help, simple system, no clutter!

AngusWeir

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
I want to use my home cinema system as a hub for all my tv watching i.e. connect xbox, bluray, sky (not hd), youview box to home cinema box and then connect this to tv over hdmi. All except sky have hdmi outputs, sky has scart/composite and optical. In this way I can leave the TV on the same input and hope to be able to just touch one button on receiver to connect source to TV, upscaling the Sky.

From reading around this site it looks like the Yamaha 675 will do this in a nice easy way for me, but then I have the yamaha box, plus 3 speakers around the TV, this is an issue because there is already an xbox, youview box, sky box and bluray player, another large av box and 3 speakers and I won't be able to see the TV!!!!!

So then I thought of a soundbar, but these don't seem to have the simple connectivity and usability I want.

Am I missing something with soundbars? My living room is not an AV room and so does not lend itself well to placing speakers on the wall (too far behind the TV).

Can anyone point me to a good solution? Ease of use is paramount (leaving the TV on the same input all the time). We can pretend that there is no budget constraint and then have a dose of reality later!

thanks

ROTH AV

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
There is a solution on the way - to be announced in a week or so.

Does what you need and more.

Only problem is that we haven't come up with a name yet........ :bounce:

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
ROTH AV said:
There is a solution on the way - to be announced in a week or so.

Does what you need and more.

Only problem is that we haven't come up with a name yet........ :bounce:

You need a simple strategy like Linn's, just replace every C with a K and you're rokking.

Why not use the collective power of the forum to help you? It will obviously descend into an argument - but might be an interesting exercise nevertheless.

AngusWeir

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
sounds fantastic, I will wait at least a couple of weeks then. Name wise you could just come up with random numbers and letters and then claim they mean something later, but personally I always call everything Fred - my first motorcycle was called Fred and my second was called Fred II, but then it started getting complicated, so my third reverted to just Fred (hope that suggestion helps)

AngusWeir

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
that's what I thought - but I need a non hdmi in for the (non-hd) sky+, and obviously it then needs to upscale the sd picture from sky to the hd hdmi output to the tv, this seems to be the problem with soundbars - otherwise exactly what I want as I fell in love with the ysp2200 a couple of years ago

ROTH AV

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I am still smiling at the words beginning or using the letter 'K'.

Give me some names clever forumites.

Product is totally 'connected', looks pretty and sounds better than a night in with Kylie Minogue and half a bottle of Ardbeg.

If we get a decent name by Monday I will credit you in the user guide and give you one of the products !

j.

ROTH AV

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
OMG.

Prize winner on the basis my pouilly fume just shot out of my nose......laughing with my family.....please email me with your address and we'll send you a prize - maybe even a life-size picture of me in my mankini.

But.....we can't name such an important product after a lisping hard man.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ROTH AV said:
I am still smiling at the words beginning or using the letter 'K'.

Give me some names clever forumites.

Product is totally 'connected', looks pretty and sounds better than a night in with Kylie Minogue and half a bottle of Ardbeg.

If we get a decent name by Monday I will credit you in the user guide and give you one of the products !

j.

Maybe as mentioned above......A Roth Kryptik (note the 2 Ks for extra points).

ROTH AV

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to avoid the K thing.

And yes, we could ship to Bay Bloor - a most excellent retailer with brilliant, knowledgable people.

j.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
What you cannot pretend is that sound bars and other similar fashionable bodges can approach or better actual proper surround sound. Why is fashion suddenly accelarating pedalling backwards? I have never managed to figure this out. The only beneficiaries are the manufacturers. Keep banging the rocks together.

ROTH AV

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Who is pretending ?

I grew up in the pro audio industry and learnt my trade with Alesis (USA) and Harman (UK - Soundcraft then Turbosound) and agree that an AV receiver and separate speakers can give the ultimate performance. But, particularly in this day and age a smaller, simpler option is seen by the majority as preferable. We cater for both camps, we design in Great Britain and we are owned by British geezers. And we are still in business. And growing. And one day soon we'll build in Great Britain.

I have huge respect for the hifi enthusiast who loves the music first and prefers the high end separates option but I also appreciate the people who want an upgrade that doesn't break the bank, sounds great and fits their lifestyle.

Our customers love our products and are happy with what we do.

That works for me.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ROTH AV said:
I'd like to avoid the K thing.

I agree, it can be a bit kr@p

Not sure that any of these are any good (naming a product blind is more difficult)

Roth Eloqwent

Roth Rhythm

Roth Intuitiv

Roth Echo

Roth Taranis (Celtic God of thunder)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
Not sure that any of these are any good (naming a product blind is more difficult)

Roth Eloqwent

That doesn't seem very eloquent.

I was effing about with the spelling to see the reaction. There was also Elokwent....but Ks are out. :twisted:

"Echo" was a nymph in Greek mythology, who could only repeat the voice of another....possibly more appropriate as a name, especially when combined with its more normal meaning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts