Heavy Dance Music / Techno DJ - New speakers for studio/large bedroom...& some Hi Fi questions answered LOL

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guy's I new here.

A have a few questions as i'm a bit of a Hi Fi noob.

1) Why do most Hi Fi speakers have a low sensitivity of 87db? What effect does this have on the sound quality?

2) Just checking but 'Hi Fi' are designed to produce exciting sound rather than flat response like studio monitors, right?

3) I'm concerned about buying Hi Fi - I read a what hi fi review example in a review that the b&W 600 series are superb speakers. However, they are apparently only superb as long as you are not playing techno & other forms of loud electronic music. I will also use them to play back rock music. Can Hi Fi speakers cater for Techno & heavy dance music?

4) Would I be better off with studio monitors such as KRK G2 8's or Genelec's or even small PA?

I need a pair of speakers that will play techno at high volumes...I'd like the max output to be around 110db+ SLP. I want plenty of low end and an exciting and detailed sound warm sound to go with my allen & heath mixer. The need to have good sound dispertion and be clear, fast and punchy. I'm a bit of a bass head
emotion-11.gif
The PMC DB1i look good from the review - bigger would be better though, perhaps.

Budget...below £1000 - Ideally around the £300-£600 - but what the hell...Music is my first love.

I also need advice on a nice amp to go with them too if they're not passive

Thanks!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO most hifi speakers that [play loud, play loud BUT theyre more refined that 'club' speakers per say.

If you want loud have you considered Cerwin Vega etc...

If you really want hifi speakers that go lound and for that stated budget, id be tempted to look at B&W 603 S2's, 603 S3's, 604 S3's (if you can find them). All the afore mentuioned would have to be off eBay.

If you want new then take a look at the Monitor Audio RS6's or RS8's or the B&W 683's.

If you want an amp in that budget as well then id go for the first set of B&W speakers with a Musical Fidelity X-A1 or X-A2 integrated amp or something like the NAD C352 or C355BEE integrated amps.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The B&W's are probably your best bet but realisically at that volume they will stuggle too over a long period. A NAD 372 will be more than ample power wise. I run a pair of Epos M12's and although small they put out a very clear punchy sound and will play to 100-105 db. They are a joy to mix from and I have stuggled to find another set of speakers that will work low down and with high volume and I have tried loads. I play mostly techno

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Having a re-think; if this syetm is for your bedroom id go for a set of B&W 602 S2's on decent stands and get youself a good sub as well!

Partner them with a decent NAD amp and youre laughing!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your advice so far guys. These thing cooments regarding the B&W 685 concern me:

"These are good speakers, great detail, nicely balanced, but they're not
the most exciting. This may ofcourse be due to what they're partnered
with - the Arcams are hardly 'rocking'. "

"I have these speakers since last week and I am thinking about returning
them. They are not for everybody and not for every type of music (not
for punk, electronic-rock, etc). Listen to them first (not like me)."

A Sound & Vision review siad that B&W offered a refined "polite, pipe and slippers approach" rather than offering raw excitement.
emotion-20.gif

Would floor standing speakers be any good to me...i'll be standing whilst djing so they won't be at optimum height? The 602's are hard to find so the 684s might be the alternative from B&W?
Maybe they don't necessarily need to go that loud. I rarely play my current 110db slp's at more than 3/4 volume. They are 100W/Channel.My room size is approx 12 x 13 ft.

Studio Monitors or Hi Fi?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Why are you looking at the B&W 685's?

No one has mentioned them. They are very good speakers but not for what you want them for.

The other B&W's that have been mentioned are the older series and arent as refined as the 685's etc...

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I guess you can't generalize. although the review about B&W's 'polite, pipe and slippers' approach seemed to. It'd be hard to get the the the ones recommended..is the 684 an equivalent or more refined? Also as I'll be djing, they woun't be at optimum position (head height) as i'll be standing up). Would this matter with floorstanding speakers?

The 603's & 602 do look awesome! I liked the review of the m12's on here too.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Well yes as the floorstanders will never be anywhere near head height if youre standing.

If you do want head height then id say youd have to look at standmount speakers on stands on a higher surface other thean the floor OR on wall brackets but most of the standmount speakers mentioned may be too heavy!

I still think getting decent standmount speakers and a decent sub would be your best bet. Its just the height issue that'll casue the problems

A

Anonymous

Which do you have the m12.2 / m12i? Will the both provde the techn response I want?

Do you think it's necessay/best to have them at head hight? Thanks for the epos tip. TBH i rarely play above 3/4 volume on my 110 SLP's - It hurts after a while lol. What kinds of techno do you play - hawtin / jeff mills? Do subs make all the difference?

Do many Hi Fi amps have xlr inputs so I can use these on my mixer?

What benefits will Hi Fi speakers have over studio monitors?

A

Anonymous

I play a lot of techno (mainly detroit, but a fair amount of the harder European stuff as well), house and other electronic stuff and recently got the B&W 685's and coupled it the Roksan Kandy L.III. They sound great but I found that they were lacking a bit on the bottom end so I ended up getting the Epos M sub (reduced to £250 at Superfi) to go with it. I'm now really happy with the results. I suspect that the 685's on their own will offer nowhere near the amount of bass you're looking for though.

also, monitors offer a more flat/neutral sound - useful for producing, not so good for general listening.

A

Anonymous

If you like your techno I would recommend some standmounts and a sub, or some floorstanders. If you get standmounts only,there will always be a bit of the music missing. That is unless you go for the old school standmounts, like Celestion 551's that are built like a tank and contain 12'' bass cones. I have used these for years and the bass is very satisfying!!!

A

Anonymous

Oh, I thought you meant the you had the epos speakers (not sub). Were you recommending the epos m12i speakers anyway? Yeah I don't know if monitors will give me the excitment i'm looking for - They would come in handy cost wise as I produce but I have some to make do with. I noticed PMC which are top rated monitors also seem to get to hi-fi reviews too. Their passives are rated for both hi fi (by what hi fi) and producing (by Soundonsound) so there must be some compromise. It's strange listening to monitors and then speakers i'm so used to lower quality speakers altering the music that flat sounds wierd
emotion-43.gif
WOW..Those Celestions are OLD SKOOL!

A

Anonymous

There's a pair of Wharefale E90 on ebay if you're interested - loudest speakers I've ever heard and they certainly hit hard!

I had a thread, but somebody deleted it...

A

Anonymous

They look like they could pack a punch! I think I'm going for big bookshelves though as I'll be using them standing up. Anyone got thoughs on the KRK RP8 G2's? SOS gave them a great review for the money.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
HardWax:

Which do you have the m12.2 / m12i? Will the both provde the techn response I want?

Do you think it's necessay/best to have them at head hight? Thanks for the epos tip. TBH i rarely play above 3/4 volume on my 110 SLP's - It hurts after a while lol. What kinds of techno do you play - hawtin / jeff mills? Do subs make all the difference?

Do many Hi Fi amps have xlr inputs so I can use these on my mixer?

What benefits will Hi Fi speakers have over studio monitors?

I have m12's - I have had them for 4 or 5 years now and they take a battering. I have them at stnd height either side of my decks and it is easy to mix from them in that position. If you put them on brackets on the wall or 1m stands you will not need as much volume. I only use a sub if I am really pushing it or having a big party, my room is twice the size of yours and the speakers easily fill it with sound with 20 people or so.

Hifi amps do have XLRs in but unless you wish to run a hifi at the same time you wouldnt be spening your money wisely. I used to have a Xone:62 mixer and into a varierty of amps it was the weak point - although a superb sounding mixer the preamp just isnt at a hi-fi standard. I just run my current mixer into a power amp right now.

As for techno I play everything from minimal through to gabba

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the great advice. The 92 is suposed to sound 'better' - i didn't forsee it's pre-amps being called a weak point - What mixer sounds better - the DJM 800 (with digital out) or something lke formula sound? What amp would you recommend to go with the m12's for a relatively flat and smooth response. If it was below 300 pounds that'd be great. Do you have any experience with studio monitors - I find it strange that studio monitors are directional but the PMC Hi Fi models are recomended by both what HI Fi and Sound On Sound?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Allen & Heaths sound great, way better than the Pioneers IMO - you really notice it in a club on a really big system. It is more that if you send your mixer into a £1000 amp you will not hear much difference between that and a £500 amp as the mixer gets in the way. A NAD 272 ( i think that is the current model) will do you fine or look out for a Rotel RA03 or whatever they are now - real value for money.

I have not used studio monitors so cant comment, it has always been hifi for me. We have just taken on PMC as a brand though so I i will give them a shot tomorrow and see how they sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts