Hello from Texas,

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I have upgraded my speakers after 20+ years from KEF Q80's to Spendor A6's and looking for opinions for a great integrated amp that would compliment these wonderful speakers. I am considering a Musical Fidelity M6i and could use some feedback. Thanks in advance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, and welcome.

I think the M6i is a great choice of amp.....plenty of current to drive and control the lovely A6s.

What other brands of amps do you have access to eg. Electrocompaniet, as it's best to have a selection to demo.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Jambalaya said:
I have upgraded my speakers after 20+ years from KEF Q80's to Spendor A6's and looking for opinions for a great integrated amp that would compliment these wonderful speakers. I am considering a Musical Fidelity M6i and could use some feedback. Thanks in advance.
Hello and welcome

I have a m6i amp and in the next couple of weeks I will be having a dem of the spender A6s I will post when I do it might give you some insight into the combo whats your musical choice

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome. I like the idea of the current capability of the M6i. I also have access to Creek, Destiny 2 integrated which is supposed to sound great but does not seem to get the comments about the bass, rhythm and drive the Musical Fidelity gets in reviews. On the other hand, the Creek seems to get a lot of great comments about the high end response. I am using a Parasound 125 wpc amp and a Quicksilver tube preamp but am learning I don't really like the sound of tubes that much. The have been a lot of comments around the Creeks high end being incredible with tons of definition but also compared to tubes so that scares me a bit and it's a five hour drive to audition. I like the idea of being able to listen at a reasonable volume but still being able to hear the texture and definition of my favorite jazz performers.

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your comments. I listen to quite a bit of jazz, classic rock (Dire Straits on of my favorites) and a broad range of music generally but no heavy metal. How long have you had your Mission 752's? Is the M6i new to your system? I have found myself on a quest to upgrade my electronics since getting the Spendors..

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Jambalaya said:
Thanks for your comments. I listen to quite a bit of jazz, classic rock (Dire Straits on of my favorites) and a broad range of music generally but no heavy metal. How long have you had your Mission 752's? Is the M6i new to your system? I have found myself on a quest to upgrade my electronics since getting the Spendors..

Hi Jambalaya I have had missions for about 15years and the M6i + cdp for 8 months Dire straits sounds good on my system I will let you know how it sounds on the spenders on the M6i. If I get tiime today I will try to book a dem some time soon:cheers:

Hi Jambalaya

Welcome to the WHF Forum :)

I think that you should also look at ATC's SIA2-150 MK2. The SIA2-150 mk2 with its low distortion, class A bias (up to 2/3 output), high current/voltage/damping factor help give the amp the quality of performance and power to grip, drive, energize and what i feel to ultimately add some zest to Spendor speakers just nicely :rockout:

Btw, Naim and Densen amplifiaction also work well with Spendor speakers. Budget permitting Naim's NAC 202/NAP 200 (yes its not an integrated) and Densen's Beat B-150 Plus are also worth consideration. Fwiw, from what i understand Naim is one of the brand of electronics that Spendor use to develop their speakers with.

Out of interest what source component/s will you be using please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Dear Rick @ Musicraft,

Thanks for your reply. I am planning to go listen to Naim today, funny you should recommend it today. Another integrated that is interesting is the Cambridge azur 851a. It gets great reviews but has less power, not by much, than the M6i and is virtually the same price. I am currently using a Cambridge 350c CD player which I plan to upgrade, a vintage Technics SL1700mk2 with Denon 110 homc and a new acquired Jolida JD9a preamp.

Any comments on the Cambridge 851a

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
You are CORRECT! :cheers: I am originally from Baton Rouge and my wife of 28 years is from New Orleans. We've settled just outside of Dallas after moving around the US quite a bit. I still love my jazz. Allen Toussaint's new album, The Bright Mississippi, recently came out and its very nice! We're close enough to New Orleans to enjoy the food and music but there is more business opportunity in the Dallas area PLUS we have the steaks and Mexican food as a bonus.

Jambalaya said:
Dear Rick @ Musicraft,

Thanks for your reply. I am planning to go listen to Naim today, funny you should recommend it today. Another integrated that is interesting is the Cambridge azur 851a. It gets great reviews but has less power, not by much, than the M6i and is virtually the same price. I am currently using a Cambridge 350c CD player which I plan to upgrade, a vintage Technics SL1700mk2 with Denon 110 homc and a new acquired Jolida JD9a preamp.

Any comments on the Cambridge 851a

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Jambalaya

Thanks for your reply.

Nice one :) What Naim amplification did you listen to?

Btw, sorry but i can't help you with the 851A as i am prety sure that i've not heard anything about the amp.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Thought I should tell you I bought the M6i and have had a few hours listening with my Spendor A6's and the sound is spectaular. Extremely well balanced sound at any volume with bass sounding powerful even at low volume. Midrange and high definition the same. But can turn it up without the sound becoming overly harsh. Very powerful amplifier but very detailed and can be delicate at the same time. I think you will love the Spendor's with it. Love to find out. I think I have a combination I'll be happy with for a very long time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Jambalaya said:
Thought I should tell you I bought the M6i and have had a few hours listening with my Spendor A6's and the sound is spectaular. Extremely well balanced sound at any volume with bass sounding powerful even at low volume. Midrange and high definition the same. But can turn it up without the sound becoming overly harsh. Very powerful amplifier but very detailed and can be delicate at the same time. I think you will love the Spendor's with it. Love to find out. I think I have a combination I'll be happy with for a very long time.

Good choice!

:beer: :beer:

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts