Heeeelp.???

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.

Need help. The last couple of years i have been using my apple tv connected via optical cable to my amp. So i stream movies and music from my mac. But its very unstable especially with music, the music stops often etc.

Now im thinkin of buying a interconnect cable analogue, from my mac to my amp. Can anyone recommend a good cable, i looking for punchy, detailed and fast sound. Or can anyone recommend something similar to apple tv, so i can stream, but something stable??

Thanks.

Christian

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Why is your Apple TV unstable? Is it the network connection that isn't sufficient or is there another problem?

If you're going to connect your mac to your amp, don't waste any money on a good cable: the analogue output of a computer is generally not very good. There's also no way any cable is going to give you "punchy, detailed and fast sound". If you want good sound quality from a computer, you should buy an asynchronous USB DAC.

For your last question: there are a lot of streamers out there. A Sonos Connect can be a good choice if you're planning a multiroom system. What is your budget for this component?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You are most probably addressing the wrong issue. Your current system is probably superior to the one you are proposing.

You need to troubleshoot your ATV, start by doing a full reset, then set up from scratch and try different wi-fi channels, I would suggest higher channels 30+ or so. If you are able, do a scan and see what your neighbours are using, then stay as far away from them as possible.

This solves this issue most of the time. If it does not it is probably your router or internet connection.

Can you do a speedcheck? Make sure all your other equipment is switched on, sometimes interference can cut internet speed drastically.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
If you can't resolve the wifi then connect the ATV to the router directly with an ethernet cable or via the mains with homeplugs.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Crocodile said:
If you can't resolve the wifi then connect the ATV to the router directly with an ethernet cable or via the mains with homeplugs.

+1 to using an ethernet cable. My Airport Express used to disconnect every now and then when connected to the network through wifi.

Also, if you have a very jittery source and the amp is trying to de-jitter, the audio can be interrupted as the buffer in the DAC is depleted/overrun. But iTunes for example, or the regular operating system audio output in Mac OS X, wouldn't be jittery sources.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
unsleepable said:
Crocodile said:

+1 to using an ethernet cable. My Airport Express used to disconnect every now and then when connected to the network through wifi.

Also, if you have a very jittery source and the amp is trying to de-jitter, the audio can be interrupted as the buffer in the DAC is depleted/overrun. But iTunes for example, or the regular operating system audio output in Mac OS X, wouldn't be jittery sources.

If you have not already done this then I strongly recommend that you do so.

Assuming the ATV and router are close enough to do this I would look to see if you can use the ATV as a network extender, as you can with an AEX. In my setup I use the AEX as my wi-fi connection, the wi-fi on my router is turned off.

Then do scan of local networks and see what wi-fi channel is used most in your locale and use something different.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts