Help needed with buying a mediocre pair of headphones :D

denonnewbie

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I posted this question earlier today but it seems that the spam filter deleted it as they featured two links from amazon. My bad. Anyways, I'm a student and I'm looking to buy myself a pair of decent headphones, that are within my tight budget, ofc. I decided to buy a pair of DENON headphones, but can't make up my mind between the AH-D321 and AH-D401 (both models have been recently discontinued by manufacturer, but are on a huge discount). The latter ones ought to be better, but they seem so heavy and huge, and I need headphones only for listening to some indie-rock-folk music, so deep basses and stuff don't mean much to me. Thanks in advance

Audiofilo

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Can you demo them? I'm not sure if these are for you if you're not into bass. If you do want these, then the D321 is 249g and the D401 is 308g.

May I suggest the AKG450 if you don't need a mic for £40 or the K451/2 for £50 with a mic? Is it for portable use only or home use too?

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I owned the D401 and have demoed the 321. Both are absolutely shocking. The bass is very strong but the quality is terrible. I'm shocked Denon even decided to relese such a product since their D600 are portable Hifi.

What is your budget?

If you want a cheap headphone that performs well in all the frequencies and sounds excellent buy the Skull Candy Aviator 2.0 Very good for the price.

Ryanr1987 said:
I owned the D401 and have demoed the 321. Both are absolutely shocking. The bass is very strong but the quality is terrible. I'm shocked Denon even decided to relese such a product since their D600 are portable Hifi.

That seems to fit OP's need for a mediocre pair of headphones perfectly! ;)

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
Ryanr1987 said:
That seems to fit OP's need for a mediocre pair of headphones perfectly! ;)

I second that! BTW, Edd of NobleHiFi is the Denon expert I know best, so maybe the OP can look up that review site for Denons.

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I see them Denons way below medicore though! If the OP wants a pair of headphones that have no clarity at all for his music taste with muddy overpowering bass, crap build quality and overpriced then get them ;). The 400/401 just shouldn't be used for music! As a headset to talk on the phone maybe.. since it has the control wheel and are midly comfortable. I've been a huge fan of Denons for a long time and just can't recommend the Urban raver series at all. The Denon 340 wasn't too bad at £70 though!

At the price point of the Urban ravers there is plenty of average-good choices! if the OP must have a Denon headphone the D340 were lively, fairly musical although a bit brighter then i'd normally like but they are fun.

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
This is a good price for the Denon D340 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-AH-D340-Maniac-On-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00B0QK7WO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395228049&sr=8-1&keywords=Denon+d340 Sparkly Highs, less forward mids and extended bass with a nice soundstage which is the house sound of Denon!

very good for the price I think! for £45 these are quite excellent!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marley-Exodus-Harvest-Headphones-Button/dp/B005FO2CBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395228256&sr=8-1&keywords=house+of+marley+exodus These are on a similar level to the V moda M80 they are quite balanced with an ever so slightly boosted bass! they look quite nice too with a very unique look.

If you wanna aim higher you can pick these up for £150 used but in good condition http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-AH-D600-Over-Ear-Headphone/dp/B008MUXTSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395228378&sr=8-1&keywords=Denon+D600

These have one of the largest soundstages in a closed headphone very similar to the ultrasone series and the older Denon series. These are sparkly highes, very detailed throughout with a great mid range tone! powerful bass too! I really recommend these and also if you are a gamer the soundstage really shines and with a bit of bass reducer the positional ques are very good. most important of all these are comfy!!

RobHertford

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
UNPUBLISHED BY MODS - BREACH OF HOUSE RULES

Firstly, a disclosure, I work for August and we manufacture the headphones that I'd suggest.

Having said that, I have also paid for a pair of our August EP650s, as has everyone else that works here, they are seriously good value cans.

Anyway, don't take my word for it, just read the reviews: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F54Y6G

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
dalethorn said:
I had the Marley Exodus - possibly the world's most uncomfortable headphone, among the 100 or so I have purchased.

They where at first. They did a revision on them and fixed the headband comfort! I don't find them really comfy but I don't find them uncomfy either and the weight is quite minimal. The newer revision was much better and for the price I can't really find anything that sounds better then these at £45.

I prefer the Denon D340 over them but they are almost double the price. I really value comfort and didn't find either that bad certainly not as bad as the M100 or Beats by Dre Mixr.

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I used to own the Exodus the pads where not a problem. They where a bit hard but not how you describe at all. If the OP is interested he can try them and see how the comfort is. Comfort is different for everyone! I own the AD700 which are described by people as uncomfy but they are the most comfortable i've ever worn.

I'm also a gamer so comfort is important for very long hours. I'm suprised you find the Exodus horrible but no complaints about the M100 which are not comfy at all.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The v-moda headphone is a beautifully engineered bit of gear - the Exodus looks like something hand-made in the Outback from scrap materials - and feels like it too. My intent was not to get into a debate with someone who is known for bizarre reviews - my intent was merely to warn whoever might read this about the ultra-clamp and leather earpads on the Marley. Ever buy new leather shoes that hurt your feet until they were broken in? Ditto the Exodus.

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Reviews are subjective Dale ;) and taking a shot at my negative review on the M100 is really childish. Keep amazon seperate from this to save arguments this is how you got banned before Dale so please learned from your passed mistakes.

I never pointed out the you where wrong in saying about the comfort! it was infact you suggested I never worn them just because you felt them uncomfy.

Dale your ears are no better then anyone elses and neither are you better then anyone else so just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't meen they are wrong. While you may think the M100 is perfectly designed I think the design has flaws in the comfort.

I think your review and comments on the Yamaha was inaccurate but that's just me! it's all about preference in this hobby.

New mememers will quickly learn that it will take trying phones out themselves will be the the best way.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Ryanr1987 said:
Reviews are subjective Dale ;) and taking a shot at my negative review on the M100 is really childish. Keep amazon seperate from this to save arguments this is how you got banned before Dale so please learned from your passed mistakes. I never pointed out the you where wrong in saying about the comfort! it was infact you suggested I never worn them just because you felt them uncomfy. Dale your ears are no better then anyone elses and neither are you better then anyone else so just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't meen they are wrong. While you may think the M100 is perfectly designed I think the design has flaws in the comfort. I think your review and comments on the Yamaha was inaccurate but that's just me! it's all about preference in this hobby. New mememers will quickly learn that it will take trying phones out themselves will be the the best way.

First you raise the M100 issue unnecessarily then you talk about me being BANNED. It is obvious you came here to pick a fight because of how you were so embarrassed on your bizarre Amazon review. I'd suggest you get off of your vengeance agenda right now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts