Help deciding between three streaming solutions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

grifter182

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Okay, thank you for all your suggestions and help. A lot on info to take in.

I think I'm going to go with the MiniBlink Bluetooth DAC.

Seems simple, easy to install, and inexpensive.

Few questions though:

Does my Macbook and iPhone support APTX. If not (as it seems) can it with a download of some kind?

Does the MiniBlink use my amp?

Since the MiniBlink has its own DAC, does my iPhone's DAC need to be turned off somehow?

Any idea how the MiniBlink sounds compared with the Sonos Connect?

Thanks guys!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
grifter182 said:
Okay, thank you for all your suggestions and help. A lot on info to take in.

I think I'm going to go with the MiniBlink Bluetooth DAC.

Seems simple, easy to install, and inexpensive.

Few questions though:

Does my Macbook and iPhone support APTX. If not (as it seems) can it with a download of some kind?

Does the MiniBlink use my amp?

Since the MiniBlink has its own DAC, does my iPhone's DAC need to be turned off somehow?

Any idea how the MiniBlink sounds compared with the Sonos Connect?

Thanks guys!

Apple devices do not implement AptX or any of the better Bluetooth standards, the undoubted quality of the Miniblink may not be fully exploited.

Opinions on the quality of Bluetooth from Apple devices vary, but personally I find Airplay superior in all respects.

The Neet Airstream is an inexpensive Airplay compatible alternative which can be used as is or upgraded with an external dac, the Neet Airstream + Neet Dac costs around £50.

When streaming via Airplay or Bluetooth the onboard dac in the mobile device is not used, so irrelevant. It does not need to be manually switched off.

grifter182

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Okay!

I now think I'm down to my final decision... for today at least.

An Apple Airport Express. Then perhaps upgrade to a DAC later on.

Feels like a simple option.

Would love to be able to hear just how much difference a good DAC can make to Spotify, and if I'd even notice it.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
grifter182 said:
Okay!

I now think I'm down to my final decision... for today at least.

An Apple Airport Express. Then perhaps upgrade to a DAC later on.

Feels like a simple option.

Would love to be able to hear just how much difference a good DAC can make to Spotify, and if I'd even notice it.

The modern AEX works very well, particularly in an Apple environment. The onboard dac is absolutely fine though of course an external one may be a little better but can most certainly improve functionality if that is important.

One thing to be aware of is that the AEX analogue output is a little lower than the 2 volts or so that is common to nearly all dacs, absolutely no problem in normal use but adding an outboard dac will be louder, most people percieve that as an improvement. (Louder sounds better)

Hence the generally held opinion that the dac in the AEX is not so good, actually it is fine and indistinquishable from many more expensive dacs in level matched tests.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree I tried an IrDac on the end of the Sonos with no improvement in sound it wasn't till I trired a SM6 and the the CXN with there upsampling tech and good analouge output stage that I got an improvment in sound.

LordHill

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I have used various combinations of hardware (Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Sonos, Naim SuperUniti, Argon Stream 2, PC lap Top, Chord Hugo TT) to get the best SQ and useability from streaming Spotify to a HiFi whilst using an iPhone to control and so hopefully my findings below will be helpful.

To get the best SQ from Spotify you need to use a device with Spotify Connect functionaltiy and send the digital siginal from that piece of hardware into a high quality DAC (if it doesn't already have one).

I have previously used Apple TV as my streaming device using Airplay and the digital out to an external DAC. This is the most pratcial fix for you if you want to stream both Spotify and Apple Itunes from your iPhone. The SQ for Spotify via Airplay is OK but using a device with Spotify Connect does make a noticeable difference in detail and clarity.

I part exchanged a SuperUnti (which also has Spotify Connect) to buy a Chord Hugo TT and bought an Amazon Fire TV (which has Spotify Connect) to use as the streamer into the Hugo. It was by far the best SQ from Spotify I have heard however I found that you really needed the AFTV to be permanently hooked up to a TV/monitor to be able to get it to talk to your iPhone (it would disconnect periodically). I don't have aTV near my Hi-Fi so this was an issue. Also, AFTV does not allow you to remotely control the volume of Spotify Connect from an iPhone when using the digital toslink out, so you would need to have a remote control for the volume on your amp. This issue combined with the TV element meant i sent the AFTV back and instead bought an Argon Stream 2 which is a fairly cheap (£120) streaming device with Spotify Connect and DLNA. So far it has worked well with Spotify Connect and allows volume control from the iPhone. The Hugo TT is a fabulous DAC and, even when combined with the cheap Argon Stream 2, provides SQ which is streets ahead of the Naim SuperUniti/Spotify connect option.

The Argon deos produce a slight "tick" noise when selecting different tracks from the iPhone which may be down to the fact that it came from Germany with a two pin European plug and i have added a converter. It's not a deal breaker for me at this price.

When it comes to discovering new music, no other service comes close to Spotify and so I would say that a Spotify Connect enabled sreaming device is the best way to go.

Thanks for that useful info.I was wondering if an upgraded dac would make much of a difference for streaming Spotify(as it's only 320 kbs) . I'm using the amazon ftv with a arcam ir dac at the moment and it has become my most used source and wasn't quite sure if a better dac would improve the Sq any.

grifter182

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks so much, the Argon Stream 2 looks like what I'm after.

A simple and inexpensive way to enjoy Spotify with my current HiFi.

However, does it need a DAC? Without a seperate DAC, does it sound as good as Spotify streaming on a Airport Express?

Thank you.

LordHill

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
grifter182 said:
Thanks so much, the Argon Stream 2 looks like what I'm after.

A simple and inexpensive way to enjoy Spotify with my current HiFi.

However, does it need a DAC? Without a seperate DAC, does it sound as good as Spotify streaming on a Airport Express?

Thank you.

The Argon does have a DAC and RCA outputs however I cannot comment on the quality as the Hugo is now my pre amp and it doesn't have any analogue inputs! I wouldn't have too high expectations but you can always buy an external DAC later.

For streaming Spotify, The Argon with an external DAC will be better than AppleTV/Express with the same DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts