Help with AV Receiver choice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking at getting a new receiver and have liked the look of the Sony STR-DG820. Only one thing puzzles me about this amp. It says that it doesn't do video upscaling, does this mean that it will then simply pass through any video signal at the resolution of the original source. If that is the case then will the TV do its usual job of scaling any video source to suit the panel resolution?

Does anyone have experience with this amp and are you happy with it. Is there anything else I should be aware of. I'm also wondering if its worth waiting a bit to see if I could stretch the funds to its bigger brother, the STR-DA2400ES.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
johnmartin3108:It says that it doesn't do video upscaling, does this mean that it will then simply pass through any video signal at the resolution of the original source.

Yes.

johnmartin3108:If that is the case then will the TV do its usual job of scaling any video source to suit the panel resolution?

Yes.

johnmartin3108:I'm also wondering if its worth waiting a bit to see if I could stretch the funds to its bigger brother, the STR-DA2400ES.

Yes.

A

Anonymous

Whilst you can't argue with Andrew's 'Yes, yes, yes'....

I have said amp as part of my first foray into home cinema and will say that Blu-Ray discs played on a PS3 look and sound fantastic. DVD's played on my Sony DVD/HDD recorder are upscaled anyway and also look very good. The TV itself is capable of upscaling (though the DVD player does a better job).

Consider what you're using as a source and the definition it provides: blu-ray player, dvd player, freeview box, Sky+ or Sky HD ?

If you will be using a standard def source that doesn't upscale in its own right - spend the extra. If you will predominantly use HD or upscaling sources then you can take the 820 budget option.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the swift replies guys. You've confirmed what I already knew. I would be better waiting another pay day to get the 2400.

Andrew, are you Father Jack in disguise.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Question from a beginner - would the Onkyo 606 upscale my Virgin Hd box picture to 1080, or will my TV (Sony Bravia KDL40D3500) do the job regardless (i.e doesn't matter whether I go for the 606 or the Sony 820)?

Thanks

Wicksy

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The Onkyo 606 can upscale the picture for you, but if it didn't the TV would do it. Basically, not all upscaling chips are created equal and it depends whether the chip in the Onkyo is better than the one in the Sony TV or vice versa as to which is the best option to choose. The only way to tell is to try (or ask someone who has both pieces of kit to try for you). Obviously, ideally, you should see it for yourself.

Also, don't think that the only difference between the Onkyo 606 and the Sony 820 is the upscaling chip. They will produce very different sounds for movies and music and need to be auditoned separately to see which one matches your wants and needs. My gut feeling would be the Onkyo would be a better choice sonically than the Sony due to their respective RRPs and ratings when they were first released.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts