Help please! - KEF KHT3005 SE or B&W MT-30?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm just about to kit out my new media room and am trying to decide between the KEF KHT3005 SE or B&W MT-30 speaker packages.

As the KEF's are great deal cheaper it's going to give me more to spend on the TV, so this is a consideration. But if the B&W's are a magnitude better, then I could be pursuaded.

The receiver is most likely to be Sony STR-DA1200ES. I'll be using the system for TV (Sky HD), movies and music (preference for classical).

Thoughts much appreciated....

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
I tried the KEF KHT3005 and was suitably unimpressed by them, so I would say the B&W MT30 is worth paying the extra money, especially when I see that you enjoy your music too.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for the view. Just to be clear though, was it the SE (Special Edition) version of the KEF's that you heard?

This month's magazine makes clear that the stanard version and the SE version are very different animals.

Thanks.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
It wasn't the SE version. Seems like KEF has managed to pull a lot of rabbits out of their hat with their SE versions. First, their award winner iQ5 suffered the humiliation of having a star knocked off by the MA BR5, and then they clawed that star back with the SE version. This intense competition is great for us consumers!

A

Anonymous

I use the B&W speakers and love them, although I am using a REL Quake sub. I think the sub that comes with the MT-30 package would be an improvement over my setup, and look a hell of a lot better to boot!

I have listened to the KEF's, in the SE version, and i'd still lean towards the B&W's. but i am biased....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The awesome, multi-Award-winning PV1 subwoofer in the MT30 is the key factor here - it's what makes the system cost £1500+, and is worth every bit of it. That's why the package remained an Award winner last year, despite the B&W MT20 falling to the Monitor Audio Radius package.

We will, of course, be putting the new KEF set-up up against the B&W MT30 plus the Monitor Audio Radius set-up to determine this year's style speaker package product of the year. Awards issue is only 6 weeks away....

A

Anonymous

All. Thanks very much. I think I get the message loud and clear (no pun!).

I agree that this is a a great time for consumers.

And Clare, I'll buy the mag anyway.... No need to be such a tease! :) But thanks for the hints in the message! 6 weeks.... I want the system installed and working by then!

Again thanks to all.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
No teasing, i assure you - we haven't done the comparative test yet, and we never pre-judge the results!

Good look with your system - should be a corker.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts