Help shortlisting subwoofers

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Looking for advice on subs. Needs to be very fast, deep, versatile connection and tuning options, remote not required. Budget 500-2000. Preferably choice of wood finishes but not a must.

Will be used for both music and movies but will be chosen on music performance. Wide music taste but must sound best on jazz, classical and rock. Will support most likely active ATC 50 played from Benchmark HDR and MacMini.

Would appreciate help shortlisting.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
From my experience, a downward firing sub is best for music.
Front firing sub's are to easy to hear in a room so need to be turned down low, to the point of being pointless.

Im using a Rel Strata 5 with ATC scm19's. Its a brilliant combination. The Rel has all the speed needed to intergrate with the 19's.

I would however, think that the Strata 5 would be the minimum required to support the scm50's due to their size.

Try and find a used Storm 5, Stadium III or Stentor III. You might even get lucky and find a Studio III for sale somewhere if you have the room for one.

Otherwise, it might be worth trying Mj Acoustics, but you will probably need their reference 1 mk III or monster reference 800

A

Anonymous

I use a Velodyne SPL 1000ii which I love and have always read good things about their subs. With your budget you could arguably go for one of their larger ones with 12" or 15" cone, for increased depth - though I have not found my one 'wanting' !

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Just to give my tuppence worth...

I was at one of the few decent hifi shops in Preston last week and they had the B&W PV1 and B&W B&W ASW610XP partnered with a NAD C355BEE amp, NAD C545BEE and Rega Apollo CDP as well as an ex-dem Arcam DiVa A90 amp and both subs were superb. These were with the B&W 685 and CM1 speakers on B&W stands.

IMO the Arcam A90 with the B&W PV1 sub along with the Rega Apollo CDP & B&W 685's sounded absolutley superb. The PV1 is really articulate and fills out the low end that the 685's cant support but the PV1 also works really well with the 685's bass and gels superbly. The bass is very deep and well controlled but tight as a drum as well.

It made my fillings move and made me smile a lot as well
emotion-1.gif

Well worth an audition IMO and looks gorgeous in gloss black
emotion-2.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
My PV1 sounds sublime with movies and music. For £2k, you could buy 2 (They can be daisy-chained from one to another.)

Punch and poise in spades.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979:Chris; where's your PV1 situation with relation to your speakers?

How do you mean?

l_caa0a77dabf31fec69c7d619c566f746.jpg

You can see the PV1 in the bottom left hand corner, in the corner of my Lounge. I have since turned it 45 degrees to the wall and moved it out into the room a tad, which helped to tighten the sound (the room's fault, not the sub's).
emotion-2.gif

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks so far, gents.

Yes, Rel was my starting point. I do indeed look at second hand Stentors or Studios, but these are so rare! I missed a mint Stadium at teh end of January on ebay - it went for 500! One dealer (not selling Rels) has told me not to use Rels with ATCs as Rels will be too slow. I will still would like to hear them together and see if they are slow or what.

Velodynes - I do not know them, although read a lot about how good they are, so need to reseach these.

I do not know anyhting about B&W subs, althoug their speakers are good, I hear.

I would like to hear more recommendations. Would WHF team be able to recommend something here?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:
d_a_n1979:Chris; where's your PV1 situation with relation to your speakers?

How do you mean?

l_caa0a77dabf31fec69c7d619c566f746.jpg

You can see the PV1 in the bottom left hand corner, in the corner of my Lounge. I have since turned it 45 degrees to the wall and moved it out into the room a tad, which helped to tighten the sound (the room's fault, not the sub's).
emotion-2.gif

That's it Chris; cheers
emotion-1.gif

I was just curious to see how you'd got yours incorporated with your system. I'm tempted to go along a similar route but unfortunately dont have the spece along the back wall where the TV and hifi system would be due to furniture.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts