Help me downgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

This is my first post at the whathifi-forum and I hope you all would help me downgrade my system :)

I have just sold most of my old system which consisted of Sonus Faber Cremona mkI speakers, Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp, Denon DVD-A11 cd/dvd-player and a Cambridge Audio DacMagic fed optically from an Airport Express from my computer running AIFF format.

I love this set up and really did hate selling up, but I cannot justify having this much tide up in it with so little use.

I have banked £3500 on the sale of the amp and speakers and would like to keep the new system at about £2500 for speakers and amp. If I get an amp with in-built streaming I could also sell the DacMagic and possibly the DVD-A11 netting my another £200 on top of the £2500.

I have been looking into the Naim Uniti family, especially the UnitiLite and UnitiQute. The only disadvantage to this is the ability to stream Spotify to my system from my Iphone/Ipad (future purchase) and possibly the limited power available from the unitiQute.

Another option is an integrated amp with difital in and use a Sonos hub to stream music and spotify, however this will be slightly more cumbersome touse as I will have to use the Iphone for music selection and the amps remote for volum.

Regarding speakers I can either use floor or stand mounted. If I use the stand mounted I can use an older Miller & Kreisel V1250 Subwoofer that I've got from a previous surround system.

I listen mainly to rock, pop and some electronica. Examples would be Tool, Robyn, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, green Day, Jamiroquai, Live, PJ Harvey.........

If I decided to go with Naim UnitiLite or Qute, which speakers would you recommend? Bear in mind that PMCs are hard to get hold of here in Norway. Would you do bookshelf and sub or larger floorstanders?

If I do decided on floorstanders would something like Tannoy DC6T be too large? What about Martin Logan Emotion 20s?

And it all needs to look good as well since this is to be used in my living room (4.5x6.5m), so no ugly boxes please :)

Any help appreciated :)

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Tool, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden (so happy to see them back!). Personally, I'd try out a Sonos Connect straight into a power amp- the Connect has a preamp on board, so then you can control the volume via the app (you can also control the volume even if going into an integrated amp or preamp, but why go through two pres?). I really like the combination of the Roksan Kandy K2 through Kef R series speakers, so pop those on your audition list!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
ADM9RSS speakers with matching sub. Add an AEX or ATV, job done. The only boxes on show would be the speakers.

I think the link might show the ealier version of the speakers, a new and improved edition is available.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
atticus said:
Overdose said:
ADM9RSS speakers with matching sub. Add an AEX or ATV, job done. The only boxes on show would be the speakers.

I would second this; ADM9RSS with the subwoofer and an ATV.

for music I have Sonos into the RSS (these are the AVI ADM 9RS with a Scanspeak tweeter, quite awesome), add a sub to round it off.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Since you liked your previous system, how about:

MF M3i + Sonus Faber Toy Tower as seen here - http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?google=7927

Other amps to consider:

Harman Kardon HK 990 (integrated Dac)

Peachtree iDecco (integrated Dac)

Peachtree Nova (+ Dac) 2/h here: http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/221117697833?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Electrocompaniet PI-1

Creek 5350 on offer here: http://www.lintone.co.uk/special-offers/creek-evolution-5350-integrated-amplifier-silver-2763-148-3769.php

Sugden Mystro

Other speakers to consider:

Epos Epic 5 on offer here - http://www.analogueseduction.net/epos-speakers/epic5ex.html

Epos Elan 30 - http://www.analogueseduction.net/epos-speakers/EPOSE30S.html

Kef R500

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
If you don't get much use of the system (why?) and want to bank some cash, you can do a lot worse than the new iPod touch and a good pair of IEM like the ultimate ears triple-fi 10. I've read varying reports of the iphone 5 sq, but the new iPod sounds better than its predecessor, which I also own along with a reasonable hifi comparable to what you're considering.

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I think the Naim UnitiLite is an excellent option. It will have enough power for your room and also provides plenty of connectivity for your future components. As for speakers, I guess Dynaudio would be a good solution and I believe in Norway they will be more common. My first suggestion would be Dynaudio X32, but you can also look into their Focus range. The Tannoys you noted are also very good speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thansk all for your suggestions.

I did some searching yesterday and found a few options;

Used NAC112/NAP150 combo for a few £.

Looked at the Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T and KEF R500, also looked at the new Toy Towers from Sonus Faber.

I used to have the Grand Piano Homes before the Cremonas so might see if I can get hold of a pair as they sounded good and looked even better in my opinion.

I've also looked for AVI Labs 21 integrated amp, but I am afraid the active speakers aren't my cup of tea. And I would have to buy them blind.

I might get the prepower combo to try on the cremonas before they are collected just to see if the combo will work tonally.

Would a UnitiLite/NAP150 be powerfull enough to drive a pair of the newer GrandPiano Domus'?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts