Help ! Sony silence.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am getting no sound from my Dav-is10 when being fed from my PS3 Blu-ray - red light is emitting from the optical cable - and only very low sound (unless it is cranked up to max when it just sounds quiet) when playing dvd's directly from its own drive.

Have gone through the 'troubleshooting' section with no luck. Am I missing something simple (apart from my brain) ?

Pleaase help!!

mjs

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
You don`t say what source for your PS3.Have you got all the audio settings set up correctly for DVD and Blu ray etc?
Go to the settings menu and select `audio`

A

Anonymous

I would be more concerned with the low sound from it's own DVD drive, than the Blu-ray issue. Fix that and I suspect the Blu-ray will will be fine too.

The low sound from the DVD drive can come from 3 sources, 1). The unit is broken. Sorry. 2).The connections to the Sub/speakers. Very difficault to get wrong unless you have fiddled with the connectors. 3). That there "IS" some simple setting error. Are you sure that you haven't set the sound to mute? If it is says "MUSIC" in the display, this will turn the rear speakers right down (but will still be loud from the fronts) Are the bass trebble and middle all set to 0? You're not trying to play a classic movie using pro logic II or something are you? (probably not, on blu-ray)

These are just a few off the wall thoughts that spring to mind, either way I would like to hear the resolution when you find it as I expect to make all the same mistakes, plus a few new ones, when I finaly get around to setting up my own DAV-IS10, (bought on your recomendation after all)

Best of luck

David.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. No pressure then?!!

I think I can discount 1) on the grounds that it came straight out of the box, and I did not drop it. Whether it is faulty is another matter. 2) I think I can dismiss. The set-up and connections are pretty much idiot proof (even for this idiot). It is possible that 3) may be the problem but I am(now) getting sound from the source that I select eg. TV, AM/FM, Cable/Satelite(my PS3 player) but not volume.

The Dav-is10 volume control goes from 0 to 80. It is barely audible up to 30-35, just about listenable to if I crank it up to 50+ but needs to be 65+ if I want to watch my DVDs (get the surround sound experience). It is still quite tame but I dare not have it on max(80) for anything longer than a few seconds for fear of damaging anything (although not my hearing!!).

The bass, treble etc are set at 0. I need to get this volume issue sorted before I start tweaking. On Thursday evening I shall pop round to a Sony Centre to see what they suggest. In the meantime I, like you, will have to see if somebody out there can throw some light on this problem.

Fingers crossed!

A

Anonymous

I bought one of these units a month ago from Superfi. Out of the box I could get no volume out of it. I fiddled with settings, connections, everything. Still no joy. if you turned it up to 75-80 you could hear it slightly. a similar volume to headphones. After tearing my hair out I reset it to factory settings, pulled all the wires out and just fed it a CD thinking maybe I was struggling to get it to connect properly with HDMI. Same fault. Then tried just the radio. Same fault. I am no engineer but I presumed the amp had gone as the sound was coming out but with out being amplified. Packed it all back up and sent it back. The replacement was fine. It worked straight out the box however I do have to listen at around 55-65 out of 80 on the volume bar. I have posted this question on a couple of forums (Including this one) and this appears to be the norm. I think its just a software error. Irritating but does not detract from a great system. Despite the problems I think it is fab....

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. Glad I'm not the only one.

Mmmm....So you also have it cranked up to 60+. It just does not seem right to me. My valve amp (18w) volume only needs to go round to 2 o' clock(12 being zero) to give me plenty of oomph. OK so my HiFi speakers are obviously a lot more sensitive than the little Sony's but even so......

I wonder what the WHFS&V team experienced when they tested it?.After all, they did make it their 'all in one system' product of the year.

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

re the volume issue. The very same happens with my DAV-IS10, however, I was told this on numerous occasions before I bought it so was well prepared for that.

I'm watching a film on sky at the moment through the Sony speakers connected to the sky box with with a Digital optical. I'm using the PLII Movie sound field and they're currently cranked up to 68 (just had to turn it down to 62 cos the neighbours knocked on the floor upstairs re the bass.) It sounds great and to be honest, the volume level doesn't bother me anymore. Got used to it after about two days.

I personally think the system sounds wonderful with everything. Even music sounds fantastic when you get the sound settings as per your preference. I was expecting the music performance to be a bit shabby but it's handled everything i've thrown at it (Foo Fighters, Dance Music and Northern Soul) very very well indeed.

I do agree the volume issue is a little annoying but then again, I don't see the point in having volume capabillity that I'll never EVER use. As it stands, DVD's can be played louder than required as can CD's and my I-pod. TV is ever so slightly lower but nothing worth moaning about and still louder than required.

Maybe if I lived in a house in the middle of the country with no neighbours to bother me and had a MASSIVE livingroom then i'd be looking for a bit more oomph. But if that was the case I wouldn't have gone for this system.

For me, and as they say on the telly, it does exactly what it says on the tin !!

Marty

A

Anonymous

Thanks Marty. It does seem that the Sony does prefer to be cranked up before it will stir. I think I will still pop into the Sony Centre just to see if they have experienced similar issues.

You're right though. In my 'cosy' living room it is one hell of a system. Chuffed to bits.

A

Anonymous

Ashamed to say that I didn't notice what level I had it cranked up to in the Sony Centre. But glad to hear that the solution seems to be as simple as how Sony chose to calibrate the volume dial.

Thanks,

David

A

Anonymous

Went over to the local Sony Centre. Their display model was exactly the same. 50+ before you could really start to hear it. At least that has cleared up what looked at first like a problem.

Thanks for the input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts