HELP - B&W MT30 or KEF 3005SE??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I am going out of my mind trying to decide between the two speaker packages, my heart says go for the MT-30. If it was a case of £999 for the KEF's and £1575 for the B&W then I would go for the KEFS. However a dealer tells me that they will do the MT-30 for £1150 and now I cannot make my mind up?

I have auditioned both in a very similar demo room as my lounge (yes really - the demo room was not finished and had a stud wall on one side which was not accoustically perfect)

I like the KEF centre speaker, but prefer the PV1 sub. I will wall mount the satellites and already know through reading whathifi - that the MT-1's are fiddly to wire up.

I really want someone to tell me that the KEFS are as good sonically with both music and movies as the B&W MT-30!

emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

B&W all the way mate. i used to own the MT30 set up until last month. you only have to wire them once and they are actually not that bad to connect. not a fan of the PV1, you are paying for looks, no one else has started making subs this way for that very reason. i would have a listen to the M1 speakers with a BK sub, or Rel 205, which are on a par with the pv1 but for £400 and £600 less. just proves you pay for the pv1 looks. either way would stick to b&w although the kef's are good.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="quasibongo"]B&W all the way mate. i used to own the MT30 set up until last month. you only have to wire them once and they are actually not that bad to connect. not a fan of the PV1, you are paying for looks, no one else has started making subs this way for that very reason. i would have a listen to the M1 speakers with a BK sub, or Rel 205, which are on a par with the pv1 but for £400 and £600 less. just proves you pay for the pv1 looks. either way would stick to b&w although the kef's are good.[/quote]

Thanks mate, so why do you not like the PV1? especially as KEF has attempted to replicate the design.

I had considered a BK sub, I forget the model number now that I looked at, but think I will also try a REL too. What do you think of an MT-1 as a centre, does it cut the maustard?

A

Anonymous

because the pv1 is a 400 quid sub at best and is not capable of sub bass sounds. owned one for 8 months and was the worst buying decision in 22 years of buying stereo and av kit. ket copied the look because it knows some people will buy on looks alone. rel 205 or bk would be better for you. m1 as a centre is fine considering size and cost. dont listen to what the ,ag says about the pv1, if it's so great why are all other sub makers copying this design? very good for music as it is very fast, but for movies forget it. mt rel 305 batters it and was 200 quid cheaper

A

Anonymous

Hi Mate

Could you let me know where you can get the MT-30 for £1150 please?

Braggy

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Braggy"]
Hi Mate

Could you let me know where you can get the MT-30 for £1150 please?

Braggy
[/quote]

I'd like to know that too. Cheapest I've seen is £1500.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]There's no question in my mind, the B&Ws are so much better. At £1150 as well, I think that's a steal and would lap them up quick![/quote]

I completely agree!!! (and I am a bit of a KEF fanboy!!!!).

I didn't audition the MT30's when I was shopping around as they were out of my budget range, but I have heard them since and they are superb.

If you can get them for that price you'll be very happy.

If not, IMO the jump in quality from the 3005's isn't worth another £500!

A

Anonymous

Dear all, Remember that for £1500 you can get a KHT3005SE with an EXTRA subwoofer!!

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I had a demo of both the 3005se and MT30 packages today - and finally decided on.......The MT30.

However I should point out that I dont think the difference in price is fully justified by the difference in sound, and if I liked the look of the KEF package more I would have gone for it. I chose the B&W on its sound and looks, both in my opinion better than the KEF, but if you don't mind the look of the KEFs it may be the better choice based on cost, if you get my drift.
Not that the KEF's are ugly, just I wanted silver and the KEF silver speakers have a black front which I thought looked a bit odd.

I got the MT30 for £1550 including a pair of B&W stands, 40 metres of Chord Carnival speaker cable and a QED Subwoofer cable. I was offered a slightly better deal from Sevenoaks but decided to stick to my local store for convenience.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
If you can go to Tottenham Court Rd in London, they're more than happy to do deals.

I got the MT-30 in white, but 7.1, not 5.1 for £1460 inc delivery.

Also the guy said he'd do me the Yamaha RXV-3800 for £1100 instead of the book RRP of £1300. It was still dearer than the £1000 Onkyo I ended up buying though, so I passed.

The thing that annoyed me is that B&W do stands for the M1s in Black & Silver, but not in white. Why make speakers white if you can't back it up with the other accesories?

nigpd

Nov 18, 2006
Visit site
I auditioined both of these too and went for the MT-30. I preferred the sound from the B&W's and the PV1 is superb.

I have the rear speakers on the B&W stands and read some advice on here (I think it was the Prof but not sure) to use QED silver micro cable to wire these up because of the fiddly connection. True to form it was sound advice and the silver micro fits a treat, no hassle.

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nigpd"]

I have the rear speakers on the B&W stands and read some advice on here (I think it was the Prof but not sure) to use QED silver micro cable to wire these up because of the fiddly connection. True to form it was sound advice and the silver micro fits a treat, no hassle.

[/quote]
You had me worried there for a minute, I just collected my MT30 and stands today, along with 40m of Chord Carnival Classic. Just checked though and the cable fits in fine.
Although I was a little suprised by the way it connects, my old Sony's were simply a case of strip & clip, the MT30 seem to wire into the stands, then the speaker plugs in on top. I thought this was a little strange.

Ksutty

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I have MT-30 package with stands and use silver anniversary XT cable but didn't find particularly fiddly to wire, sounds fantastic and would recommend to anyone.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hijack this thread but have seen the KEFs on a Yankee website for a LOT less than they cost here.

Anyone know of any reason they wouldn't work here ? From reading the spec s quickly they seemed to be the same. I know its more expensive for the shipping but I am talking HALF PRICE !!

A

Anonymous

I looked at both, and went MT30. I didn't like the eggs appearance, and I thought the B&W looked more stylish and classic in the design. They also look more substantial when in place, and have a real visual impact. Then, there is just the stunning PV1. You will have noticed I have not talked about sound once. And there is your answer as to whether you buy one or the other. I think they are pretty comparable for sound quality, and your demo should have given you the better one for you despite the less than ideal room. In any sensible opinion, the extra cash on the MT30 is for looks. If you want to pay for the looks, only you know what price they command over the eggs.

We can't help you on your decicion, as it is down to subjective ideas, and the two are too close to argue about in other ares. Besides, staff here have already said the MT30 wasn't as good as the 3005se when you took the PV1 out. That tells you all, if you read between the lines! Egss maybe edge it for sound?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts