help with muffled sound from turntable

GaryMT

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Recently connected an audio technica atlp120 turntable to my marantz pm8005 amp with goldenear triton 3 speakers. Other components sound great but turntable sounds muffled. I switched the internal phono amp off on the turntable. any suggestions on how to improve the sound?

GaryMT

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Turntable is only 4 months old, using the cartridge/stylus that came with it. I have not tried pluggin into other input jack and using the turntable's internal amp, I'll give that a try and report back. thanks again

GaryMT said:
Turntable is only 4 months old, using the cartridge/stylus that came with it. I have not tried pluggin into other input jack and using the turntable's internal amp, I'll give that a try and report back. thanks again

Possible stupid question but you do have it connected to the phono inputs at the moment right? Top left when looking at rear.

Have a good look at the stylus, is it clean?

Has it always sounded like this or have you not used it in 4 months?

GaryMT

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Yes, plugged into the phone inputs. I tried plugging into aux and turning the turntable's inner phono amp back on but that sounded worse.

I just purchased the marantz amp and had previously used a yamaha RXV665 which did not have phone stage inputs. Had the same issue and thought the phono inputs on the marantz would solve the problem. No doubt it's better but doesn't sound as clear and rich as my itunes through a DAC.

I'll check the stylus. I found on another site that someone said the internal amp on that turntable should be removed because the circuitry is still in play even when switched off. That looks complicated and seems pretty extreme but might try it before buying a separate phono stage amp.

Thanks again for the help.

GaryMT said:
Yes, plugged into the phone inputs. I tried plugging into aux and turning the turntable's inner phono amp back on but that sounded worse.

I just purchased the marantz amp and had previously used a yamaha RXV665 which did not have phone stage inputs. Had the same issue and thought the phono inputs on the marantz would solve the problem. No doubt it's better but doesn't sound as clear and rich as my itunes through a DAC.

I'll check the stylus. I found on another site that someone said the internal amp on that turntable should be removed because the circuitry is still in play even when switched off. That looks complicated and seems pretty extreme but might try it before buying a separate phono stage amp.

Thanks again for the help.

No problem. The phono preamp in your amplifier is supposed to be good and this might point to a problem with deck or cartridge.

Before you rip circuitry out suggest you sell it intact then buy another turntable without the inbuilt preamp.

EekOZ

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Before you rip circuitry out suggest you sell it intact then buy another turntable without the inbuilt preamp.

Agree with Al ears on this and a good option IMO would be something along the lines of Pro-ject Debut Carbon....great little turntable, pairs well with Marantz (I had one with a Marantz PM6005 on B&W CM5 speakers), and I think it's around the same price as the LP-120 (at least here it is).

Rega RP1 is also around the same price I think and another good option (though personally I preferred the Pro-ject DC).

GaryMT

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
thanks, I'll look into another turntable. Support at Marantz suggested trying plugging into different input and turning the LP-120's internal phono amp back on as Al ears had. Have a request into Audio Technica for help, will post their reply if it is anything new. I appreciate the suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts