Question Help deciding where to go next

Oct 16, 2024
Visit site
Hi all,

first time poster, long time reader.

I am suffering from analysis paralysis and would be grateful for your advice.

So I am by no means a audiophile but I want to experience better audio.

Currently, I play spotify (using my phone or Spotify Connect) through either my Sony WH-1000XM4 or my Amazon Echo Studio.

I am looking to go to the next level and since being able to listen to music on the move is a requirement, I am contemplating a DAP with some nice headphones.

The 2 DAPs that have caught my eye are the Sony NW-A306 and the Astell Kern S35. Headphone wise I was looking at the Grado SR325x.

Sony pros - great reviews, will probably work well with the existing BT headphones
Sony cons - its an android 12 system ans 15 just came out so converned about that. Its performance in the UI already lagging.

Astell Kern pros - amazing reviews, multiple year award winner, can double as source for a home music system later(right?)
Astell Kern cons - a big jump financially

I listen to mostly EDM (Underworld, 80s synth) and female dance music like Dua Lipa, Taylor Swift, Lizzo plus classic Pink Floyd.

I also listen to BBC Sounds quite a bit (Sounds of the 80s, Kitchen Disco, Michelle Visage, etc).

I would be prepared to subscribe to Tidal as I hear the sound quality is miles ahead of Spotify and would be a better choice if I upgrade.

Thoughts?

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Can't help you much with your kit but there is a guy on here regular very knowledgeable on such things I'm sure will chime in.

What I can say is the difference in audio from Spotify to tidal etc is night and day.

Spotify at its lossy compressed MP3 quality music will only nullify any upgrades you make.
Upgrading your source/stream quality will make an instant improvement with your current gear to begin with but will definitely be needed to capitalise and extract the better sound any newer hifi has to offer.

daveh75

I would be prepared to subscribe to Tidal as I hear the sound quality is miles ahead of Spotify and would be a better choice if I upgrade.

You can easily test for yourself whether hi-res streaming is worth it or not.

I'm with Vincent on why a DAP?

You have a perfectly good source in your phone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts