Help me set up my first setup!

fweaky

Jul 5, 2024
Visit site
Hello!
I'm looking to start my hi-fi journey and i'm desperately searching all over the forums for suggestions since months. I mainly listen to classical, jazz and indie music in a 20mq room with low wooden ceilings. My budget for speakers + integrated amplifier would be around 1500€ also considering used gear. I like a warm sound so i'm also considering vintage and hybrid amplifiers.
Please consider that placement would be not more than 30cm from the rear wall.
I've narrowed down a list of the following gear:

Speakers:
  • Celestion sl-6
  • B&W DM12
  • Celestion Ditton 11
  • Proac Tablette
  • KEF ls-50
Integrated amplifiers:
  • Audio Analogue Verdi 70
  • Exposure 2010
  • Unison Unico Primo
  • Aeron A160
Sources would be a Wiim Streamer and a vintage Lenco turntable.

My biggest question, other than pairing, would be if there's a lot of difference between modern speakers like the ls50 and the vintage ones.

Thank you in advance for your precious suggestions!

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Hello!
I'm looking to start my hi-fi journey and i'm desperately searching all over the forums for suggestions since months. I mainly listen to classical, jazz and indie music in a 20mq room with low wooden ceilings. My budget for speakers + integrated amplifier would be around 1500€ also considering used gear. I like a warm sound so i'm also considering vintage and hybrid amplifiers.

Speakers:
  • Celestion sl-6
  • B&W DM12
  • Celestion Ditton 11
  • Proac Tablette
  • KEF ls-50
Integrated amplifiers:
  • Exposure 2010
  • Unison Unico Primo
  • Aeron A160

My biggest question, other than pairing, would be if there's a lot of difference between modern speakers like the ls50 and the vintage ones.

the only thing that is better today are the speakers as it´s dificult to find someone to restore them old models to original specifications,

i would start with a cheaper but incredible SA-9500II from late 70´s and B&W is a great choice but try first the CDM1 or the Mission 761 or 763 from late 80´s, nothing else.

If there´s a letter associated to the references i wrotte or a diferent number they are not even half the quality to the two sets i refer to ,

it´s dificult to find them but sometimes a pair appears for sale and not that much expensive , i bought a second set of 761 for 60€ because it didn´t had the grills who normally i take them out

Jasonovich

Hello!

Speakers:
  • Celestion sl-6
  • B&W DM12
  • Celestion Ditton 11
  • Proac Tablette
  • KEF ls-50
Integrated amplifiers:
  • Exposure 2010
  • Unison Unico Primo
  • Aeron A160

Not sure about the Celestions, they use to be great back in day but all of the above you mentioned are good options, I almost purchased the Italian outfit Audio Analogue Verdi 70 but on excellent reviews, I opted for the Atoll IN100 (with DAC - the IN100 have beefy dual toroid power supply) and paired with the Dali Oberon 3 speakers, they sound amazing.
Apologies for being evangelical and yes, we tend to recommend our own kit and no doubt some people on this forum will do the same but please put the Atoll's and Dali's on your short list. Good luck :)

Reactions: Al ears

Fandango Andy

Hello!

Speakers:
  • Celestion sl-6
  • B&W DM12
  • Celestion Ditton 11
  • Proac Tablette
  • KEF ls-50
Integrated amplifiers:
  • Exposure 2010
  • Unison Unico Primo
  • Aeron A160

One of, if not the biggest factor in sound is the room, and loudspeaker positioning. It sounds like you are in an average (other than the low ceilings) size room. Your greatest limitation is the distance from speakernto wall. For this reason I would recommend Mission speakers from the early 2000s such as the 701's (stand mount) or 703 (floorstanding). You will struggle to find a more forgiving and easy to position loadspeaker. They sell for around £100 in the UK, not sure on price or availability.

Lots of options for vintage amp, or try the Marantz PM6007. About £400 in the UK, again no idea on price or availability in Europe.

Reactions: Rui

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts