Help please

Albert Urban

Jun 18, 2021
Visit site
Hello, just came by this old turntable and speakers, the metal plate scrapes so I've wedged a bit of cardboard to prop things up, but the sound quality is awful. Is there anything I can do to improve things, or should I just chuck them? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20210618_170135.jpg
    20210618_170135.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210618_170249.jpg
    20210618_170249.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 30
D

Deleted member 116933

The turn table is actually very good. It’s a linn of some sort. I can just about see the logo . Very expensive these days and highly prized. Worth getting it serviced. Speakers not so much putting it politely . If you intended on using the turn table long term think about getting a proper amp and speakers and to do it some justice.
as I say stop using it get it repaired before more damage is done.

The turntable is designed to be in a HiFi system the speakers aren't. Don't know how you managed to connect the two, I really don't.
service the turntable, which will be costly, and ditch the speakers
when you say just came across why did you buy them as a matter of interest?
Which metal plate scrapes? Do you mean the platter on the turntable?
The turntable appears to be an old Linn LP12 with a Grace 707 tonearm, which will be excellent when fully serviced, and the cartridge is probably knackered.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano
Exactly what Al said. The turntable and arm is probably worth up to £500 even as it is, because everything is replaceable.
If you connected them it would sound awful as the cartridge (needle) has to be equalised to play records properly.

Reactions: Al ears

prince albert

May 7, 2020
Visit site
It's early linn sondek lp12 with a grace arm and a shure cartridge
I used to build these years ago, just pop it in to a linn dealer and get them to set it up it's quite easy as the 3 springs under the top plate need adjusting using a 10 mm socket to lift the platter up of course there have major changes through the years so if you don't want to spend too much just get them to sort your issue metal plate scrapes

I used to build these years ago, just pop it in to a linn dealer and get them to set it up it's quite easy as the 3 springs under the top plate need adjusting using a 10 mm socket to lift the platter up of course there have major changes through the years so if you don't want to spend too much just get them to sort your issue metal plate scrapes
I note you don't mention the speakers..... :)

I note you don't mention the speakers..... :)

Oxfordian

How do people manage to just ‘find’ this stuff.

I watched Antiques Roadshow the other lunchtime, a woman went to her local charity shop, bought a vase for £2 and found out it was Chinese from some dynasty a few hundred years back and was worth over £10k.

Anyway it’s a nice deck, definitely worth getting some quotes to find out what it would cost to get it working. Alternatively if the OP has no interest in vinyl then establishing what is it worth ‘as is’, and flog it on that interweb thingy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts