Help upgrading my HiFi

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
Last year I purchased a used Technics SH CH570 - there’s a review of it here which includes its power capabilities.

It’s from 1997 and has 5 speakers. It sounds good to my ears but I’m curious to hear from people with more knowledge than me if and how it can be upgraded. As much as I’d love something bigger and with separate units, I don’t have the space in this room - the HiFi sits on a bookcase with about 2inches of width spare, so I can’t replace it with anything much bigger.

I assume the biggest opportunity is with the speakers. Currently the two bookcase speakers are on the floor next to armchairs. I plan on getting some stands in the near future but I need to figure out space first. The other option is to get wireless ones and mount them but my understanding is that wireless doesn’t produce a sound as good as fully wired, so I’m not particularly fond of the idea. If they’re a good option I would prefer upright floor speakers.

But, I don’t want to throw money at speakers only to find out the amp is the weak link, for example.

I can’t see that review. Do you have a link?

Five speakers sounds like a AV system, rather than a Hifi, and given its >25 years old i think I’d struggle to ‘improve’ something like that.

What budget do you have to spend?

DCarmi

If you are generally happy then great! You do need to get the speakers off the floor so stands are necessary.
I suspect the individual components have some bespoke or at least non-RCA connectors (probably ribbon connectors), in which case you'd probably be looking at a complete replacement for any of the components.

Speakers should just be bare wires into some sort of clip.

You can get smaller sized units . Rega and NAD do some, for example. It depends on what sources you wish to use and what budget you want to assign to the project.

I'm not sure what the Technics thinks it is doing with its 5 speakers, as I don't think it can do true surround sound. There again, if you are happy with the sound, just add some stands for the speakers on the floor.

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
I can’t see that review. Do you have a link?

Five speakers sounds like a AV system, rather than a Hifi, and given its >25 years old i think I’d struggle to ‘improve’ something like that.

What budget do you have to spend?
Sorry the review is http://www.hifi-review.com/150211-technics-sh-ch570.html

budget is low but I’m mainly figuring out my options at the moment. If it’s a case of “spend £300 on these speakers” then that’s fine. If it’s “do a complete replacement for £3,000” it’ll be a slower process.
I used to own Cambridge separates, which I regret selling. The good news is I have found some on Marketplace for about £30-£50 each so that’s an avenue I’m happy to explore.

as for the Technics you’re right, the manual does talk about AV and doing surround sound for movies. But it also came with a CD player (which I use) and tape deck (which I discarded)

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
If you are generally happy then great! You do need to get the speakers off the floor so stands are necessary.
I suspect the individual components have some bespoke or at least non-RCA connectors (probably ribbon connectors), in which case you'd probably be looking at a complete replacement for any of the components.

Speakers should just be bare wires into some sort of clip.

You can get smaller sized units . Rega and NAD do some, for example. It depends on what sources you wish to use and what budget you want to assign to the project.

I'm not sure what the Technics thinks it is doing with its 5 speakers, as I don't think it can do true surround sound. There again, if you are happy with the sound, just add some stands for the speakers on the floor.
I’m no expert with speaker connections, but the surrounds use a pin connector and the bookcases are I believe ribbons - two bare wires that I’ve slotted into the red and black holes and they’re clamped in place.

I am generally happy with the sound but comparing to what I hear via Grado SR325x headphones, they lack the thump for bass. They’re certainly usable but I also suspect it wouldn’t take a tremendous upgrade for improvements in clarity. I’d also like to figure out a way to get a more immersive sound but that’s tricky with my room layout/shape, if I stick with wired speakers over wireless (which I’m open to suggestions for but my understanding is wired remain superior for sound quality)

Rowas1978

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
terraria: Last year I purchased a used Technics SH CH570 - there’s a review of it here which includes its power capabilities.

It’s from 1997 and has 5 speakers. It sounds good to my ears but I’m curious to hear from people with more knowledge than me if and how it can be upgraded. As much as I’d love something bigger and with separate units, I don’t have the space in this room - the HiFi sits on a bookcase with about 2inches of width spare, so I can’t replace it with anything much bigger.

I assume the biggest opportunity is with the speakers. Currently the two bookcase speakers are on the floor next to armchairs. I plan on getting some stands in the near future but I need to figure out space first. The other option is to get wireless ones and mount them but my understanding is that wireless doesn’t produce a sound as good as fully wired, so I’m not particularly fond of the idea. If they’re a good option I would prefer upright floor speakers.

But, I don’t want to throw money at speakers only to find out the amp is the weak link, for example.
Thank you for providing more context. Based on the information you've provided, upgrading your speakers would likely be the most significant improvement you could make to your system. Better speakers can significantly enhance the overall sound quality, and choosing the right type and placement can help you get the most out of your setup. Before investing in new speakers, you may want to consider the room's acoustics and how they may be impacting the sound quality. For example, if the room has hard floors and walls, this could result in excessive reflections and reverberation, leading to a less than ideal listening experience. Adding some acoustic treatments such as rugs, curtains, or acoustic panels could help mitigate these issues.

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for providing more context. Based on the information you've provided, upgrading your speakers would likely be the most significant improvement you could make to your system. Better speakers can significantly enhance the overall sound quality, and choosing the right type and placement can help you get the most out of your setup. Before investing in new speakers, you may want to consider the room's acoustics and how they may be impacting the sound quality. For example, if the room has hard floors and walls, this could result in excessive reflections and reverberation, leading to a less than ideal listening experience. Adding some acoustic treatments such as rugs, curtains, or acoustic panels could help mitigate these issues.
Ive been having a look and will modify my opening statement: we could get separates, it would just mean having the stereo at the other end of the room to now.

I can upload a photo of the room but it’s hard floor with a rug, curtains, a sofa and 2 armchairs, and a large bookcase filled with books. One wall has the curtains, another is a double door (usually open), another has the TV (chimney breast), and other than that it’s a few pictures. So a mixture of hard wall and different materials.

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
This is an image of the room (not always this messy, a poorly 1-year-old is eating into tidying time). Currently the hifi is in the far left corner in front of the window, and the main speakers are behind the orange chairs.

It’s a rectangle-shaped room, and the chimney breast makes it more challenging to run a cable without it being very obviously visible. For speaker placement, I could get an extremely long cable and run it from the stereo, behind the orange chairs and then behind the sofa, to the corner in the near right corner of the photo. That would have one at each side of our heads.

I’m also thinking of using the entertainment cabinet on the left side of the photo to get an amp and CD player as separate units, and having floor speakers each side of the door (where I’m standing to take the photo).

E74F8C74-8CF2-47BE-8011-886C656BBA86.jpg

Last year I purchased a used Technics SH CH570 - there’s a review of it here which includes its power capabilities.

Firstly, get those speakers off the floor. Dedicated stands will improve the sound for two main reasons:

Dedicated stands not only minimizes vibration but also the speakers will be at the optimum height to maximize the sound.

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
Firstly, get those speakers off the floor. Dedicated stands will improve the sound for two main reasons:

Dedicated stands not only minimizes vibration but also the speakers will be at the optimum height to maximize the sound.
Definitely on my list, we’re just mainly concerned about that with a child currently figuring out being mobile and wanting to leave a trail of destruction

Definitely on my list, we’re just mainly concerned about that with a child currently figuring out being mobile and wanting to leave a trail of destruction
This was the conundrum we faced when our daughter was tiny. Truth is stands have spikes and with the weight of the stands and speakers they won't tip over. Either that perhaps consider wall brackets that can be purchased in places like Richer Sounds or from any good high street dealer

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
This was the conundrum we faced when our daughter was tiny. Truth is stands have spikes and with the weight of the stands and speakers they won't tip over. Either that perhaps consider wall brackets that can be purchased in places like Richer Sounds or from any good high street dealer
That’s good to know, thanks. I’ve also been considering replacing them with floor speakers

That’s good to know, thanks. I’ve also been considering replacing them with floor speakers
Be careful with floorstanders. Looking at the layout of your room they need some clear space - and check the wattage of your amp and whatever speakers you intend to choose.

The cheapest option is either buy stands or wall brackets. That will improve the sound, but whether it gives you a big enough upgrade only you will know.

Unfortunately it's a suck it and see as I have no experience with your particular system. Start with the cheapest option first, suggestions I made above.

Keep us informed.

Reactions: richwhite08

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts