Help Please with connections....

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
:oops: Hi every one hope are all well

Ok here goes I have never really been one for online facilitys regarding Tv Blu-ray etc, however I suppose I do need to catch up with the times, my daughter has been asking about being able to access Tv content ie you-tube etc etc along with Blu-ray content wifi and all other facilitys, this is all over my head iam afraid I have just been old school really whack a blu-ray in and watch the films. So what is the best way to connect all the cables to a main phone line, I have one phone socket in the lounge of which is my phone line that line then goes to my Bt-broadband hub, I have tried to connect my Sky-Hd using a double socket [the boxy bulky one with 2 inlets] but this does not seem to work. I have seen on some cinema installs there is a hub like box where all Tv Blu-ray and sky are connected to, then one cable going to a phone line, do I have this right if I have can some one recommend such a box/hub or have i got this wrong, I could fit a double wall phone socker but this would only allow 2 connections, so I would have to then piggy back the other inputs which would be to bulky and not very nice looking.

Hope I have explained this ok any help would be welcomed.

Thank you

Andy

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Thank you benlaw

I did see that there were extra sockets on the back of the Bt-hub, I did look through the manual but did not really give any options as to what can be connected, only that extra phone lines can be input, nothing about Tvs Disc players.

Ok I will give this a go.

Thanks Buddy :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pioneer7 said:
I did see that there were extra sockets on the back of the Bt-hub, I did look through the manual but did not really give any options as to what can be connected, only that extra phone lines can be input, nothing about Tvs Disc players.

Those aren't phone lines, they're network connections, it's a different cable, you can plug anything that is network enabled into them, such as your blu-ray player (although you haven't actually said which one you've got), the SkyHD box, most new TVs, a PC or laptop etc etc. What are you using your broadband for at the moment?

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Lhc

Ok I use our Pc just for internet thats it, My Sky Hd-box is usally not connected via phone line, but when we do it is only for box office films, but this is hit and miss as I usally have to run an extention lead from the Hd-box to another phone line [which is not being used] so as you can imagine a bit of a pain, I have put down a deposit on a panasonic VT-50 and will be buying the Cambridge audio Blu-ray player, so I am trying to get every thing right now rather than leave it untill I get everything.

So am I right in thinking I just need to buy 3 lengths of erthnet/phone cables, one for each device-Tv-Player-Sky then go into back of router-Bt-Hub as stated ealier.

Thank you. ;)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pioneer7 said:
Ok I use our Pc just for internet thats it, My Sky Hd-box is usally not connected via phone line, but when we do it is only for box office films, but this is hit and miss as I usally have to run an extention lead from the Hd-box to another phone line [which is not being used] so as you can imagine a bit of a pain,

Don't worry about that, the phone line connection to the Sky box isn't relevant.

So am I right in thinking I just need to buy 3 lengths of erthnet/phone cables, one for each device-Tv-Player-Sky then go into back of router-Bt-Hub as stated ealier.

Ethernet cables, NOT phone cables, they're completely different, cable, plug, everything different. And don't spend a fortune buying them from PC World or anywhere like that, either order them online (look for Cat5e or Cat6 cables) or find a local independent PC chap, hopefully they won't rip you off too much.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
:clap: Ur a star Lhc thank you, you must have read my mind I was going to ask which were the right cables, they are the yellow ones arnt they, I say yellow because that is what I have seen on systems.

I must be getting old I have been out of the A/V thing for a while now, so I have some catching up to do, I did hear a whisper that the pioneer Lx91 Blu-ray player may be getting a chip upgrade for 3D but nothing came of it, but seeing the cambridge Audio was a reverlation musically very good indeed.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pioneer7 said:
:clap: Ur a star Lhc thank you, you must have read my mind I was going to ask which were the right cables, they are the yellow ones arnt they, I say yellow because that is what I have seen on systems.

There's generally no specific colour for ethernet cables, so don't worry about it, they could be grey or red or yellow or blue or white (I've got all of the above at home) or any other colour.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Lhc Sorry buddy

Ok I have just pulled my Hd box out and there is a phone line cable [which is what I use for access for box office and general updating] but there is also an earthnet socket, do I just conect the phone line cable into the back of the Bt hub or disconnect this and use the earthnet cable instead, sorry for being, well you know...

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Ok so the earthnet cable is in addition to the phone line cable, can you explain the point of having 2 cables coming from the Hd box surely the phone cable is doing what its suposed to do.. isnt it?? I just need to be able to connect it to a line to obtain the services along with the Future Tv and Blu-ray player.. :cry: Crickey I must be one thick.....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pioneer7 said:
Ok so the earthnet cable is in addition to the phone line cable, can you explain the point of having 2 cables coming from the Hd box surely the phone cable is doing what its suposed to do.. isnt it??

The phone cable is doing what it's required for, which is ringing back to Sky to order Box Office stuff. That's not enough to enable you to use online stuff such as Anytime+ though, for that the Sky box needs access to your broadband connection, using an ETHERNET cable via the BT hub.

I just need to be able to connect it to a line to obtain the services along with the Future Tv and Blu-ray player..

Yes, so go and buy yourself some ethernet cables and plug them into your BT broadband hub.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
:cry: Right so back to my original question I do need a double phone wall socket 1 for the hub and 1 for sky box, rather than having to use one of those horrible adapters that stick out from the single phone socket...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pioneer7 said:
:cry: Right so back to my original question I do need a double phone wall socket 1 for the hub and 1 for sky box, rather than having to use one of those horrible adapters that stick out from the single phone socket...

No, you MUST use the "adaptor" (it's actually called a micro-filter), that's what allows your phones and your broadband to share the same line. If you plug the Sky box phone line directly into a phone socket without the micro-filter your broadband connection will stop working.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
|( Yes I do understand that, but what Iam trying to get over is, I only have one socket in our lounge, which our broadband is connected to thats all fine, but I want to try and tidy up this by not having to stick an adapter into this socket so I can connect my hd box, you are correct the hd box does have a micro filter fitted, but I am just trying to tidy up the connection on the wall socket its self, if I put a double adapter socket in, you know the ones that stick out and can be knocked out, can I just fit a flush double wall phone socket, allowing me to then connect both Hd box and broad band box, which tidys everything up.

Please god please let me have explained this right :help:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Btw you probably won't need separate ethernet cables for both the blu ray player and the TV, as ethernet should transmit via HDMI. In any event, if you're using Panasonic's services, I'm not sure there's anything more you'll get / need with th CA BDP.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Yeah. You can get phone sockets with 2 ports on the front.

Collar an Openreach engineer and you may even be able to blag one, but Openreach sockets need an IDC insertion, or 'Krone' tool to terminate the wires. A shop bought double socket should have regular screw connectors.

FWIW, the phone wires connect to terminals 2 & 5 on the socket.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Oh it's allowed for in the hdmi standards alright and any cable that claims to be high speed with Ethernet will support it, it's just the amp and blu-ray makers that haven't made any use of it, afaik.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts