admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I currently have the following setup:

PC feeding FLACs and 320kbps MP3s to a MF V-DAC II via USB

Marantz PM-5004

Klipsch RB-81

I recently auditioned a pair of MA RS6 connected to a NAD amp + cd-player, and I have to say I loved the way they sounded.

I'm failry new to Hi-Fi, so I'm asking: is there anything I could do to get my setup sound closer to what I auditioned ?

Thank you for your help !

matthewpiano

It all comes down to what you want to spend, but if you like the sound of a NAD amp, you aren't going to achieve that with Marantz amplification. The two brands are quite different to each other - take it from someone who has been backwards and forwards between them several times (1x Marantz PM4002, 2 x Marantz PM6003, 2 x NAD C325BEE, and 3x NAD C326BEE). With NAD you get a warmer, fuller and gutsier sound with a holographic presentation on the right recordings whilst Marantz gives you a generally smoother, more explicitly detailed and less punchy sound, though certainly somewhat cleaner, particularly at the frequency extremes. Both are excellent in their own way.

However, your speakers will also be quite different to the MAs, so I would suggest trying a few options in a demonstration, both speakers and amps. Then you will be in a better position to decide which part of your system to change first. Certainly I would advise changing one piece at a time so that you can then appreciate the impact each component is having on the overall sound.

A

Anonymous

I'm currently considering to add a pair of RF-82's to my setup. Will the PM5004 suffice for all four, or do I need to switch to a PM6004, or add it also to the setup ?

A

Anonymous

you can include Rotel in your options also. Worth considering.

I had a NAD C320BEE before, now using RA 06. I like what I have now. My old NAD is OK for music such as Andrea Bocelli but I think it is not up to the job for faster music.

The RA 06 has more authorithy and deeper bass, something that my NAD is lacking. Now I find a lots of my old CDs really sing.

I auditioned Marantz PM7003 and just for curiosity, a Krell S300i also. Marantz has nothing special. Krell is the best, with slightly smoother top end but it can only be detected with focused listening (I used the same song during the audition). If I listen to music while doing something else, I would not be able to notice it.

I towed my Rotel to test PMC speakers also and tested it against 47 Lab amplifier. Again, I think I am entering a law of diminishing return, the 47 Lab amplifier hardly impressed me as it is only slightly different from Rotel, although it cost USD20k plus (30x of my Rotel).

THe end result of audition is I have to save some money to buy PMC speakers, my next project, to replace my Bronze B2 which i think is now the weakest part of my system (MArantz CD 6004 + Rotel RA 06).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts