Help on wireless network

notaclue

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
You will tell I don't know what I am talking about from reading this - so please be gentle....

I have BT Broadband and Homehub - this does the normal WiFi Internet Broadband for my Laptop/Mac/Touch. It also is linked to my BT Vision box via a mains connector. Its important to note the BT Vision box is in the kids playroom, as is the Homehub, not in my main living room.

In the living room I now have 4 devices that can connect to the internet - via a Ethernet cable - Humax Freesat Box, Samsung TV, Samsung BluRay and now a Pioneer Amp.

What I want to know is what is the easiest way of connecting these 4 bits of kit to my Homehub - running cable/s is not an option as they are the other side of the house.

I have an old(ish) Belkin router/modem - would this work as some kind of 'bridge' - i.e. it connects wirelessly to the Homehub and then I plug in the Ethernet cables to this box? Would this be hard to do?

Any other options? - Can I run another mains connector thingy (technical term) - but I think they only do 1 Ethernet cable?

Help please.

Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
My immediate thought would be another mains connector thing in the living room and add an 8 port switch in the living room, plug the switch into the mains connector thingy and your living room network devices into the switch. The advantage of the switch is that there's nothing to configure.

One question though, if the BT Vision box and Homehub are in the same room, why are you using a mains connector to connect them together, why not just plug the Vision box directly in the Homehub? You could then use one of the mains connectors in the living room and you only need to buy the switch.

notaclue

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks - I am using the mains connector in the kids room as that's they way it was set up, you are right - with a bit of telephone extension cable I could probably put them in the same place: the BT wall socket is the other side of the room from the BT Vision Box - didn't really cross my mind!

So a basic Switch would do the trick - thanks. I was worried that plugging 4 devices in through one Switch into one mains connector might not work.

Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
notaclue:
Many thanks - I am using the mains connector in the kids room as that's they way it was set up, you are right - with a bit of telephone extension cable I could probably put them in the same place:

I was thinking of a longer ethernet cable between the two to be honest but either way should work.

So a basic Switch would do the trick - thanks. I was worried that plugging 4 devices in through one Switch into one mains connector might not work.

No should be fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts