Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 188516

Can’t wait to try out this amp which is arriving today. Already have an H120 and my cyrus signature stuff for compare against. Can’t wait.

i look forward to your (honest) review !

edit :-

do you still have the hegel mohican cd player and if yes how do you plan to connect it to the h390 ?
(via digital or analogue rca / xlr ?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to be interested in your findings but have since found out it has no facility to adjust Left / right balance so it's off my audition list......
Pity because I found a cheap one....
That’s a shocking omission, though I realise that having a traditional knob for balance is probably uneccessary clutter in many a manufacturer ‘s eyes.

Otherwise the H390 seems pretty peerless at its price. Have you considered a Gato, Al? (Rushes off to check for balance)

Reactions: Al ears
That’s a shocking omission, though I realise that having a traditional knob for balance is probably uneccessary clutter in many a manufacturer ‘s eyes.

Otherwise the H390 seems pretty peerless at its price. Have you considered a Gato, Al? (Rushes off to check for balance)
Does not have to have a knob these days many have it as a menu based adjustment, not Hegel though unfortunately. Not sure Gato amps do either.
Parasound still looks firm favourite......

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
i look forward to your (honest) review !

edit :-

do you still have the hegel mohican cd player and if yes how do you plan to connect it to the h390 ?
(via digital or analogue rca / xlr ?)

Thanks very much. Don’t have the Mohican unfortunately as its gone back. If I did have both I’d use the balanced XLR outputs from the Mohican into the XLR inputs on this amp, which makes sense (To try) whenever you have XLR connections, so as to eliminate noise, which in my experience can make a difference - when I connected up my Cyrus amps with RCA versus XLR of the same branded cable, XLR is better. But let’s not start that old xlr v rca chestnut.

Having the XLR analogue inputs is good, plus the 75 ohm BNC digital input, as I’ll be able to compare the Hegel’s bit perfect DAC with RME ADI-2 DAC FS and Chord Qutest DAC’s, respectively.

daytona600

H390 nice amp but ultra competitive price bracket Musical Fidelity & Copland

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
H390 nice amp but ultra competitive price bracket Musical Fidelity & Copland

I always make my mind up myself (as I review too) since Jason Kennedy is one of the least trustworthy reviewers I feel - eg telling me a Mytek Brooklyn is bright (In balanced systems) and he doesn’t like it, only to never write anything negative. You‘ll find that regularly amongst his reviews. It’s not a proper appraisal - just marketing for manufacturer.

Reactions: TotalVictim

Well hopefully in the coming weeks we'll have an opportunity to hear a clients H390 in the store. Our client is looking to upgrade his amp which he is using with ATC's curved SCM40 passive monitors and a pair if JL Audio's E-110 subs. So far he has auditioned Anthem's STR integrated (which he informs me he prefers) and next on his list are NAD's M33 and then Lyngdorf Audio's TDAI-3400.

Anyway, i am looking forward to hearing the H390 v TDAI-3400 with curved SCM40's/E-110's.

Reactions: nopiano

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Well hopefully in the coming weeks we'll have an opportunity to hear a clients H390 in the store. Our client is looking to upgrade his amp which he is using with ATC's curved SCM40 passive monitors and a pair if JL Audio's E-110 subs. So far he has auditioned Anthem's STR integrated (which he informs me he prefers) and next on his list are NAD's M33 and then Lyngdorf Audio's TDAI-3400.

Anyway, i am looking forward to hearing the H390 v TDAI-3400 with curved SCM40's/E-110's.

he should just go to the active versions of the ATC’s to my mind then change to a pre amp. They are terrific when I tried them. I’d suggest Bryston (BP17 cubed) which is fantastic and best analogue pre I’ve tried. Even atc would never recommend the passive version over actives. If he has a h390, wouldn‘t a change to that Lyngdorf be a sideways step given it‘s down on power and ATC’s need power too. Also disadvantages with a passive crossover.

The DACs in the better Hegel’s are reputedly very good. M33 uses class D hypex modules which is , to my mind, different to more natural Class ab sound Hegel produces, although very powerful and high damping - but so is the sound engine technology of Hegel too. Ps I’ve nothing to sell,just my pennies worth.

D

Deleted member 188516

he should just go to the active versions of the ATC’s to my mind then change to a pre amp. They are terrific when I tried them. I’d suggest Bryston (BP17 cubed) which is fantastic and best analogue pre I’ve tried. Even atc would never recommend the passive version over actives. If he has a h390, wouldn‘t a change to that Lyngdorf be a sideways step given it‘s down on power and ATC’s need power too. Also disadvantages with a passive crossover.

The DACs in the better Hegel’s are reputedly very good. M33 uses class D hypex modules which is , to my mind, different to more natural Class ab sound Hegel produces, although very powerful and high damping - but so is the sound engine technology of Hegel too. Ps I’ve nothing to sell,just my pennies worth.

+1 for actives !

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts