Help! Wanting a decent set of Mac speakers..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im looking for a decent set of speakers for my iMac mainly to listen too music . Ive noticed the MM-1 and Companion 5's but can anyone recommend any others or are these the best speakers you can get? Im on a budget of around 2-5 hundred so any help would be grateful!

Cheers..

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
You will be much better off (quality sound-wise) spending your money on a 3.5mm to phono cable, an amp and speakers.

No computer based speakers will match what is available in that type of set up.

Add a DAC later, upgrade the amp & speakers when you can and you are sorted! :dance:

A

Anonymous

Ok, so what amp and speakers would you recommend for my budget, for the best quality of sound?

A

Anonymous

I was thinking a set of KEF 100's with a Marantz PM6004. Would this work well with a pc? Would it sound good?

Cheers....

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
How about the Marantz PM6004 or Rotel RA-04 combined with a choice from Boston Acoustics A26 or Monitor Audio BX2 speakers?

If that's pushing the boat out then try the Cambridge Audio 340A SE amp and Dali Zensor 1 or Boston Acoustic A-25 speakers?

The combinations will sound different to each other though so it is best to audition if you can.

A

Anonymous

I actually just looked at the BX2's they seem a good speaker for the price £250 at my local retailer. May try these coupled with the PM6004.

Are the amp and speakers easy to set up to a computer? As im a newbie :/

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
The Nu Force Icon 2 includes a USB DAC, and is small enough to sit on the desk. With something like the Dali Zensors or the Bostons you'd have a pretty decent system.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Harlany0 said:
I actually just looked at the BX2's they seem a good speaker for the price £250 at my local retailer. May try these coupled with the PM6004.

Easy peasy. You just need a 3.5mm to phono cable (readily available) to connect from the earphone out of the PC into the back of the amplifier.

Some speaker cable to connect from the amp to the speakers.

Plug in the amp, select the appropriate input and turn up the volume. That's it! :rockout:

Then you will get into the issues of quality connects/speaker cables/DACs/speaker stands/speaker positioning/upgrades...........

Well, you get the idea but the above will get you started.

A

Anonymous

Epoz Aktimate mini's might be worth a look. will work well and save space with having the amplifier in the speakers

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Harlany0 said:
Im looking for a decent set of speakers for my iMac mainly to listen too music . Ive noticed the MM-1 and Companion 5's but can anyone recommend any others or are these the best speakers you can get? Im on a budget of around 2-5 hundred so any help would be grateful!

Cheers..

If you want simplicity, the Epoz AktiMate series of speakers are worth looking into. They're powered speakers so the amplifier is built into one of the speakers and you just plug the 3.5mm or RCA cable into this. I have the Minis and think they're excellent, but they also do the Maxis for a bit more (still within your budget though as they're available for £400 from some places).

Whichever you choose, if you're spending that much money, you really want to be looking at placing these speakers on dedicated stands rather than sitting them on top of the desk.

EDIT - just beaten to it!!

A

Anonymous

Yes the maxis are currently available for some great prices.

A

Anonymous

DavieCee said:
Harlany0 said:

Easy peasy. You just need a 3.5mm to phono cable (readily available) to connect from the earphone out of the PC into the back of the amplifier.

Some speaker cable to connect from the amp to the speakers.

Plug in the amp, select the appropriate input and turn up the volume. That's it! :rockout:

Then you will get into the issues of quality connects/speaker cables/DACs/speaker stands/speaker positioning/upgrades...........

Well, you get the idea but the above will get you started.

Cheers, i think ill go with the PM6004 and the BX2's both seem a good starting block + i can get the both for £500 at my local retailer. Ive been doing measurements to see if they will fit on my desk becide my 21"iMac, they do but with about 2" between each speaker would this be a problem? I dont think it will be. Also does the 3.5mm to phono cable do anything to the quality of the sound?

Cheers

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Get yourself a pair of Eclipse either 307II PA (with amp) or if the budget will stretch 508s. Knock everything else into the proverbial. You might want a subwoofer later if you have a preference for metal or large scale orchestral works, but for singer/songwriter or chamber music, listening in a room that is smaller than a ballroom, you should be sorted. :dance:

A

Anonymous

Just been looking at the output of the PM6004 and it says it 45-60 watt and the bx2's are 100 watt. The audio engine website says its recommened amp wattage for the bx2's is 30-100 watt. So will the PM6004 be powerful enough for the bx2's?

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
The amp will be more than powerful enough, don't worry about it.

A more pressing worry is space.

The above set up would be great for listening to music.

However, if you are going to place everything on a desk and use it for listening to music while on the computer then it will be wasted. Your first idea of PC specific speakers will be much more suitable.

If you are going to be sitting away from the PC and can get a few feet space between the speakers then the seperates will be much better. Different requirements have different solutions.

A

Anonymous

Id have to have a look at getting some stand's maybe? would wall brackets be another good solution? I think ill go with the set up anyway at £500 its a good price, i can then fiddle around creating more space for them..

But for a good starting block is it a good bundle? Also what would be a good speaker cable and 3.5mm to phono cable to accompany the system?

Cheers..

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Google will probably find you better bargains but as an indicator:-

http://www.richersounds.com/product/hifi-interconnects/cambridge-audio/aud100-3.5-1m/camb-aud100-2ph-1m

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-cables/chord/carnival-silver-scr'/chor-carnival-spk-ca

Wall bracket will do in a pinch but stands are better when/if space allows.

A

Anonymous

Nice! Cheers for the help bud, ill update once Ive got a setup up and running...

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Epoz Aktimate mini's with a DAC would be the way i go and possibly speaker stands. On the Mac your 3.5mm plug should carry digital sound too so using one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Mini-Toslink-Digital-Optical-Converter-Adapter-/380233196786?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item5887aa24f2#ht_3156wt_1012

Then your own digital and phono cables

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I've got a set of Genelec 6010As set up either side of my monitor and they sound great, they're small active monitors designed for near field use and also have setting to compensate for being on a desk. Also consider the slightly larger Genelec 8020B.

If you search for "Genelec 6010A review" and my user name you'll come across my thoughts on them and some pictures.

A

Anonymous

Picked up my PM6004 and Bx'2 today, set them up fine and really impressed. Currently have them on my desk but will be buying longer speaker cable and stands so i can get the full potential of my setup. Thanks to anyone who helped!

Cheers...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts