Help re Sony STR-DH800

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear All

I recently upgraded to a STR-DH800. I'm running a PS3 and a Samsung Blu Ray player through it into a Toshiba Regza 55.

I have upgraded from a Yamaha 5.1 amp to get True HD.

In the manual, it says the STR will display what True-DH track it is playing but all I'm getting is LPCM. Is this correct? Should I not be getting e.g. TrueHD showing when showing playing something such as The Dark Knight or Bon Jovi Live at Madison Square Garden? Have gone into disc settings to pick True HD.

Any help much recommended.

Thks

C

A

Anonymous

What Samsung Blu ray player do you have?

It's probably just selecting the right setting in the players output.

A

Anonymous

Sorry - its a Philips BDP 3000 - typing too quick.

Should also say help appreciated - muppet!

Set up PS3 to output sound to HDMI and same as Philips.

Thks

C

A

Anonymous

C,

Does the players HD audio indicator light up on the front panel when you play as disc? and are you connecting the player via a HDMI lead (HD audio is not supported by optical or coaxial)

Try:

pressing the home button (looks like a house)

Select HDMI Audio

Select Bitstream Audio ( not auto)

I will have a look at the setup of the AVR on sonys site,

Mark

A

Anonymous

Awesome got the Philips working - now just got to try and get the PS3 working - changed it to Bitstream instead of auto as you suggested.

Many thanks

A

Anonymous

If you have the ps3 Phat Model, it will output Hd Audio as LPCM when set at the correct setting otherwise it will bitstream only Standard DD and DTS audio, if it is the slim set it to bitstream.. If you Blu ray Player Has Bitstream Ability enter the audio setting and set it to bitsream audio if not, it will output decoded audio in LPCM, that is still HD audio but audio quality will depend much on the Blu ray player then.

A

Anonymous

Glad you got the philips working, you might have to wait for a PS3 owner to help you with that one.

I sold my PS3 a while ago, but I seem to remember that origianlly the first one, was not able to bitstream HD audio to an external decoder, you had to let it convert it to LPCM, therefore, it would not light up on your AV receiver.

Hope some one with a PS3 can help, you may want to have a look through some old posts, there might already be an answer to that one.

A

Anonymous

Yes it's the fatter PS3. There doesn't seem to be any setting to alter Bitstream. ******.

How mcuh difference in quality is there between a PS3 in LPCM and a True HD signal?

Thks

C

A

Anonymous

There should be none, both the AVR & the PS3 have to do the same decoding in order for there to be sound.

Although some will argue that the decoder on some AVRs is better than on the PS3 or a blu ray player, but you really should not notice any difference.

Try playing a certain scene on your philips and then the same scene on your PS3 and see if you hear any difference.

TRENDING THREADS