Help me upgrade ...

f2ftech

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
My home cinema amp is on its way out. Having beeen repaired a year ago its slowly dying (several HDMI ports are no longer working requiring me to "juggle" cables - which I am sure will lead to its demise shortly). In short I need to replace with a new equivelant. I say equivelant but I want to future proof a little by having 4k/Atmos (which my TV/speakers dont currently support).

I am not looking at replaceing any of my other equipment currently.

I have a budget of about £1000 - £1200.

My currently amp: Onkyo TX-NR1008

Speakers: Monitor Audio Apex (in a 9.1 format employing 2 x Front R/L, 2 x Front High R/L, 2 x Rear R/L, 2 x Rear High R/L, 1 x Centre, 1 x Sub) - I would like to convert this to an Atmos 5.2.2 format if I can eventually.

I only listen to TV/Movies/PS4 (I have a seperate HiFi for music in a different room).

Can anyone help with a replacement suggestion?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Having owned Apex speakers, although they were lovely speakers for what they were aimed for, I did find them a little softer and relaxed in sound compared to their smaller sister Radiuses, which were more zappy and crisp sounding. So I personally wouldn't want anything too warm for the Apexes as they seemed to need a bit of welly to get them excited. I'd be inclined to look at either the Pioneers or the Yamaha AV receivers. (Yamaha used to have a reputation for being warm sounding but in recent years are more neutral). But that's just my taste, you might be different. I've never heard Onkyo receivers so I don't have anything to compare it with.

There are some cracking deals about on last year's 4k friendly AV receivers from both brands as this year's models have just been introduced. But it means if you weren't too fussed about the very latest specs, you could get a higher quality amp for the same money. So compare the spec lists carefully between the Pioneer SC-LX59 (currently about £1k) and its newer equivalent, the SX-LX701 (£1400) and the Yamaha RX-A2050 (still some around at £1k) and its newer equivalent, the RX-A2060 (£1500).

But if you prefer a slightly fuller rounded sound, by all means check out the Marantz SR7010 which is excellent value at the moment at around £900 seeing that its newer sister has just been introduced at £1400.

f2ftech

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I knew there was something I forgot. I have a "outside cinema" - two external wall monted speakers and a projector (using a large white wash wall) that I use in the summers. The speakers and projector connect to the Onkyo amp as a second source/room. This means that I need a direct replacement of the Onkyo amp which is 11.1 (and unfortunately all the good amps you have suggested are 9 channel amps). Sorry.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I think there may be others but most 11 channel AVRs only have nine power amps and thus still need an external power amp for front main speakers or rear Atmos overheads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts