Help please: No component picture through a Sony STR-DG820

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I'm new to AV receivers and I've just bought a new (open box) Sony STR-DG820 and I'm in the process of connecting everything through it. I'm having problems with my ageing DVD recorder (Sony RGR-GX700). Previously it was connected to my TV via scart and worked fine. Now I'm connecting it through the amp via component for the video (Video 1) and optical for the sound. The sound is working fine but I cannot get any picture. I've set the component option to 'on' in the DVD menu and I've checked the component lead is OK by connecting the DVD directly to the TV. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Kirkview:
Hi

I'm new to AV receivers and I've just bought a new (open box) Sony STR-DG820 and I'm in the process of connecting everything through it. I'm having problems with my ageing DVD recorder (Sony RGR-GX700). Previously it was connected to my TV via scart and worked fine. Now I'm connecting it through the amp via component for the video (Video 1) and optical for the sound. The sound is working fine but I cannot get any picture. I've set the component option to 'on' in the DVD menu and I've checked the component lead is OK by connecting the DVD directly to the TV. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Does the Sony receiver upconvert component to hdmi? I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. You would therefore need to connect the dvd player to your screen with component and then the audio cable from dvd to amp.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. Just phoned Sony and they said the same.

Does this mean I can't watch any component signal through the receiver, in which case why has it got 3 sets of component in jacks?

At the moment I have a Wii connected to the only component in jack on my TV. Is it the case that I can only have either the DVD recorder or the Wii connected at one time if neither of them can be routed through the receiver?

Thanks.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
The 820 does not upconvert, so you would need another component video cable going from the amp to the TV. I cannot remember how the 820's inputs are configure but I would imagine that HDMI takes priority over the others, so as long as the HDMI source is in standby, the component video signal will pass through but you will have to assign the inputs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I will get another component cable and try that.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Kirkview:Thanks, I will get another component cable and try that.

Sorry but I don't understand what you are doing here and feel that you are wasting money on another component cable. The DG820 cannot upscale the component cable so unless you have other pieces of kit that need connection through component cable, you might as well just connect from screen to dvd recorder and just the amp to dvd recorder with audio cable (optical or coaxial).

EDIT. Sorry, just read your last post again! Yes, as the other guy said, if you connect from screen to amp with component, you can then add the Wii to the amp as well (with an audio cable obviously).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts