Hello, and help please

2ptjoe

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
First off a hello from a newbie, and i do mean newbie to hifi , as well as the forum.

I,ve been looking at building a system up for some while now but my total lack of knoledge has held me back.

What do i want ? Well , i want to play my old records is a main thing, then CD,s . Now, i thought i was getting the hang of what an amplifier was, as in i needed an intergrated amp so i,ve been looking around for Arcam units on ebay , something like the Alpha 8 was looking good for me, but now i find out that these dont always support a turntable ?

I really dont know the heck what i am doing here, so can you intellegant lot on here please help a newbie build a system that can help me get back to my 80's record playing happy days .

Budget ?

Well if i knew what i was doing then i,ll go for around £1000 for amp, cd , turntable and speakers which i understand is not alot but we all have to start somewhere !

Thanks in advance

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Do you already have a turntable if so does it have a line level output the answers will make a difference to potential replies

for ex if you do have a TT with a line level output you can go straight to a line level input amp plus speakers and cd so maybe marantz and monitor audio kit, if not you could start with a Project TT the Debut series has (or at least used to have) line level out for about £300 that leave 700 for the rest which is getting tight....

Tommo

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
SOme amps do not have phono stage but some of the Arcam have phono stage added as an optional extra, so look out for those, the Alpha 9 is meant to be step up from the 8 but is about £200-£250, try to get a refurbished one if you can. You could probably get a Marantz 63 KI cd player for about £100. Not sure about turntables let someone else answer that. Speakers Mission 751 maybe? Do you want floorstanders or Standmounts?

2ptjoe

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.

At the minute i,ve nothing, no amps, turn tables, nothing.

Phono. Right, it needs to have phono added to it. Thanks guys, but you can see how basic i am in what i know. That said it,s going to be a fun experience !!!

ANY advice is both needed and greatfully received and with a little luck i,ll keep this open so i can add to it as i buy my first system based on peoples advice.

Edit"

As for speakers i,m easy on that to.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
TT Project TT or Rega for about £200.

Amp. Arcam, NAD, Yahama for about £100-£250. Or Linn for £300.

CD Marantz 63SE KI or 52SE for about £100.

That would leave about £500 for speakers which is prob. the most difficult and will make the biggest difference to the sound.

Really its best to try and hear some systems to get an idea of what you like. There are a few second hand or dealers that have used gear that maybe in your area. I know of some in Kent, Herts and Norfolk. If not you can hear new stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts