Heco Direkt

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Unison Research "Simply Italy".

https://www.whathifi.com/unison-research/simply-italy/review

Wow, that looks really, really beautiful and if it sounds as in th review...Thanks for pointing me here, my choice became more complicated now :)

My only concern is if the power is sufficient as my listening room is very large (about 40m2 with 3.5 m high ceiling).

And I should check if it has a cage or some protection for the valves. I'll see what they say on the maker's site.

bebelacus said:
CnoEvil said:
Unison Research "Simply Italy".

https://www.whathifi.com/unison-research/simply-italy/review

Wow, that looks really, really beautiful and if it sounds as in th review...Thanks for pointing me here, my choice became more complicated now :)

My only concern is if the power is sufficient as my listening room is very large (about 40m2 with 3.5 m high ceiling).

And I should check if it has a cage or some protection for the valves. I'll see what they say on the maker's site.

Personally I don't think you are going to get the best out of the Direkts in a room that size no matter what amp you drive them with.

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I need bigger speakers. But the Direkt manage to fill the room with ease, better than my previous Jade 5. The other option I had at that budget for a big speaker was Dali Opticon 8 and Wharfedale Jade 7 but no chance to demo. It's hard finding a really big speaker with good sound for such a big room (considering a similar budget).

I tried the Direkt with a SET tube amp. Volume wise was ok, still having big sound although not as massive. But it lacked the bass control and a bit of punch. That's why I think they need a bit more power.

I also have a BK XXLS400 subwoofer and tried it with Heco Direkt but I found they don't need a sub at all and never used it since then. Perhaps I need to play more with the crossover, phase settings. But it did work very well with the Jades.

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, a Sugden A21SE is on its way. I will get it around December 20. I cannot tell you how excited I am but you know the feeling.

chebby said:
Al Ears said:
Personally I don't think you are going to get the best out of the Direkts in a room that size no matter what amp you drive them with.

They are specified at 95dB, 1 watt, @1 metre.

Indeed, so don't need a monster amp to drive them, but they are designed to work best in small to medium sized rooms or so I am led to believe. They would obviously work in larger rooms but perhaps not optimally.

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess it's because they have been demoed and reviewed mostly in medium sized rooms and they worked fine despite their big size.
Anyway, they fill my big room with ease, much easier than my old Wharfedale Jade5 which were already doing a good job.

i moved from Wharfedale Jade 5, amazing speakers with a warm and very well rounded sound. They sounded full, smooth but with a serious bass, very punchy and articulate. The midrange was also beautifully judged. One of the best speakers ever not only for the price. As sometimes they go overlooked you can have them for a good price. I highly recommend them if you are in the search of a great sounding floorstander with a beautiful finish, built and high WAF. Actually my wife preferred the Jade's sound.

With the Direkt the game changed completely. They do sound very ''direkt'', with a very forward midrange, very crisp. The amount of detail is unbelievable, never listened to anything like that. There is a clarity which never stops to amaze me but without becoming fatiguing. Heco managed to create a very musical speaker without being analytical or boring. It's so freaky hearing the screechy noise a player makes with his hand on the guitar's neck or the floating sound of a cymbal.
The low frequencies are stunning, they do go really deep. At higher volume they make me feel the couch shaking but keeping the articulation at the same time.
Apart from the clarity the other amazing thing they do is SPEED! Man, they really are fast and responsive with a timing to die for. Almost any other speaker sounds lifeless now. I remember when starting to play "Shame" from Jeff Beck's Loud Hailer album. I was like ''wow!", I couldn't believe it.
Another plus is the way they manage to sound great at any volume. From low listening levels all the way to 11 they maintain the clarity and the big sound. And they do go really, really loud with becoming compressed or loosing the detail. It's great fun fooling around from time to time cranking up the volume.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
bebelacus said:
I guess it's because they have been demoed and reviewed mostly in medium sized rooms and they worked fine despite their big size. Anyway, they fill my big room with ease, much easier than my old Wharfedale Jade5 which were already doing a good job.

i moved from Wharfedale Jade 5, amazing speakers with a warm and very well rounded sound. They sounded full, smooth but with a serious bass, very punchy and articulate. The midrange was also beautifully judged. One of the best speakers ever not only for the price. As sometimes they go overlooked you can have them for a good price. I highly recommend them if you are in the search of a great sounding floorstander with a beautiful finish, built and high WAF. Actually my wife preferred the Jade's sound.

With the Direkt the game changed completely. They do sound very ''direkt'', with a very forward midrange, very crisp. The amount of detail is unbelievable, never listened to anything like that. There is a clarity which never stops to amaze me but without becoming fatiguing. Heco managed to create a very musical speaker without being analytical or boring. It's so freaky hearing the screechy noise a player makes with his hand on the guitar's neck or the floating sound of a cymbal. The low frequencies are stunning, they do go really deep. At higher volume they make me feel the couch shaking but keeping the articulation at the same time. Apart from the clarity the other amazing thing they do is SPEED! Man, they really are fast and responsive with a timing to die for. Almost any other speaker sounds lifeless now. I remember when starting to play "Shame" from Jeff Beck's Loud Hailer album. I was like ''wow!", I couldn't believe it. Another plus is the way they manage to sound great at any volume. From low listening levels all the way to 11 they maintain the clarity and the big sound. And they do go really, really loud with becoming compressed or loosing the detail. It's great fun fooling around from time to time cranking up the volume.

Hmm. Interesting. I had them. I remember I listened to them in a shop , was stunned like you. When I brought them home, not really...but because I used a poor amp with them - at that time Yamaha AS-501. Very muddy, slow. They were beaten by Leema speakers must say, but I think they need a good amp - then they will sing. I wish I could try them out with Cyrus or Accuphase. Also, I do not think they are so sensitive as it says. But I do not underrate them at all. Nice speakers but definitely overpriced !

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
stereoman said:
bebelacus said:
I guess it's because they have been demoed and reviewed mostly in medium sized rooms and they worked fine despite their big size. Anyway, they fill my big room with ease, much easier than my old Wharfedale Jade5 which were already doing a good job.

With the Direkt the game changed completely. They do sound very ''direkt'', with a very forward midrange, very crisp. The amount of detail is unbelievable, never listened to anything like that. There is a clarity which never stops to amaze me but without becoming fatiguing. Heco managed to create a very musical speaker without being analytical or boring. It's so freaky hearing the screechy noise a player makes with his hand on the guitar's neck or the floating sound of a cymbal. The low frequencies are stunning, they do go really deep. At higher volume they make me feel the couch shaking but keeping the articulation at the same time. Apart from the clarity the other amazing thing they do is SPEED! Man, they really are fast and responsive with a timing to die for. Almost any other speaker sounds lifeless now. I remember when starting to play "Shame" from Jeff Beck's Loud Hailer album. I was like ''wow!", I couldn't believe it. Another plus is the way they manage to sound great at any volume. From low listening levels all the way to 11 they maintain the clarity and the big sound. And they do go really, really loud with becoming compressed or loosing the detail. It's great fun fooling around from time to time cranking up the volume.

Hmm. Interesting. I had them. I remember I listened to them in a shop , was stunned like you. When I brought them home, not really...but because I used a poor amp with them - at that time Yamaha AS-501. Very muddy, slow. They were beaten by Leema speakers must say, but I think they need a good amp - then they will sing. I wish I could try them out with Cyrus or Accuphase. Also, I do not think they are so sensitive as it says. But I do not underrate them at all. Nice speakers but definitely overpriced !

Not sure about overpriced.

A lot of speaker for the money and a good bit of engineering has gone into those, including the drivers.

However, a speaker this sensitive was made for valves. My guess is that anything else will not sound too great.

Icon Audio make reasonably powerful examples and I think someone already mentioned PrimaLuna.

25+ good dynamic valve watts will go a long way (!) with 95db/w efficiency.

drummerman said:
However, a speaker this sensitive was made for valves. My guess is that anything else will not sound too great.
I don’t have any valve stuff here, but using the Direkt Einklangs with the Hegel H90, Moon Neo Ace, and Convert Technologies Plato (as well as the Bluesound PowerNode), I think it’s more down to the quality of the partnering electronics. Granted, valves will have their place with these speakers, but that doesn’t mean they can’t sound great without them :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
davidf said:
drummerman said:
I don’t have any valve stuff here, but using the Direkt Einklangs with the Hegel H90, Moon Neo Ace, and Convert Technologies Plato (as well as the Bluesound PowerNode), I think it’s more down to the quality of the partnering electronics. Granted, valves will have their place with these speakers, but that doesn’t mean they can’t sound great without them :)

I am happy to stand corrected by someone at the source :)

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree, probably overpriced like everything else in hifi today.
As for the sensitivity i am pretty sure they have it rather on the high side. With volume set at -30 db they sound as loud as my Jades or Spendors at -15 db. Jades and Spendors will also start going into distortion and sounding compressed. With the Direkt i can go easily to -5 dB while maintaining clarity. Although its already very loud but still listenable as there is very little distortion. They surely handle more power.
A-S501 may be a very good amp but probably not for them. Same as my 8200M. Being clean and controlled are a bit too much for the already lively and fast Hecos. They still sound very good but not at their best and i believe i can squeeze more out of them (in terms of quality sound) with a better/different amplifier.
The warm, liquid and inviting nature of Sugden that everyone raves about might be just what they need.
If it wont work it will still be a great trip.
I also have a backup plan. I have the Spendor A5 in the attic. A few years ago i listened to them druven by A21Se at a dealer in Singapore. It became my reference since then. I mean there are better systems but the A5/A21SE are the standard which i compare the others to. Sort of the yard stick, the Golf GTI among hot hatches.
So, it's a win anyway.
But i would really like this combo to work. Keep you posted

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
By the way. The guy who developed the Direkt (guess their chief engineer) has a pair of Direkt 2 way in his office, driven by a 30 Watts...solid state.
I was doing some correspondence with them and they said tubes and solid state would work equally fine as long as it's a quality design. They also endorsed Sugden as one of the good choices.
But they didnt say anything about the brand/model their ch eng is using:)

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The A21SE is in the house. Everything they say it's true and then some more. There is a sweetness and naturalness to the sound that it's hard to explain. At the same time the Direkt kept their speed and clarity but the sound flows easier, very liquid. It is fuller and rounded, effortless. The mids became so sweet i can't believe what i missed.
The Audiolab 8200M, as good as they are, cannot match the Sugden, at least with these speakers.
Well done, Sugden, a brilliant amp.
These days i will try it with my other speakers, Spendor A5

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts