help for a new headphone

Alexandre

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I read a lot of your reviews on several headphones as I am looking to buy one and I wanted to ask for your opinion. I have to say, the more I read and the harder it is to choose!

I will use this headphone with my ipod and on my computer for music mainly without any amp (movies as well but I prefer to focus on the music part). I will use it in the bus, train, and plane most of the time and at home the rest of the time.
I listen to many kinds of music such as pop/rock, folk, soul, jazz, classic, R&B, ... So I need this headphone to do well with all kinds of music.

Finally, most of my music is in AAC on my ipod because I lack space. The 160go is already reaching its max capacity so I cannot use loseless format except on my computer. I guess it would make sense to go for two headphone - one for transports with the ipod and the other to use with my computer. For the time being, let's concentrate on the ipod one!

Based on your reviews and what I could gather here and there, I had the following list in mind:

- V-Moda Crossfall M100 (too bassy may be?)
- Sennheiser Momentum (any difference in quality between the on ear and the other?)
- BeyerDynamics Custom Pro One
- Sony MDR 1R
- B&W P5 (P7? or it requires an amp to fully deliver its qualities?)
- Focal Spirit One

I was able to try them all out except the V-Moda which is impossible to get my hands on in Switzerland...

In terms of confort, I did not like the Focal, so I already wanted to drop it from the list.

What would be your favourite pick among this list for my usage? I am also open to any suggestion if you think there is another headphone more appropriate.

Wish you a good day.

Best regards,

Alex

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Alex
smiley-smile.gif

I found the M-100's way to heavy in the upper bass, but their bass is pretty deep too (not just higher up). So unless you like crazy bass or you're happy with heavy EQ adjustments I would recommend dropping that from your list. It's a shame because I love the look and build of the M100 and I love the sound / balance of the M80 :(. Is the M80 too small for your liking?

I did like the Momentum a lot better, but I eventually got kind of bored with the sound. Bass is deep but a bit boring and treble is there but a bit messy. Also they are called over-ear, but like the M100 they're not huge (good for outdoor use to be honest) so parts of them touch my ears which eventually gets annoying. About 90% of this annoyance is because I wear glasses though, so if you don't it might not ever bother you.

Are things like the B&O H6 and B&W P7 out of your price range? They are both really good, but quite different (flat and warm respectively).

I would also recommend the Sennheiser Amperior (or the orginial HD25-1 II). I found the sound more compelling than the Momentum (bass has a high hump, but it just feels more interesting everywhere else). Also because I wear glasses I find these on-ears actually more comfortable because I can rest the arms of my glasses on top of the ear pads.

I've heard people say good things about the Beyerdynamic DT1350, but I haven't tried that one. I like the RZA Chambers, because for the price it was here recently (£50) it has a very interesting sound (a bit warm and bassy, but the upper ranges much improve with the ANC on).

That's all I can think of for now, hope that helps :)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'm not sure you need two pairs. Just go for a good pair and use it for iPod and at home. Sure, the iPod won't sound quite as good as you will get from lossless...but hey, that's how it is.

Have a look at the Audio-Technica A900x, the Beyerdynamic T70.

Or even a noise cancelling like the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9. 3 different NC modes for when you are out, or you can switch it off when you are in.

Alexandre

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

Many thanks for your help on this.

Just like you Quadpatch I wear glasses and prefer over-hear headphone for comfort. I tried some on-ear and after a while it becomes too uncomfortable.

I recently listened to the B&O H6 and B&W P7 and I think they are the new and last ones on my list nowadays. :) I just love the sound, design, and comfort although they are very different.

I just want to give a try to the V-Moda first, just to be sure, but I suspect you are very right in your critics. If I can, I will try 100 and 80.

In case I can find the BeyerDynamics I will also give them a try but hard to find where I live.

JoelSim: I am not a big fan of NC to be honest but I will try the ones you mention. I also came to the conclusion that it is best to have a good headphone which will sound not as good with the ipod but like you said it's life :grin: That is also why I step up my budget with the B&O and B&W. I was afraid at first because I heard that they were very demanding on the source but they sound pretty good even with an ipod.

Thanks a lot for your input guys. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

TRENDING THREADS