Help please - amp and speakers for £2,000

baldy38

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
I have a Rega Saturn CD player and am looking to upgrade my amp and speakers. Unforunately, having tried a few things out, I am going around in circles, my head is starting to hurt and could do with some help.

I want a system that is a major step up from my Brio 3 and B&W 686s, and works well at moderate listening levels - ie does not lose clarity and detail at low-ish volumes, but has an ability to step and give it some when required.

I have tried Kef XQ10s and Leema Xeros with a Naim 5i. I have tried with my Brio B&W CM1s (not a major improvement) and 805S (very nice indeed - but buying an amp would send me way over). I have tried Wilson Benesch Square Ones with my Brio (not good enough), Cyrus 8vs2 (still not good enough) and Cyrus 8vs2 plus PSX-R (very nice - but beyond my budget).

I started by thinking I should spend a lot on speakers and a moderate amount on an amp. But I am beginning to think it should be even, or perhaps slightly more on the amp than speakers.

That got me thinking about a Leema Pulse with something.

Anyway, you can probably see my dilemma. Can someone please help with some suggestions that might work?

A

Anonymous

You could try the Spendor SA1s with the new Kandy amp. Might work rather well!

A

Anonymous

It's a shame that there isnt a classifieds section here. Im looking to shift an amazing intergrated amp and speaker combo as Im relocating to another country.

The speakers are only 5 months old and I want them to go to a good home :(

A

Anonymous

My current set-up in terms of amp and speakers:

Bel Canto S300i

Dynaudio 72SE Rosewood - despite their luke warm reception by WHF are immense speakers

A

Anonymous

baldy38:It would bust my budget if I bought the stands as well, though - how important is it to buy the custom-made ones?
Well I don't have the stands and it sounds superb. I expect it does add to it all quite well but you could get them later...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
thfcwestlower:

It's a shame that there isnt a classifieds section here. Im looking to shift an amazing intergrated amp and speaker combo as Im relocating to another country.

The speakers are only 5 months old and I want them to go to a good home :(

I would too if I was a spurs fan

John Duncan

Yeah you can get cheap ones and add the zebrano veneer from here.......
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

You should present Blue Peter..."this week I'll be making some speaker stands and veneering them so you'd better get your belt sander during the break...and don't forget to ask a parent to supervise you with the industrial glue..."

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Go and listen to some AVI ADM9.1's too if you can before commiting. £2k is not an insubstantial amount of money and you might end up paying far less than that. Even with a good sub they come in substantially below budget.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Are you getting 'em DM?

Most probably JohnD. A couple of things to check out still but I genuinely don't think I can find anything I can afford that's as good. Also looking for a good deal on a Kuro so if I get that then the deal's settled.

T

the record spot

Some amps to consider: Jungson JA-88D (£900), Sugden A21A-S2 (£1300)

Speakers: Acoustic Energy AE1 Classics (£850), RRR FS100 (£1000), Yamaha Soavo 2 (£1200), Spendor S3/5E and if you don't mind studio monitor looks (which wouldn't bother me), there's the Acoustic Energy AE22 Actives at £850 which are apparently fantastic speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts