Help with AV connectivity

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, first post so please be patient with me if I am covering old ground here. I have just undertaken a modest upgrade to my home AV set-up and want to get the most out of it. My Components are as follows:

TV - Sony Bravia KDL-52W4000 1080p, Blu-Ray - Sony PS3, AV Amp - Pioneer VSX1017AV, Apple TV, Nintendo Wii, SKY HD and a Sony 160gb HD DVD Recorder with HDMI upscaler (cannot remember the model number, prob around 15 months old). Speakers wise, I have a decent pair of B&W speakers that I am combining with some existing Pioneers surround speakers and a Yamaha sub (will look to upgrade the speakers at a later date).

My question is, what is the best way to connect these items up, what should I route via the Amp's HDMI's rather than connecting directly to the TV? What is the best way to get the sound to the amp for each item and will the B&W hi-fi speakers combine successfully with the much smaller Pioneer surround speakers for home cinema and yet allow me to enjoy music playback in stereo via the Apple TV?

Any help would be much appreciated, I thought that this was going to be simple but one look at the back of the amp and I am clueless!

Regards

Steve

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay, here's how I'd hook it up:

Sony PS3 --> Pioneer VSX1017 via HDMI for video
Sony PS3 --> Pioneer VSX1017 via optical for audio

Apple TV --> Pioneer VSX1017 via HDMI fir video
Apple TV --> Pioneer VSX1017 via optical for audio

Sky HD --> Pioneer VSX1017 via HDMI for video
Sky HD --> Pioneer VSX1017 via optical for audio

Sony DVD recorder --> Pioneer VSX1017 via HDMI for video
Sony DVD recorder --> Pioneer VSX1017 via optical for audio

Nintendo Wii --> Sony Bravia KDL-52W4000 via component cable for video
Nintendo Wii --> Pioneer VSX1017 via RCA phono connection for audio

Pioneer VSX1017 --> Sony Bravia KDL-52W4000 via HDMI for video

Because the Pioneer doesn't accept HDMI audio, you need to hook everything up via an optical cable as well to get the sound. The Pioneer will handle the video switching though, so you only have HDMI going from this to the TV. This way, when you switch the AV amp to the relevant HDMI source, you'll get both the sound and video switched with one button press.

I would definitely look to upgrade the speakers. I'm assuming you're using the B&Ws for the front and left channels and then the Pioneers for the centre and rear channels. The main issue is, because of the different kinds of speakers in your front setup (more than your rear), the tonal balance will be wrong and it may sound a bit "odd"!

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for your help. I should probably have been a little clearer, the Pioneer Amp has only two HDMI inputs, the Bravia has 3 although one is on the side which is less than ideal and one of the others will need to be taken up with the Pioneer Amp. On the surface though it looks fine:

PS3 & Apple TV to Pioneer via HDMI

Pioneer, Sky and DVD to Bravia via HDMI

I think that Apple TV has to really go through the Amp, just wondering if the PS3 is the right choice for the other Amp HDMI or does it actually not really matter?

Re the speakers, will have a play with it buy maybe I will have to abandon the idea of incorporating the B&W's at this stage and use all of the Pioneer surround speaker instead, I just know that it will not handle music very well though. The Pioneer does have an auto set-up function, guess I can see what this makes of it all?

Thanks again.

Steve

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sorry yes, my bad, when I looked at the spec I saw 4 digital optical inputs then just assumed that was 4 HDMI inputs for some unknown reason (and it's only Tuesday - crikey!).

Well, for convenience sakes, I would put the two sources you use the most through the amp, as then you can take advantage of the video switching for these. In theory, the ones you want the best picture for should go direct to the TV as this will be the least distance for the signal to travel, but in practice, I don't think you'll see much (if any) difference i.e. it shouldn't really matter.

A

Anonymous

Thanks once again, very helpful.

Final question, can I only achieve HD through HDMI or could I potentially connect everything via the Amp using a different connection type, sorry of this is a stupid question?

Regards

Steve

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Not at all. You can achieve HD pictures still on some of your sources with a component cable, but HDMI will give you a (slightly) superior picture. Personally, since you have enough sockets, I'd still use HDMI for everything.

A

Anonymous

Excellent, thanks very much. I will have to see if I can live with using the HDMI socket on the side of the TV as I am pretty sure that the cable will show from the front. I may opt to connect up the DVD Recorder via component if this is indeed the case.

Thanks once again, will have a crack and hooking it all up this weekend.

TRENDING THREADS