Help needed - Advice on subwoofer to add to my 2 channel system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a sub for my new 2ch system which I've put together.

I have a Musical Fidelity M3i integrated amp, Proac Tablette reference 8 speakers and Firestone Spitfire Mk2 DAC.

I'm looking for a sub that will match this system and to be honest I have absolutely no idea what makes a good sub. Admittedly I'll be doing it on a budget so I'm hamstrung in a way I guess, but I'll be willing to consider second hand if I need to.

The main use of the system is for music, but I do also use it for my TV watching as well. From what I've read some subs can be musical which is probably a requirement given that music is the main use. The sub will be located against a wall and entertainment unit to the side of the TV.

I would prefer to get away with around 250-300 pound, but will be willing to stretch to say 350 if I need to.

What do people think of the REL T2 or T3 subs? I prefer the T3 for size.

What are some other good musical options in that price range? MJ Acoustics Pro 50 Mk2?

I'm not looking for something that's going to shake the walls, just something that is going to provide a nice fill to complete the sound from the small Proacs.
Thanks in advance,
Mick

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
A sub for hi-fi duties needs to be fast and tight. You're thinking along the right lines with Rel. The Strata series is excellent for music. I have the Strata II, which can be picked up, second hand, for £150-£200. The Strata V is lovely. it's a smaller cabinet, so it doesn't go as deep as the II, but it's got great pace. it's also remote controlled, unlike my II, which is useful and cool. The V can be had, again second hand, for £300-£350.

I think you're doing the right thing, btw. A well integrated sub takes the performance of a hi-fi to another level.

The Strata V looks like this:

REL_Storm_5.jpg

A

Anonymous

Wow That looks a bit bigger than what I imagined. I'll have to try and get the dimensions for it. But if you think that the REL T3 would be a reasonable suggestion I might consider that. It's under budget and the size is good.

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I've never been a big fan of adding subs to hi-fi setups, in most cases it doesn't work. To be honest if your unhappy with the sound of your current speakers I'd spend the time and money aditioning and getting some new ones.

A

Anonymous

Don't get me wrong. I love the sound of the Proac's. The treble and midrange is supberb compared to what I'm used to. I even think the bass is great given the size. I'm just wondering whether adding that extra low end will fill out the sound completely. The other reason looking for a sub is because of the size and look of the floorstanders. It's just not something that the Mrs wants. The reason I moved to the smaller bookshelfs in the first place was the size. A small subwoofer would be discrete enough to get away with though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts