Help with good speaker matches for a Cyrus setup required please!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hei!

Has anyone any good speaker match suggestions for my Cyrus setup please? It consists of a CD 6, Pre Xvs, and twin SmartPower Plus amps. In addition I have a Rega P3 going through a Pro-ject Audio preamp. A fairly substantial bass is a must to satisfy my reggae and dance music listening needs, but I would like something which is sympathetic to all other types of music as well. Any offers?

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
How much are you planning to spend?

My friend and I recently tested set ups of Cyrus CD8, Cyrus 8 Amp with Monitor Audio Silver RS6's, Cyrus CD8 with both the Cyrus 8 amp and the Cyrus Pre-Power kit using Dali Ikon6's and Dali Mentor 6's.
Of the set ups we tried; we were actually disappointed with the Monitor Audio Silver RS6's (possibly because we expected too much after What Hi-Fi's glowing reviews)

The Cyrus and Ikon 6 set up was really impressive with tight bass, a lovely silky midrange when listening to vocal music and no undue harshness in the top end, even with Jeff Buckley playing. if your budget stretches to £900, I can heartily recommend them.

If however you can stretch your budget to £2200 than I would strongly suggest that you take a listen to the Mentor 6's, they really are something special, I can't comment on reggae and dance music, but the bass response with Metallica really has to be felt to be believed. We played a wide selection of music from Norah Jones and Jack Johnson through to the aforemention Metallica and they didn't put a foot wrong with any of it.

A

Anonymous

it seems the combination of MA RS6 and Cyrus amps doesn't really work well, they tend to get a bit harsh at the top end. Around the pricepoint of the Dali's you could also get the Focal 816V 's. They have quite the punchy bass, and sound very natural, though not as involving as the MA's. Maybe the Cyrus is just the cure for that...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd certainly agree the older Cyrus kit (pre ROHS-tweaking) can tend towards the brighter end of things - as can the MA RS6 speakers if you're not careful.

Some great suggestions above - especially the Dalis - but these are £2000-ish speakers, which is over-egging it with a £650 CD player, even one as fantastic as your Cyrus. The system simply wouldn't be balanced.

I'd suggest the Dali Ikon 6 floorstanders (£899) would deliver the pace and bass you're after, if your budget stretches that far.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for the suggestions so far - some very interesting food for thought. I was willing to go to about £15-1800. However, two other models in the Dali range had caught my eye - the Concept 8 & 10. would they be worth considering?

A

Anonymous

Talking of PMC the DB1+ may be right up your street, thought I'm still waiting for a proper test/group test of these speakers in WHF......

jules.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

They got five stars in a Group Test in the January 07 issue.

[/quote]

Yes they were mentioned as part of a Arcam/PMC CD-Amp-Speakers setup, but they haven't been properly reviewed as a standalone item I believe. (More importantly how do they stack up against the best in class ATC SCM11s or ProAc's 110, or Jamo's C803s....). Perhaps a supertest coming along????

jules.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I'll check it out. (Still waiting for the group test tho.... ;-)

A

Anonymous

Everyone's great help and suggestions is greatly appreciated! There are certainly a couple of items there I will be taking a closer look at... Many thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts