Question help choosing speaker and reciver

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Wet Cat

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
@Al ears @rainsoothe hey, I need some quick advice, I found some b&w 606 used(bought half a year ago, still 4.5 years of warranty) for 750$ instead of the 1150$ that they cost here in Israel new.
I talked with him and will go to hear them tomorrow and might buy them, what do you think about them? read a lot of good reviews about them.
will they sound good in my medium room? are they good for rock/funk/blues and jazz?
ty!

In my opinion they are good speakers but best if you can listen yourself in a room of similar size, although they should be adequate.
Budget for some decent stands though

Be careful of warranties, although hopefully you will not need any, as some are not transferable and only apply to whoever registers the product first.

Most speaker are good for any genre. It is a myth that some are designed for a particular type of music although, by the very nature of their design, some small speakers may not be physically able to produce adequate bass for some types of music.

Hope this helps and has reached you in time

rainsoothe

I'm planning on getting the b&w ones(B&W STAV24 S2 Speaker Stands)
are they good or should I get different ones?

thanks for the tip! will check it out
They are the dedicated stands I think, so they will be a good match. If they are too expensive, the Atacama Nexus 6i are very good too and might come cheaper (if you get these, you'll need to fill the center column with sand - one half or two thirds). As for the B&W 606, they're great, but some might find them a bit forward. In any case, you'll get a very good idea when you listen to them. Again, if you're not looking for a relaxing listen, they are very good (probably the best at their budget).

For the record, the Brio would be a bare minimum for these, as B&W do like power. And in all likelihood, they would be a great match.

Wet Cat

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
They are the dedicated stands I think, so they will be a good match. If they are too expensive, the Atacama Nexus 6i are very good too and might come cheaper (if you get these, you'll need to fill the center column with sand - one half or two thirds). As for the B&W 606, they're great, but some might find them a bit forward. In any case, you'll get a very good idea when you listen to them. Again, if you're not looking for a relaxing listen, they are very good (probably the best at their budget).

For the record, the Brio would be a bare minimum for these, as B&W do like power. And in all likelihood, they would be a great match.
I'll check the stands out.
I saw some reviews said they are a bit too bright, if I do get them is there a way to make up for that with the amp / phono preamp or I shouldn't expect much change in that area of sound?

What do you mean by relaxing listen? Like warm soft listen?

I see, so I could save up some more money and get the brio later on

Also someone offered me focal 906 for 1000$ instead of new in store 1800$(locally) and said they are much better than the b&w 606 and I should add the extra money for them, what do you think?

Last edited:

Wet Cat

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
@Al ears @rainsoothe I've decided to up my budget and to go to listen to the focal 906, the guy offered me them and the stand mounts at half price and said they been used about half a year, also offered me an yahmaha r-s700 reciver at 430 usd instead of 730 usd new from local stores, said he is basically new and he had 2 of them and this one didn't use at all.

What are your thoughts about this combination? A good reciver to match the speaker?
Any tips on what to check out when I listen to them or check their condition and stuff?
Thanks! All of your help is really appreciated.

rainsoothe

Audition both of them, and let your ears decide. I have a soft spot for the Aria 906, as I used to own them - they are open sounding, but smooth, easy to drive and to positioning and pretty unfussy about partnering equipment.

As for Yamaha, I'm not a fan of their amplifiers, let alone any reciever - those would be a waste on the Focals imo. Again, I'd demo a Brio or a Vena 2 at a minimum or, if you can find one on the sh market to fit your budget, a Naim Unitiqute 2. A used Roksan Kandy K2 or Arcam FMJ A19 or A29 would also make good partners.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts