Help Synology DS211j

motley

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site
Having moved my iTunes library from my PC to Synology NAS i have been told that although the music library is now stored on the NAS I must have the computer switched on to stream music via Airplay on an Apple tv2 as the software in on the PC not the NAS??

This defeats the reason for purchase as I wished to stream Music, Movies and Photo without needing the computer on.

Is this correct?

A

Anonymous

As far as I know, it won't work the way you hope it will out of the box - the problem I believe is that Apple TV's proprietary format needs a Mac running iTunes in the loop and won't play from the Synology NAS without that. Apparently you can modify the Apple TV unit to allow it to play different formats directly via a NAS - but this does involve a fair bit of hacking and technical jiggery pokery. Certainly doable though - lots of info on it on the web. I guess another alternative is to use a different media player that will work with the Synology but of course that's extra outlay...

motley

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Noddycat, I still hoping that the Staffer that did the video "how to Move your iTunes" may have some insight.

motley

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone have one of these with their iTunes library stored on it?, when I load the Nas/Discstation I can see 2 of every file and can see no way of removing them?

A

Anonymous

You could replace the Apple TV with a proper 1080p mediaplayer to play ur video/music direct from your NAS.

They start from around the £70 mark, and will play virtually any format.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts