Help! Distortion after a service

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I have just got my Systemdek back after a routine service (check bearing/oil, tracking, etc etc) - something I've been wanting to do for ages as it was an ebay purchase a couple of years ago, and tbh I didn't really have a clue whether it was in good shape or not (although it has always sounded pretty good to me).

Plugged it in, tweaked the platter level as it was a bit out (odd?), and sat down to listen. And it sounded brilliant! Not a night and day improvement, but a noticeable improvement all the same.

Then about half way through the 3rd record I had on, distortion suddenly kicked in, the volume dropped to about half (and subsequently fluctuates), and it sounded absolutely terrible (both channels equally affected). My immediate thought was a bit of dust or gunk on the stylus - inspected it and it didn't look too bad but gave it a brush... went to play again and some improvement but still sounding pretty awful. Still convinced that there was something on the stylus, I checked again, brushed gently again - this time big improvement.

But within a minute the distortion returned. And so the pattern seems to continue - sounds fine to start with, but within minutes the distortion returns.

I'll give the dealer that did the service a call in the morning, but anyone got any ideas on what it may be - don't want to take it back only to find it's something simple!

cheers

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Cheers John - I've done a very quick and basic check of the wiring but nothing blindingly obvious. I will do a thorough check - that would certainly make some sense. The arm is a second-hand RB300 (FWIW, came complete with internal and external re-wire at time of purchase).

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Cheers John - I've done a very quick and basic check of the wiring but nothing blindingly obvious. I will do a thorough check - that would certainly make some sense. The arm is a second-hand RB300 (FWIW, came complete with internal and external re-wire at time of purchase).

John Duncan

Agreed. I wouldn't be afraid to turn it off altogether, tbh. Also note that I found that a rega arm needed one of their spacers (can't remember which one, probably the middle one of their set of three) on the Systemdek...

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Cheers guys... I will check the settings when I can (new baby in the house, so unlikely to get the chance tonight!)

That said, part of the service was checking all such settings and adjusting as necessary, so I will be a bit miffed if they need any attention. Part of the point of the service was to ensure the TT was optimally set up - and indeed I was told that some minor adjustment was made to the arm in this regard.

What seems odd is that everything was just great until half-way through the 3rd or 4th album I played after getting it back from the service.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Checked the SQ again this morning - still sounded terrible. I had a sudden compulsion to take a closer inspection of the stylus, so popped it off (an Ortofon Blue, so easy to do). Looked fine from what my failing eyesight could see, popped it back on the cart, tried again, and viola! everything is fine again!

What's that all about!? Any ideas? Not that it matters too much if it doesn't return, just curious.

cheers

A

Anonymous

Hi margetti,

I have a Systemdek IIX which is in need of a service. Can you let me know where you got it yours done and roughly how long it took?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
TBPie said:
Hi margetti,

I have a Systemdek IIX which is in need of a service. Can you let me know where you got it yours done and roughly how long it took?

Hi there, well I would be reluctant to recommend the store I had my service as I am not particularly happy with the job they did - a partially collapsed suspension was identified but not fully rectified. (I have since fixed it myself). That said, the rest of the service has improved things very nicely, and it's good peace of mind to be assured the motor and bearing are in good shape.

Where do you live - other members will hopefully be able to offer recommendations based on your location. I have heard good things about Audio-T, but I think it depends on which store and whether they have the staff/facilities to offer such a service.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Oh, it was ready to collect 5 hours after dropping it off, but that was down to a cancellation - was initially told it would be ready in about a week depending on workloads.

A

Anonymous

margetti said:
TBPie said:
Hi margetti,

Hi there, well I would be reluctant to recommend the store I had my service as I am not particularly happy with the job they did - a partially collapsed suspension was identified but not fully rectified. (I have since fixed it myself). That said, the rest of the service has improved things very nicely, and it's good peace of mind to be assured the motor and bearing are in good shape.

Where do you live - other members will hopefully be able to offer recommendations based on your location. I have heard good things about Audio-T, but I think it depends on which store and whether they have the staff/facilities to offer such a service.

I can understand your reluctance if you were not entirely happy with the service. I live in Harlow, Essex but also work in Central London, so hopefully someone can recommend in this area.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Ahh, I'm on the SW London/Surrey border, so a bit of a trek for you anyway... I have shopped at both Bartlett's Hi-Fi (Holloway Road) and Graham's Hi-Fi (New North Road) for low cost items such as interconects and the like, and found them both to be very friendly and helpful. Graham's is worth a visit if only to see a pair of B&W Nautilus in the flesh - they have some really serious kit in there! (There's me, handing over my £40 for a Knosti disco antistat kit whilst sat next to a pair of £55k speakers :O)

One thing I would recommend is to make sure you get hold of some transit screws if you don't already have them - I was told that I could get away without them, which in light of the suspension problems I experienced was not good advice at all!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts