Help Required

rothlee

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Firstly, I'm technically probably overlapping on AV here too, but I need advice from experts on the marriage of stereo equipment with AV.

I'm currently looking to try to tie up a few bits of equipment whilst starting to open my options up with Blu Ray Audio and the use of DVD 5.1 discs which are starting to appear with anniversary CDs etc. At the moment I have a basic Denon PMA720 amp to run a CD player (also Denon) and an NAD turntable, along with a small DAC to link my TV (decent LG model) which takes in the audio for Sky, Xbox and a basic Blu Ray player.

I want to add a centre speaker (possibly a sub too) for the AV element and new audio sources (and will most likely add a decent Blu Ray player into the mix shortly) but I need to know if an AVR will provide similar levels of audio quality to the current amp (which is far from high end, but okayish). I've looked at a Denon X2200 and the only option I can see to add the turntable into the mix would be a pre-amp, but that then covers all my bases and means I don't need to double up on speakers.

Without the need to have speakers for stereo and a different set for AV, is the AVR I'm looking at any good for my requirements, or are there other ways to incorporate CD, BR Audio, TV, Sky, and (most importantly) turntable with one set-up?

I'm NOT an expert or especially techy, so please be gentle!!

This isn't my favourite topic either, but I don't like to see you ignored!

Yamaha AV receivers seem to be well thought of, and many have phono inputs alongside the multitude of digital and wireless options. They should be pretty much as good as your Denon, if not a bit better. You'd get a sub out too, and lots of options. You are looking at around £500, or less if you shop around.

Hope that helps a bit.

rothlee

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks. I did a search first and it did appear to be something that was - in many minds - straightforward and we should never ask. My concern was that as much as the Denon amp I have is my 'hi-fi', that didn't automatically mean that it was better than all AVRs, especially as those of us with amps at the lower end of budget and spec would assume that better quality AVRs are surely as good as lower end amps, a question nobody tackled convincingly.

The Yamaha you linked certainly seems to cover all bases, and reviews are very strong too. Appreciate you taking time to respond. Cheers.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
If you can push your budget to an AVR-4100X (£599 at Peter Tyson for example) you will get an AVR that in stereo mode matches your current amp, in my experience, but can do all the multi-channel processing and even has an MM phono stage.

rothlee

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks TomSawyer.

Definitely within reason. The Denon option I was looking at would need a pre-amp anyway, so the budget isn't just limited to the AVR itself. I'll look at this and the Yamaha and see what's going to be the best fit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts