Help required with amp upgrade

Bluezip82

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
I am presently looking to change my amp from the Arcam A75 in the hope that I can improve my set up, I have it bi-wired and bi-amped to an Arcam P75 using B&W C2 speakers. I have been looking at the Rotel RA-04 and the Roksan Kandy III but was wondering if they can be bi-wired and if the P75 would be still be suitable? Any help would be appreciated. 

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I don't know how much of an improvement you're gonna get from using a different integrated amp as a pre-amp for your P75.

You might be better off demoing integrated amps on their own and seeing if there's an improvement over your A75/P75 set up.

If binning both your Arcams doesn't appeal, you might be better of keeping your A75 and demoing different power amps.

A

Anonymous

So I'm guessing that you want to try a new integrated so that you can still bi-amp, one set from the integrated and one set from P75.

what you MUST consider is that whatever amplifier pair you get, you need to gain match them. Just chucking a roksan in there might give you tardy results because - perhaps - the roksans power stage has a gain 5dB higher than the P75 does. So your treble or bass will be 5db louder than it should be. So you gotta look at the gain of the power stage of any amp you consider.

Other than that, what kind of gain are you looking for extra bass control? better imaging? a brighter sound? a warmer sound (cough, arcam)? and what are you gonna be pumping through here.

A

Anonymous

There's always the option of using your current integrated as a preamp and buying a power amp. Pre/power combos give a very clean sound and you can pick the power and timbre you're looking for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts