Help please with TV sound & ARC

PaulX101

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung 49MU6220 49 Inch Curved 4K UHD Smart TV with HDR, A PC with a Nvidea 970gtx graphic card ,Pioneer VSX 924 Receiver,Sony Blu-Ray (for SACD),& a Pioneer Blu-Ray (for BR's & DVD). I have a HDMI from the out socket on the amp to the arc HDMI input of the TV, and both BR's and PC are connected by HDMI's to three of the inputs on the back of the amp.Everything seems to be working except I can't get audio from the Tv to the receiver.​ In the pioneer receiver it says "When the TV and receiver are connected by HDMI connections,if the TV supports HDMI ARC function the sound of the TV is input to the receiver via the HDMI out 1 terminal,so there is no need to connect an audio cable, In this case set ARC at HDMI set up to on​. In HDMI set up I have Control On, Control Mode ON, ARC On, PQLS Auto, Standby Through Off. Presuming that I have it set up right i'm confused as to what source button i should press to hear the audio (surely all the sources BD,DVD,SAT,TV etc are inputs) I have tried TV but there is silence. Please can someone help

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
You also have to enable audio out via ARC in your TV sound settings. Please go into your TV settings. And under audio, you will find a few options, like inbuilt speakers, or external speakers + inbuilt etc. Check for the option , external speakers only. This should route the audio out to your avr via the HDMI.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
as sometimes not all the hdmi sockets on the back handle ARC, on some tv's maybe only one of the available inputs can be used for ARC.

also have you tried a different hdmi cable, I may be wrong about this but not all cables are the same, some have ethernet capability built in.

finally can I ask why you need the sound from your tv through your amp, is it for streaming services (like Netflix etc).

*music2*

PaulX101

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi newlash 09.

Yes I have set the TV's ARC setting to on, It shows some blue LED's (like peak meters) going up & down and obviously cuts the audio from the TV's speakers

PaulX101

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi macdiddy

Yes HDMI leads are plugged into ARC on the TV & Receiver, Yes I have tried many different HDMI leads and yesterday purchased 3 new Audioquest pearl HDMI's (I thought I'd upgrade cables for the PC,Pioneer DVD,and of course TV to receiver but still no connection thru ARC)

I don't particularly need sound going back through TV, I have netflix,BT sport,etc as apps on PC, but it should work and I would like to find out why it does not.

I have for the moment plugged an spdif in and this will have to do for now, and I have sent emails to both Samsung & Pioneer and see if they can sort it out.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
PaulX101 said:
Hi macdiddy

Yes HDMI leads are plugged into ARC on the TV & Receiver, Yes I have tried many different HDMI leads and yesterday purchased 3 new Audioquest pearl HDMI's (I thought I'd upgrade cables for the PC,Pioneer DVD,and of course TV to receiver but still no connection thru ARC)

I don't particularly need sound going back through TV, I have netflix,BT sport,etc as apps on PC, but it should work and I would like to find out why it does not.

I have for the moment plugged an spdif in and this will have to do for now, and I have sent emails to both Samsung & Pioneer and see if they can sort it out.
I think your got to start with the basics first

I use the ARC on my Sony TV and I've got the audioquest HDMI cable myself anyway on my Yamaha Av I have a ARC input 1 do you have one on yours ?

On my TV my ARC hdmi is number 3 hdmi what's yours ? As already mentioned there is a setting on the tv to turn the ARC on and I think there is a setting in the Av menu as well it maybe different for your Av

you could try resetting your TV to factory settings to see if this resets the hdmi's controls and I would just for a start use 2 hdmi's for a start 1. From your TVs ARC input to your Av input 1. or were it says ARC then with the other hdmi lead use input 2. on your av then the other end connect your satellite box what ever you use . And connect nothing else as we are trying to get sound here .

go into your TVs menu and there should be a setting that says turn off your TV inbuilt speakers then go to ARC control and activate ARC and do the same if your Av has this setting check .

you should get sound

PaulX101

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
On my Pioneer receiver the Arc is on output 2, and I reset the amp to factory reset, on the Samsung TV (i have been wrongly numbering it, it is the 6500) and the Arc is on 3, which has also been reset to factory condition. I have no satellite/cable I just have freeview that is built into TV, I have switched off the TV speakers in the audio menu of the TV, and have set up the Amp to receive Arc. I have no other HDMI items plugged in. Still no TV audio through receiver.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
PaulX101 said:
On my Pioneer receiver the Arc is on output 2, and I reset the amp to factory reset, on the Samsung TV (i have been wrongly numbering it, it is the 6500) and the Arc is on 3, which has also been reset to factory condition. I have no satellite/cable I just have freeview that is built into TV, I have switched off the TV speakers in the audio menu of the TV, and have set up the Amp to receive Arc. I have no other HDMI items plugged in. Still no TV audio through receiver.
do you get sound though your Av if you did not use The ARC and used the basic hdmi 's inputs ? Instead because the ARC is ok but sometimes it doesn't always switch back to TV on mine as it's meant to listen out for a signal of a device like a blu ray player , or satellite box .but yours is obviously built in free view in the TV so should work I would of thought .

i am not sure what to suggest to you as resetting the TV and Av would be what I would try but that's not worked for you as the the ARC hdmi lead has got a extra tooth on the lead to carry sound and picture and is meant to be high speed connection for 4K picture .

PaulX101

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Blacksabbath25

Yes I have a Pioneer Blu Ray plugged into one input, a Sony Blu ray plugged into another (this is for SACD/Homemade HI Res audio dvds) and my pc plugged into another and they all work. Until I hear from Pioneer/Samsung I have plugged an optical cable from TV to Receiver and this works as a temporary solution.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts