Help! Speakers for Denon DM37

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice as an audio novice. I purchased the Denon this weekend on the back of the review in what hifi. I got it for £350 including a Denon ipod dock and Q Acoustics 1020i speakers. To be honest I'm a little bit disappointed. The midrange seems a little fuzzy and lacking in detail although I must say that vocals sounds great. However the lack of detail is annoying me slightly. I was offered a pair of mission M62is for an extra 50 quid, Should I have gone for those?

I also listened to the yamaha M430 with the Q Acoustics and must say I was pleasantly surprised by the detailed sound, although it lacked the overall power of the Denon. However, I stubbonrly went for the Denon as I had my heart set on it. Have read elsewhere that speakers need time to settle in (up to 50 hours?). Is this the case? Should I send the Q acoustics back and try the Denon speakers, or fork out a bit more for those missions? Or should I have gone to for the Yamaha?

A lto of questions I know but grateful for any suggestions.

Wightknight

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
Don't panic!

Your speakers will definitely benefit from running in. I am sure you will hear improvements over the coming days and will ultimately be pleased with your speaker choice.

If you do a search on the Forum for "DM37 speakers" you will find recommendations for a variety of speakers. I think it is fair to say that most DM37 owners are pleased with their system regardless of the speakers they have chosen.

Just one thought, which speaker cable have you chosen?
Other than that, I hope your system is run-in fairly quickly and I am sure you will get a huge amount of pleasure from it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. I will give the speakers time to run in then. I am using very basic cables that were thrown in free with the deal so maybe that doesn't help (Although they used very good cables in the audition where I also was aware of lack of midrange detail). However, I would be very surprised if the system genuinely did struggle with detailed mid-range reproduction given the overwhelmingly positive press it has got. As you suggest I shall give it time and am sure I'll be happy with it in the end!

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Totally agree with Wightnight, give it a bit of time for things to loosen up a bit. Speaker range for the Denon is pretty good, nigh on all the budget speaker range seems to suit it, whether it be Tannoy, Wharfedale, MS, MA and the Q Acoustics. Good suggestion about the speaker cable, the Chord Silverscreen is very highly recommended (don't use it myself as too thick for me to hide away) but there are a lot of others and I should think any of them may be better than what was supplied to you.

A

Anonymous

Haha! Thanks for that ear, very helpful! ;)

The general consenus seems to be that it is pretty damn good (I see it scooped best system under £500 in the 2009 awards), so I'm going to stick with it. I think my problem is with the speakers to be honest but going too give them a while to settle down. If still unhappy with sound then I might try the new Q Acoustic 2010.

Does anyone know much about the Mission M62i by the way? I thought they sounded awesome with the Denon but it would involve me forking out more dough. Not much by way of reviews online but it looks like they originally retailed at £300 so I would effectively be getting them at around half price.

A

Anonymous

The Denon is an excellent little unit, so no worries there. The unit itself will probably take a couple of weeks to "run in" and the speakers could take longer. (I remember my speakers took a couple of months to reach optimal performance.) Just play it nice and loud for a couple of weeks. :)

Definitely go out and get a couple of lengths of Chord Carnival SilverScreen speaker cable; it will be an excellent upgrade for your system, and cheap too. (£6 per metre.)

Marco.

A

Anonymous

Haha! Good advice on playing it nice and loud! My poor neighbours!

A

Anonymous

Give them a knock and tell them what your doing. Thats what I did. :)

Marco.

TRENDING THREADS