Help needed with floorstanders!!

KrisC123

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey i am having trouble choosing a good set of budget floor standing speakers, i have a maximum spend of £300.

I have been researching for a while and have narrowed down to either the Tannoy Mercury V4's or the Mission Mx3's. i would just like to know peoples opinions about the 2 or if the have another set i should maybe consider.

Ive decided to go for floorstanders because i listen to bass heavy music (mr scruff - pickled spider) comes to mind. My bookshelf speakers arent really up to the job. I also listen to a wide variety of music fro metal to pop to classical.

If anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it, thanks

KrisC123

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I would say it's relatively forgiving, but im not too sure on the term. My room doesn't echo if that's what you mean. And currently I have a pretty old Sony which to me seems fairly under powered and needs replacing. I'm thinking of a Yamaha v673 for home cinema but that's a long term goal. I was going to buy the denon dm37 (I have a friend selling one) to power the speakers until I get the money for the yamaha.

T

the record spot

There's a pair of Mission 752s on Gumtree in Glasgow just now, in near mint (it looks like) condition. Original boxes and the seller can ship for about £20 extra. So, for less than £100 you'll get some speakers that'll be better than your £300 would otherwise get you for new. I know where my money would go. Fantastic speakers.

KrisC123

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
At Matthew, I was looking at the wharfedale 10.4s and throught they looked superb but there is nowhere I could audition them. I do rate them highly on looks though, very nice indeed.

At the record spot, even though the speakers are probably alot better than anything I could buy new, I'd rather buy them new just incase anything goes wrong with them, thanks for the input though

matthewpiano

KrisC123 said:
At Matthew, I was looking at the wharfedale 10.4s and throught they looked superb but there is nowhere I could audition them. I do rate them highly on looks though, very nice indeed.

I decided to give my B&Ws a break tonight and hooked my 10.4s up to my main system and they really impressed me with the intimacy and involving nature of their sound again. Great speakers and very under-rated.

Tonestar1

If you enjoy the sound your bookshelf speakers produce at the moment, other than lack of bass, consider a sub. For £300 You should get a great sub second hand which will provide more bass than you will ever need... well maybe but bass shouldnt be a problem for a normal bass head. Swapping out you full speaker rig could result in a sound you aren't happy with.

KrisC123

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I was seriously considering getting a subwoofer because I am pretty happy with the sound of my bookshelf's but decidered against it as it would take up more space, which I have very little of at the moment.

If I get the floor standers I'd be able to use my bookshelf speakers as rears when I move out, then I'll consider getting a sub :) cheers.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The Tannoy V4's look like a good choice. Fairly sensitive so should be powered fine by the small Denon for now, also have good reviews and less than £300. You could also look at the Q acoustics 2050i but they are over your budget.

KrisC123

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Its been a while since I first post this and I've still not came to a firm decision but it's definitately between the v4s and the Q acoustics 2050i. i have since bought the denon dm39 which I really enjoy. I've had a listen to both sets of speakers and im leaning towards the 2050i's, they sound very nice (though didn't get them tested with the denon). The tannoys do sound good with the denon but the only reason id be going for them is because they are cheaper. What do you guys think I should do?

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I used Wharfedale 9.5 (3-Way) earlier & the bass really kicked my stomach, like you have a 8" sub with freq. resp. from 30Hz - 22 kHz. Should be better than the 10.4 IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts