HELP - onkyo did not work out so back to the drawing board - advice needed to complex amp issues

scubasteve

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
All,

Need your advice again folks. My decision to get the onkyo 905 as a single amp for all sources has not worked out. 1. the power consumption keeps tripping my entire house power. As a result of this, it keeps resetting the amp to factory status. i travel and so this leaves the family with no way to watch or listen to anything until i return and set everything up again (leaving instructions for the boss is not an acceptable solution)

So i need a new solution. i currently have 4 sources all via HDMI

1. pioneer DV969i for DVD's via HDMI and for CD's

2. Apple TV for music via HDMI (music is all lossless format) and for downloaded movies/TV show

3. PS3 for games and Blu ray movies.

4. Starhub HD cable TV box (i live in singapore)

I also have a cyrus CD8x in the cupboard that is not used

TV is a panasonic 50" full HD plasma (only 2 HDMI inputs)

Speakers are B&W 805's, HTM4s centre, Velodyne Sub.

Possible option.

Thinking of moving the PS3 upstairs to the bedroom or playroom (I have a spare pioneer 435 HD ready plasma to connect to for gaming).

I could sell the pioneer DV969i and swap to an Oppo BD831 for bluray, multiregion DVD, and CD's

So i need help with amplification. the most important thing sadly is that it must be really really simple to use for the wife or i am a dead man!

In other words i think i still need an AV amp with 3 HDMI inputs and with pre outs and digital outs to act as the master selector and to drive the centre speaker and subs at a minimum.

Given almost all my music is now coming from the apple TV i think i also need a stereo amp with built in DAC but also with HT bypass.

either that or i stick to an all in one AV amp like the onkyo and fix the power issue (not sure if that will be possible).

i would really appreciate your help on this guys as am going mad. Budget in the region of 3000 pounds for the amplification section. (bte way the arcam 600 costs about 2700 pounds here in singapore if that helps drive discussion and pioneer kit is normally a little cheaper than the UK)

Stack

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If the Onkyo amp is tripping the power and reseting. I would imagine there is a fault with the amp and it might be worth taking back to where you bought it for it to be looked at.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I would agree with that - back when I enjoyed the mighty '905 I had no such issues (though maybe your power supplies differ).

If, however, you're looking for an alternative, i'd suggest either the Yamaha DSP-Z7 or Pioneer 'LX82 - both awesome amps with all the features you need.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
They get close for movie performance, but the Arcam is definitely more musical. I'd urge you to audition all three if you can; the Arcam could be a one-stop amp for you, or you may prefer the others & stereo amp, as you mention in your original post.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts