Question help choosing speaker and reciver

Wet Cat

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
Hey, so first of all what I have is project carbon deubt dc on springs and cutting bord upgrde, running tro art dj pre II into active edifer r1280t
planning on upgrading the 2m red to blue once the red one wears out
I want to buy good speakers and reciver soon(in the next month or up untill BF) I can put around 1000-1200 usd for both but I live in Israel and not the us/europe so amazon and other stores are an option but a pricey one(usually shipping now for speakers around 100 usd + around 80 usd 17% import tax) so it's sometimes even not a big diffrence of buying locally and I do prefer it because of less waiting time and easier warranty use if needed.
I also not really sure what kind of bass size in speaker I need, https://prnt.sc/uby0zf
thats a drawing of my room, not sure if I need 5.25" or 6" bass drivers to start with...
I heared the elac b6.2 is very good and I can get it locally for 500 usd and have extra for a rs202BL for around 450 usd, not sure if it is a good buy or should I even wait for BF to see what discounts will be locally or in amazon?
ty and if anyone have a tips I would love to hear them :)

Gray

Good first tip would be not to be too concerned about the size of the mid / bass drivers when making your speaker choice. Depending on design / room location a bigger driver wouldn't necessarily sound more bassy or louder.
Closeness to walls / corners will have a greater effect than a 0.75" difference in cone size. And that's why ideally speakers should be tried in your room before you commit to them (may not be easy for you though).

Does it have to be a receiver and not purely a 2 channel amp?

WTF is BF? :unsure:

Reactions: Wet Cat

Wet Cat

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
Good first tip would be not to be too concerned about the size of the mid / bass drivers when making your speaker choice. Depending on design / room location a bigger driver wouldn't necessarily sound more bassy or louder.
Closeness to walls / corners will have a greater effect than a 0.75" difference in cone size. And that's why ideally speakers should be tried in your room before you commit to them (may not be easy for you though).

Does it have to be a receiver and not purely a 2 channel amp?

WTF is BF? :unsure:
If I buy them locally I could in fact check them in the room and return them if they sound off, but if I order from amazon or something it will be much more diffuclt for me(altough possible)

well I don't know, thats just what I was recommended on r/vinyl I basically need it to connect the pre amp to speakers and have bluetooth/aux cable
would you recommend getting an amp and getting better preamp instead of reciver?

and like he said BF is black friday for lazy people

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 188516

Now, in the UK, little more than a facility for Amazon to shift all the Chinese crap nobody wants, rather than send it to landfill.

economy knackered...
coronavirus the reason...
whos going to pay ???

rainsoothe

I think you can get a Rega Io and a pair of Triangle BR03 or the Elac you mentioned with that budget, but you won't have bluetooth - you could, however, find a Google Chromecast Audio and stream from that (they can still be found even if they were discontinued). A good alternative to the Rega Io is the Iotavx SA3, which has better functionality (DAC with optical and coaxial inputs, and an optional bluetooth dongle that's pretty cheap). Both amps have integrated phonostages that are decent, but the one in the Rega is most likely better and good enough to replace your art dj (but you can decide on that yourself).

Of course, if you can fit a Rega Brio or a Quad Vena 2 in your budget, that's where you should look.

I think you can get a Rega Io and a pair of Triangle BR03 or the Elac you mentioned with that budget, but you won't have bluetooth - you could, however, find a Google Chromecast Audio and stream from that (they can still be found even if they were discontinued). A good alternative to the Rega Io is the Iotavx SA3, which has better functionality (DAC with optical and coaxial inputs, and an optional bluetooth dongle that's pretty cheap). Both amps have integrated phonostages that are decent, but the one in the Rega is most likely better and good enough to replace your art dj (but you can decide on that yourself).

Of course, if you can fit a Rega Brio or a Quad Vena 2 in your budget, that's where you should look.
Having read OPs question again I am not sure that is what he is speaking about.
I thought he was on about active speakers and some sort of 'receiver' between his existing preamp and those speakers.
Could be wrong but I am not sure he means amp with radio built in when he says receiver.

rainsoothe

Having read OPs question again I am not sure that is what he is speaking about.
I thought he was on about active speakers and some sort of 'receiver' between his existing preamp and those speakers.
Could be wrong but I am not sure he means amp with radio built in when he says receiver.
From what I understand he has actives for now, but would like to upgrade to whatever. He said reciever 'cause that's what he was recommend for bluetooth capability, but if that's the only reason, I say get a stereo amp instead :)

Wet Cat

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site

I have aux to rca so I don't really need bluetooth so thats okay.
would you go for the Rega io or the lotavx? I mean I can upgrade the preamp in the future so is the better DAC worth it?

also I could not fit the brio or vena 2 in budget right now, but if the difference is worth it I can save up for few more months and get those, would you say it worth it?(also maybe there will be black friday sales on them and they could be cheaper?)

btw, are the io and SA3 have enough power for the elac's? I've seen elac's need about 100W per channel while the io and sa3 provide much much less than that, should it be taking into consideration or it's not a big deal as I'm not planning on running the speakers on full vol anyway(prob around 80db of loudness that Im looking for)

ty for the answer.

I would agree.
yes he got it correctly, have active but want to upgrade to passive one's and not sure what should I get as reciver/power amp
I do not really need the bluetooth as I have an aux to rca cables that I could use, so I should really opt for power amp?
what good models there are beside the rega io in the 400 usd budget?
the brio and vena 2 are over my budget(although if the upgrade from the io is really worth it I can save up few months and get it instead)

Last edited:
I have aux to rca so I don't really need bluetooth so thats okay.
would you go for the Rega io or the lotavx? I mean I can upgrade the preamp in the future so is the better DAC worth it?

also I could not fit the brio or vena 2 in budget right now, but if the difference is worth it I can save up for few more months and get those, would you say it worth it?(also maybe there will be black friday sales on them and they could be cheaper?)

btw, are the io and SA3 have enough power for the elac's? I've seen elac's need about 100W per channel while the io and sa3 provide much much less than that, should it be taking into consideration or it's not a big deal as I'm not planning on running the speakers on full vol anyway(prob around 80db of loudness that Im looking for)

ty for the answer.

yes he got it correctly, have active but want to upgrade to passive one's and not sure what should I get as reciver/power amp
I do not really need the bluetooth as I have an aux to rca cables that I could use, so I should really opt for power amp?
what good models there are beside the rega io in the 400 usd budget?
the brio and vena 2 are over my budget(although if the upgrade from the io is really worth it I can save up few months and get it instead)
It's confusing because of the terminology you use. The Art Dj is a phono preamp so you'll need an integrated amplifier not a power amplifier.
Also the Elacs are not inefficient so I don't see why you would need 100wpc

Wet Cat

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
It's confusing because of the terminology you use. The Art Dj is a phono preamp so you'll need an integrated amplifier not a power amplifier.
Also the Elacs are not inefficient so I don't see why you would need 100wpc
Ah I see, I thought it should run like preamp -> power amp -> speakers
what am I missing in the difference between them?
so 30 or 50 wpc will be good for the elac's? I'm kinda new to passive speakers so I didn't know if it said it takes up to 120wpc you dont really should supply that much

so 30 or 50 wpc will be good for the elac's? I'm kinda new to passive speakers so I didn't know if it said it takes up to 120wpc you dont really should supply that much
You don't have a preamp you have a phono preamp, there is a difference.
You cannot connect your Art dj directly to a stereo power amp as you would not have a volume control.
You should look at some like the Yamaha RN303D and keep your Art Dj to connect to it.

rainsoothe

Preamp-poweramp-speakers is right, but the Art DJ is a phono pre-amp, not a line pre-amp, so if you wanted to use it, you would plug that into a "line in" input of a preamp or an integrated (integrated amplifiers are pre-amp + power amp in one box).

And yes, 30-50 wpc are enough, the 120wpc rating is there as an indication of the maximum continuous wattage the speaker can take.

Wet Cat

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
You don't have a preamp you have a phono preamp, there is a difference.
You cannot connect your Art dj directly to a stereo power amp as you would not have a volume control.
You should look at some like the Yamaha RN303D and keep your Art Dj to connect to it.
oh now I got it, do you think the Yamaha is better than Rega io?

Preamp-poweramp-speakers is right, but the Art DJ is a phono pre-amp, not a line pre-amp, so if you wanted to use it, you would plug that into a "line in" input of a preamp or an integrated (integrated amplifiers are pre-amp + power amp in one box).

And yes, 30-50 wpc are enough, the 120wpc rating is there as an indication of the maximum continuous wattage the speaker can take.
ty for the explanation, so any way I keep my phono pre amp and this goes to preamp of and integrated amp and it goes to the passive speakers, right?

so getting the Rega io is gonna be good for the Elac's 2.0 b6.2?
is the money difference between it and the Rega brio worth it and I should save up for that?

Simply to clarify the connection you require:-
Phono Peamp (your Art dj) connects to the inputs labelled Aux on whichever integrated amp you choose and the speakers also connect to the integrated amp.
There is no separate preamp as this is built into the integrated amp ( that's why it's called integrated)
Hope this helps.
Also if you are keeping your Art dj you don't need an amplifier that has a built-in phono preamp like the Io does which is why I suggested the more powerful, and cheaper, Yamaha RN303D
The Yamaha is actually a receiver so has useful stuff like radio, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and DNLA..
It also has 100wpc.......

rainsoothe

oh now I got it, do you think the Yamaha is better than Rega io?

ty for the explanation, so any way I keep my phono pre amp and this goes to preamp of and integrated amp and it goes to the passive speakers, right?

so getting the Rega io is gonna be good for the Elac's 2.0 b6.2?
is the money difference between it and the Rega brio worth it and I should save up for that?
Yes, the Io will be good for the Elac, but everything is a matter of personal preference. For instance, I'm not a fan of Yamaha amplifiers, like the one @Al ears suggested, but many people like them, and that reciever has a lot of functionality built in. The Rega Io is only an amplifier with a phonostage built in, that's it - no bluetooth, no network connectivity, no FM radio, nothing, but it's most likely a better amplifier. But again (and this is VERY important) it doesnt matter which one I like more, it's what YOU prefer - so if you could audition, you should try to do so.

The Brio is better than the Io, of course, but in the context of your budget, it might not be worth it, especially since you won't be able to budget for a DAC to run from your computer (I assume that's what your digital source is) - and any decent budget amplifier + those Elacs will be better than the Edifiers (I'm not a hater, but my brother has them and they're only decent on a very low budget).

This is how I'd approach it:

IF your digital source is a computer, I would stretch for a Quad Vena 2 because it's DAC has a USB input, and basically you're getting a good amplifier, good phonostage and good DAC all rolled into one. IF your PC has an optical output (or you're using a bluray player or whatever with optical out) you could get away with the Iotavx SA3, which has the advantage of upgradeability at a later date with the PA3, which is a power amplifier - and the way they work is that the SA3 will power one speaker, and the PA3 will power the other. If you want to go for the Rega Io, you could buy a SMSL or a Topping DAC for your PC at a later date.

Anyway, this is how I would go about it, but you might like how Yamaha amps sound, if so, they offer a lot for the money.

Wet Cat

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
Simply to clarify the connection you require:-
Phono Peamp (your Art dj) connects to the inputs labelled Aux on whichever integrated amp you choose and the speakers also connect to the integrated amp.
There is no separate preamp as this is built into the integrated amp ( that's why it's called integrated)
Hope this helps.
Also if you are keeping your Art dj you don't need an amplifier that has a built-in phono preamp like the Io does which is why I suggested the more powerful, and cheaper, Yamaha RN303D
The Yamaha is actually a receiver so has useful stuff like radio, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and DNLA..
It also has 100wpc.......
I see, but if like the other user said the io phono is better than mine isn't it worth to upgrade it?
Yes, the Io will be good for the Elac, but everything is a matter of personal preference. For instance, I'm not a fan of Yamaha amplifiers, like the one @Al ears suggested, but many people like them, and that reciever has a lot of functionality built in. The Rega Io is only an amplifier with a phonostage built in, that's it - no bluetooth, no network connectivity, no FM radio, nothing, but it's most likely a better amplifier. But again (and this is VERY important) it doesnt matter which one I like more, it's what YOU prefer - so if you could audition, you should try to do so.

The Brio is better than the Io, of course, but in the context of your budget, it might not be worth it, especially since you won't be able to budget for a DAC to run from your computer (I assume that's what your digital source is) - and any decent budget amplifier + those Elacs will be better than the Edifiers (I'm not a hater, but my brother has them and they're only decent on a very low budget).

This is how I'd approach it:

IF your digital source is a computer, I would stretch for a Quad Vena 2 because it's DAC has a USB input, and basically you're getting a good amplifier, good phonostage and good DAC all rolled into one. IF your PC has an optical output (or you're using a bluray player or whatever with optical out) you could get away with the Iotavx SA3, which has the advantage of upgradeability at a later date with the PA3, which is a power amplifier - and the way they work is that the SA3 will power one speaker, and the PA3 will power the other. If you want to go for the Rega Io, you could buy a SMSL or a Topping DAC for your PC at a later date.

Anyway, this is how I would go about it, but you might like how Yamaha amps sound, if so, they offer a lot for the money.
I'm not gonna use pc, just vinyl and some wav files from my phone(which Im ok with using aux to rca like I use now straight in to the edifer's)
what would you do in that case?

also I'll try to find a local store that has them that I can listen but I doubt that I'll find one and will prob just will order off amazon/ebay/other online store

Wet Cat

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
If the tt is your main source, get any of the regas. Don't think the io would be a major compromise, because it isn't. But if you can, try to audition the Triangles as well.
Got it, what do you say about second hand brio instead of new io?
Those things are reliable? No warranty isn't a big deal?
Ty

rainsoothe

Got it, what do you say about second hand brio instead of new io?
Those things are reliable? No warranty isn't a big deal?
Ty
Well Rega aren't exactly known for stellar quality control, but I have yet to read a report of a broken Brio. Also, the Brio is better than the Io in every way, it's a very capable amplifier with a nice small form factor, and usually products that fail to work, do so after the warranty ends anyway :D

So yes, if you can find one somewhere where it's safe to buy, defo go for the Brio. Just make sure, if you want to test your ArtDJ vs the integrated phono pre, do NOT plug the ArtDJ into the "phono" input of the amp - that one is for plugging a TT directly into the phono pre of the amplifier. So either TT into the "phono" input, or the Art DJ into any of the line inputs. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

By the way, for the speakers, also factor in the price of stands, as they matter a lot when it comes to the sound of your system - placing your speakers on a shelf gimps them quite a lot.

If you plan to audition speakers, other ones to consider are Dali Spektor 2, Mission QX2, Q Acoustics 3030i and of course B&W 607 or 606 (which can be found at heavy discounts from time to time) - just know that matching the speakers to your room is very important, so if you can audition at home, it would be ideal.

Wet Cat

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
Well Rega aren't exactly known for stellar quality control, but I have yet to read a report of a broken Brio. Also, the Brio is better than the Io in every way, it's a very capable amplifier with a nice small form factor, and usually products that fail to work, do so after the warranty ends anyway :D

So yes, if you can find one somewhere where it's safe to buy, defo go for the Brio. Just make sure, if you want to test your ArtDJ vs the integrated phono pre, do NOT plug the ArtDJ into the "phono" input of the amp - that one is for plugging a TT directly into the phono pre of the amplifier. So either TT into the "phono" input, or the Art DJ into any of the line inputs. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

By the way, for the speakers, also factor in the price of stands, as they matter a lot when it comes to the sound of your system - placing your speakers on a shelf gimps them quite a lot.

If you plan to audition speakers, other ones to consider are Dali Spektor 2, Mission QX2, Q Acoustics 3030i and of course B&W 607 or 606 (which can be found at heavy discounts from time to time) - just know that matching the speakers to your room is very important, so if you can audition at home, it would be ideal.
Got it, will search for some 2nd hand.
Yea I plan on getting stands for them later, still need to see where I'll place them in the room
Ty, will check them out, got recommended also the wharfedale 225/220, what do you think about them?

rainsoothe

Got it, will search for some 2nd hand.
Yea I plan on getting stands for them later, still need to see where I'll place them in the room
Ty, will check them out, got recommended also the wharfedale 225/220, what do you think about them?
They're good, the 220 lack bass, the 225 don't have this issue. But again, if you get your hands on an amp, audition and let your ears decide.

Wet Cat

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
They're good, the 220 lack bass, the 225 don't have this issue. But again, if you get your hands on an amp, audition and let your ears decide.
Hey, I did a list of price difference of my local stores(in Israel) and the price that whathifi tested at them and would love to get your thoughts on what should I get(yea I know its crazy markup, a high vat tax + customs taxes)
Dali Spektor 2- tested at 260$ and locally are 420(161% more)
Elac 2.0 B6.2 - tested at 350 and locally are 520(148% more)
Mission QX-2 - tested at 500 and locally 800(160% more)
Triangle br03 - tested at 500 and locally 730(146% more)
Q Acoustics 3030i - tested at 400 and locally are 520(130% more)

As far as it seems the 3030i, br03 and the B6.2 are the best options compared to price, I can invest the 800 for the mission but not sure if its worth it at that markup...
Also I might get a discount of like 50 dollars of the elac's if that matters
Ty!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts