harm speakers automatically.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
If the protection light is on, this usually means there is a genuine fault and it's more than 'just a fuse'.

The protection would be triggered under a number of conditions, but if it's coming on at power on, then in all probability, there is a fault causing DC voltage to appear on the output terminals (but because the protection is on, that DC voltage is not appearing at the speaker terminals thankfully!).

You could try disconnecting all speakers, ensure that the volume is turned right down, and then power on.

If the amp remains in protection, that eliminates any speaker / cable faults. If the protection light goes off, then power it off and reconnect one speaker at a time, powering it on at each stage, until it goes back into protection.

Be sure to remain close to the power button in case of any loud (usually humming in the event of a fault) noises being emitted from your speakers, so you can power it off promptly.

As for fuses - unless you were pushing the amp exceptionally hard, or a short developed in a speaker cable at high volume, it's unlikely (but not impossible) the cause will simply be a blown fuse.

WARNING: The are some very, very high voltages present in these amplifiers, particularly the higher output versions such as the NAD 272 / 218 power amps and even the C35x series. These voltages can be present for several minutes after powering off (in some cases several hours) due to the large power supply capacitors employed in these designs. Do NOT remove the covers unless you're absolutely certain you know what you are doing. The manufacturers warning labels are there for a reason!

Hope this helps.

Tony.

A

Anonymous

hi mate thanks for your help very informative red light stays on even with no speakers so think its got to go off to be fixed any idea how much this could be cheers

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mart319,

I'm sorry, no idea how much it's likely to cost - I don't have any connections with the repair industry anymore.

The final cost will also depend on so many factors - i.e. what is actually blown in the amp.

Cheers,

Tony.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts