HELP SONY S 370 Bluray Problem

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It's just been 1 hour since i came back from comet with my brand new sony 370 bluray player which i purchased after reading the review in What Hifi. I want it to replace my old fat PS 3. I've set everything up correctly and sat down with Avatar excitedly looking for the magical blue glow from my DA 2400 receiver to tell me it's picking up The DTS HD track and what do i get.... NOTHING, just 2 channel. I've been through the setup time and time again and all I get is stereo !!!! So i connected my PS 3 again and the receiver picks up multi channel pcm. So am i right in thinking the bluray player is not working correctly ? HELP ANYONE.

A

Anonymous

Yes. I've been through the manual. Audio HDMI set to auto not pcm and it says BD audio mix set to off to output HD audio to an amp which i've done. Also when i press the display button it says DTS HD MA 5.1 so it's like it isn't sending it to my receiver. only stereo.

A

Anonymous

That's what I tried but i still got only stereo. Anyway took it back to Comet today and explained it to them who didn't seem convinced. They didn't have anymore in stock until next week so i got my money back. Gonna go to Richer sounds instead now but i'm still no wiser as to the cause of the problem.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
It's a pity that the OP didn't actually list the settings employed on the player so that someone could check them as I'll bet there wasn't anything wrong with the player. It is usually one menu setting that is the difference between success and failure when wishing to bitstream HD audio.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Andy,

NOOOOooooo! Shame you returned it.

I have a SonySTR-DN1000 and had exactly the same problem. Guessing it is a similar Sony OS. The problem in the main menu is under 'i think' HDMI - then Audio Settings - then you get the choice off 'Amp' or 'Amp and TV'. You will find that you are trying to send the sound to the TV and Amp together. Because you're TV cannot accept a DTS-HD signal the reciever converts all audio to stereo PCM. Just set the audio setting to 'AMP' ONLY and bet it works. It'll be in the menus somewhere.

If you have downloaded the latest update for the PS3 you should be able to output the PS3 HD sound via HDMI as 'bitstream' and try the above yourself. If all works and you see DTS-HD of Dolby True HD on the amp then you know everything is working as it should.You can then be safe in the knowledge that everything is ready for you're next purchase.

Please let me know if it works.

Kind Regards,

Cookie Monster

A

Anonymous

Thanks cookie monster. I'll try the bitstream from ps3 and i'm going to Richer sounds at the weekend to get the 370 again and i'll try that. I've always had the receiver set to tv+amp to watch tv but have always got multi channel sound when i use my ps3 to watch movies. I'll let you know what happens.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I guess I figured out why the s370 didn't send dts ma to the receiver. In the audiomenu, there are two options that will change the audio that is being sent to the receiver.

first one is "BD audio MIX settings". That one should be turned off.
and then there is "audio DRC". That should be switched to "broadband". Mine was set to "auto", and my receiver said is was receiving "multi channel audio" instead of dts master audio on Avatar.

Check those two, and you'll get the audio the way it should be.

A

Anonymous

This is similar to the problem I'm getting that I posted here...

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/432639.aspx

I have BD audio MIX settings set to off.

The only choices under "audio DRC" are auto, standard and wide range and none of them affect anything.

I can't see any option to choose "AMP ONLY", I've been through all the options about 5 times and it's driving me insane. It won't give me multi channel PCM from the BD player and it won't give me HD sound from the amp.

GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
emotion-9.gif

Edit - I've just realised the AMP ONLY setting is on the amp and not the BD player, there is something similar on the onkyo and it is definitely off, no sound being passed to the TV. But still not working.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts