Hello everyone, rookie here

virologist

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone! Should have posted first here instead of hifi section.

I am quite a rookie to hifi, a big fan of classcial music, own lots of CDs, but only listened to them through a portable CD player previously.

Until I got a Onkyo TX-SR606 from my colleague for free, I became very interested in setting up my own hifi. Recently I acquired a Cambridge Audio Azur 540C v2 CD player for 40 pounds, and Wharfedale Pacific Evolution 30 floor standing speakers for 50 pounds, plus a pair of Sennheiser HD 600, these are all what I have.

I posted a question on hifi section already, gonna copy it to there, just wonder if my CD player, AV receiver and speakers will make a nice combo?? I will get a hand on Wharfedale speakers this Saturday, is Onkyo TX-SR606 actually powerful enough to power this speakers? I noticed they are 200w each as far as I can understand.

*smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

virologist said:
Hi everyone! Should have posted first here instead of hifi section.

I am quite a rookie to hifi, a big fan of classcial music, own lots of CDs, but only listened to them through a portable CD player previously.

Until I got a Onkyo TX-SR606 from my colleague for free, I became very interested in setting up my own hifi. Recently I acquired a Cambridge Audio Azur 540C v2 CD player for 40 pounds, and Wharfedale Pacific Evolution 30 floor standing speakers for 50 pounds, plus a pair of Sennheiser HD 600, these are all what I have.

I posted a question on hifi section already, gonna copy it to there, just wonder if my CD player, AV receiver and speakers will make a nice combo?? I will get a hand on Wharfedale speakers this Saturday, is Onkyo TX-SR606 actually powerful enough to power this speakers? I noticed they are 200w each as far as I can understand.

*smile*
Hullo!
regular_smile.gif

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
virologist said:

Hi, and welcome. Answering here as can't find the one you posted in the hi-fi section, and the search function here is about as much use as a chocolate blast-furnace! ;-)

Yes, that'll make a pretty nice set-up, and certainly a great leap forward from your portable. Just make sure the Onkyo is set up to 'direct' mode, so it doesn't try to do any of its surround sound stuff on the signal coming from your CD player and going to the speakers, which could make things sound very odd indeed. Oh, and if your friend has been using the Onkyo in a home cinema system it'll be worth resetting it to remove any delays, etc it may have set itself up with in that mode.

Basically you just want to go back to factory defaults, and you'll be fine.

And yes, it's more than powerful enough to drive the Wharfedales, so enjoy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts